bass tracker trolling motor upgrade

hello, I have a 2008 bass tracker 170tx with a shitty 46 thrust 12v motorguide trolling motor. I am replacing with a 24V 70 thurst minn kota maxxum. I already know I have limited space for the batteries. I need to get 2 new deep cycle batteries, any recomandations on which to get? Also will I be able to put a connector plug onto the power wires on my minn kota that will fit the plug in that is on my boat from the motorguide? Will I have to redo all the wiring in order to switch to 24v.
    Thanks for any replies ,
    Gio

2. Member
    I upgraded my factory MG to a 80# Terrova several years ago. I pretty much overhauled everything. That way I would know that everything was new and limit any problems. The factory wiring for the Mg is gonna be too small for your new MK70 #. Run #6 wire , you wont be sorry. I also changed out the factory plugs and put the MK plugs because they have #6 wire adaptor for the Trolling motor plug. And also add a circuit breaker near battery

3. Member
    I just installed a new Motorguide X3 digital variable speed 55lb with the Sahara blade to replace my old Motorguide 43 on my G3 Pro175 (I believe the same size as your Tracker ) and I fish the Tidal Potomac. This motor gives me more than enough trolling power on weedy tidal waters and runs all day on a size 27 12V battery with power to spare. The motor runs on 8 guage wire, so I didn't have to change anything except moving the plug to the new motor.

4. Member
    I would do it just like ntslam did his. Assuming that you have thinner gauge wiring than 6, I would redo it all with good quality 6 gauge wiring, a Marinco or comparable receptacle and plug, 4 gauge jumper on the batteries, appropriate circuit breakers and two good batteries. You should be ok with a couple of 27 series deep cycle batteries with your rig. We spend most of our time on the troller so might as well be nice and fresh.
    Last edited by catdude28; 04-30-2015 at 02:40 PM.

5. Member
    Welcome to the BBC, I see it's your second post.
    For the 24V 70#, 8ga will be OK, running 6 would be better. Breaker needs to be sized to the wiring and not just picked cause MinnKota says that's the one to use. If you have to have a bigger breaker and the wire will not accommodate, you will have to rewire with appropriate wire. 27 series batteries will be fine and I can tell you, it's a real trick to configure the back compartment in order to find a way to add the battery. I would suggest a good quality plug and not the molded type that is used by Tracker.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]