Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Its the front in the first pic you can still see where the post is angled forward.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Its the front in the first pic you can still see where the post is angled forward.
    I think I see that - no matter - should not have happened.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Mine does not have broken welds but I noticed that the winch assembly has moved back on the frame. I need to move it back because the bunks do not extend past the transom.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

The u bolts came lose on mine today. Going on a trip Monday with boat. Plan to check all bolts.

5. Member
    Received a call from dealer today. He said 2-4 weeks to get a new post from Ranger. Going to pick it up tomorrow and have my neighbor fix it the right way. I guess a call to Ranger is in order. After my neighbor repairs the post, I won't want to put the new one on. Still a great boat, just disappointed and not willing to let it set for weeks during great fishing weather. Does anyone have a contact at Ranger I can speak with?
    2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875
    Mercury 200 Fourstroke Pro XS
    Hummingbird Helix 12 Console & Bow

Maybe its just the pic but that looks like the metal is broke not a weld, but like I said it could just be the pic
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfd455 View Post
    Received a call from dealer today. He said 2-4 weeks to get a new post from Ranger. Going to pick it up tomorrow and have my neighbor fix it the right way. I guess a call to Ranger is in order. After my neighbor repairs the post, I won't want to put the new one on. Still a great boat, just disappointed and not willing to let it set for weeks during great fishing weather. Does anyone have a contact at Ranger I can speak with?

My opinion is that the right thing to do from "Ranger Parts dept. through the dealer" would be to have a 2-3 day delivery of the replacement part to the dealership with the dealer installing the new part at no charge to the buyer. In this day and age of overnight shipping, there is really NO reason this cannot happen. If it were a part that had to be custom made I could understand the delay, but this is a part that is mass produced, and they probably have 100's of them in the parts warehouse waiting to be assembled onto a new trailer.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    My opinion is that the right thing to do from "Ranger Parts dept. through the dealer" would be to have a 2-3 day delivery of the replacement part to the dealership with the dealer installing the new part at no charge to the buyer. In this day and age of overnight shipping, there is really NO reason this cannot happen. If it were a part that had to be custom made I could understand the delay, but this is a part that is mass produced, and they probably have 100's of them in the parts warehouse waiting to be assembled onto a new trailer.
    I would agree with this for the simple reason if something else structurally caused the weld to break, your trailer warranty will be voided.

It looks like the metal has cracked/torn right above the weld. It's hard to see from the photo. The material they used is probably to light.
    I would weld it up solid, clean It up, paint it and use it while waiting for he other one. It should not have happened and it should not take
    2 weeks to get another one. Good luck speaking with someone at Ranger. Took me 4 days before I got to speak with someone. They kept saying someone would call back within an hour and it never happened. On the 4th day I told the receptionist if I didn't get to talk to someone, I would just shop for another brand. She said hold on while I go get someone. I think/hope this Aluminum series will improve with time and fix and change the things that need changing-fixing.

I also disagree with the thought that the practice of winching a boat on the trailer is not recommended. That trailer SHOULD be made strong enough to winch it the entire way on all day every day if the owner so chooses. If that mount is collapsing, tearing, bending etc. from pulling
    with winch, I proves they didn't use strong enough material.

Haven't met a lake in Texas with this no power load silliness but then again we have common sense... In all seriousness its easy to load a boat without power loading and still only have to crank the handle a few turns, if you trust your driving skills that is. I come in hot, little faster than most guys that idle up to the trailer and let her slide right up to the roller, jump out crank a turn or two and its done. Will not let my son do this as he is new to boat operation but I do this every time and its funny to see guys faces when you come in to the trailer with a little gumption.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Also if you do need to winch the boat on just back in a little deeper with the trailer so it floats farther forward. Far less strain this way. Regardless the stand on these trailers needs a little attention. Myself I would just weld it up properly and repaint with some crinkle paint so it matches and not look back.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Also if you do need to winch the boat on just back in a little deeper with the trailer so it floats farther forward. Far less strain this way. Regardless the stand on these trailers needs a little attention. Myself I would just weld it up properly and repaint with some crinkle paint so it matches and not look back.
    In my case,This causes the boat to load crooked. I powerload when I can.

14. Member
    Well it is broke again in the same spot. This one is about two years old. I was winching the boat up the rest of the way on Saturday and noticed it was lifting up. Not good at all. Sounds like I have a great dealership in Dixie Marine. They are going to get another from Ranger.

Ranger was not as cooperative after calling them first.
    2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875
    Mercury 200 Fourstroke Pro XS
    Hummingbird Helix 12 Console & Bow

15. Member
    a bevel on the vertical part and a simple weave weld would fix the problem. there is no penetration.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

The newer stands are welded around the corners and have a small triangle gusset welded between the post and base. I had no problem with mine to date, but knowing this has been a weak point, I built a guy/brace for mine out of 1.25" wide flat bar stock and painted it with bed liner. It runs from the post under the winch mounting plate to the trailer tongue about where the trailer jack mounts. I used stainless bolts and bolted it completely thru the post at the top and into the inside of the tongue at the bottom. I noticed when the winch was tightened the mount would flex a bit. This simple guy takes absolutely all the flex out, it cannot move and put strain on the base plate welds and the guy is completely out of the way.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    The newer stands are welded around the corners and have a small triangle gusset welded between the post and base. I had no problem with mine to date, but knowing this has been a weak point, I built a guy/brace for mine out of 1.25" wide flat bar stock and painted it with bed liner. It runs from the post under the winch mounting plate to the trailer tongue about where the trailer jack mounts. I used stainless bolts and bolted it completely thru the post at the top and into the inside of the tongue at the bottom. I noticed when the winch was tightened the mount would flex a bit. This simple guy takes absolutely all the flex out, it cannot move and put strain on the base plate welds and the guy is completely out of the way.
    Would you mind posting a picture of this modification. Thanks.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    Would you mind posting a picture of this modification. Thanks.
    I will be glad to but it will be tonight before I can get some pictures and post them.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I will be glad to but it will be tonight before I can get some pictures and post them.
    No rush, just whenever you get a chance.

I've noticed when I tighten my winch that the mount has a little flex in it just like you were describing. Sounds like I may want to modify mine as well.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Ok, this is my solution for strengthening the winch post. The strap is a piece of 1.25" x 0.125" zinc plated steel flat bar stock. This is stiff stuff, not soft mild steel. I cut to length, formed angles, drilled mounting holes, and painted it with rattle can undercoating. Pretty simple manufacturing. It is bolted on with stainless bolts. The bolt on the top is thru both sides of the winch post and the bolt on the tongue has a lock nut inside the trailer tube. The angle puts a linear pull on this strap when the winch has tension on it, which like a guy cable holding a tower, is very strong on a linear pull. The bolts and ends are hidden up inside the winch platform and under the tongue step. When I marked for my hole in the tongue, I moved the mark slightly away from the stand. This way when the bolt was tightened it slightly pre-tensioned the flat bar.

Last edited by Skeeterbait; 07-17-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast