Mechanic cant fugure it out, can anyone here help?

99 4 stroke 50hp wont idle. he has rebuilt carbs, put new part, (something to do with the choke on this particular motor), new fuel filters and tried auxiliary gas tank. will start and run at high idle but when you idle down it dies. Will start right up again but will not idle. 5 mechanics have looked at this at the shop and none can solve the problem. anyone experienced this before?
    '08 224 lowe tritoon
    999 hdci SI

2. Banned
    What's the serial #, that will help Don. This shop where the mechanics are at - is this a Certified Mercury Shop?

For a list of Mercury Repair Centers in Oklahoma (since you didn't specify the city) look here and choose https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...999&q=Oklahoma

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the forum, and provide your Engine Serial Number when posting. Thanks!

It will also be helpful to know results of:

-Compression Test

-Spark Test

-Cam timing been checked/confirmed to be correct

-Carbs/Linkages Synchronized with Vaccumate? What is the variance?

-Idle Air Screws removed, passages cleaned, screws reinstalled, and new TAMPER plugs installed?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the forum, and provide your Engine Serial Number when posting. Thanks!

It will also be helpful to know results of:

-Compression Test

-Spark Test

-Cam timing been checked/confirmed to be correct

-Carbs/Linkages Synchronized with Vaccumate? What is the variance?

-Idle Air Screws removed, passages cleaned, screws reinstalled, and new TAMPER plugs installed?
    I will try to get the serial number today and post it. compression and spark were good. timing was checked and good. carbs were rebuilt so I would think all the screws were cleaned and reinstalled. as for vaccumate, don't know
    '08 224 lowe tritoon
    999 hdci SI

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Better check on those screws.... they are HIDDEN from view (until they drill and remove the Tamper Plugs).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Ok folks, sorry for the delay. here is the serial #0G893066 I think. its hard to read.
    also I have vacuum results. said it was 8 inch lbs. They also told me they have discovered if you manually prime the bulb while started it will idle longer but still dies.
    '08 224 lowe tritoon
    999 hdci SI

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully that's not a VARIANCE of 8" hg (which would NOT be acceptable).

Might want to check the mechanical fuel pump. I've seen a few of these where the o-ring that seals the shaft "hardens"... causing the pump shaft to stick (and preventing it from returning- this drastically lowering fuel supply).

8. Member
    thanks, will pass that on
    '08 224 lowe tritoon
    999 hdci SI

9. Member
    [QUOTE=EuropeanAM;6129028]Hopefully that's not a VARIANCE of 8" hg (which would NOT be acceptable).

Ok thx, I have some more specific info. the mechanic said the pressure results were as follows: (tested at the fuel pump)

In 8
    middle out, 20
    top out, 30
    '08 224 lowe tritoon
    999 hdci SI

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    [QUOTE=david.e;6132289]
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Hopefully that's not a VARIANCE of 8" hg (which would NOT be acceptable).

Ok thx, I have some more specific info. the mechanic said the pressure results were as follows: (tested at the fuel pump)

In 8
    middle out, 20
    top out, 30
    Those tests don't add up to any traditional or known testing method, and ALL of the readings provided substantially exceed the specifications of the engine (and not by a small margin, either).

I'm wondering if perhaps a NEW FUEL TANK was installed (with a fuel cap that "clicks" when tightened)?

If so... an FDV (Fuel Demand Valve) is MANDATORY (must be installed to prevent pressurized fuel from reaching the engine).