Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Champion Livewell operation question.

I have a 2001 Champion 206 Elite which I purchased last fall. I can't figure out the livewell operation. How does it fill? How do you empty it? How does the aerator work, if that's adviseable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the port livewell:

Here is a picture of the starboard livewell:

Here is a picture of the livewell control:

Here is a picture of the dash switches:

I appreciate any help. Thanks to all the great people at BBC.

BassinBarrister
    2001 ChampioN 206 Elite
    225 Yamaha VMax EFI
    25P Trophy Plus Prop

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (BassinBarrister)

Ok...here ya go...

To fill and use cycling lake to livewell..

1. Livewell control under shifter...closed.
    2. Aerator switch on dash...Manual until livewell fills to where you want.
    3. Switch it to automatic and control cycle of water in and out of lake and livewell by using the timer switch.

To use bubbling without moving water from lake to boat and back...

1. Aerator switch centered (off)
    2. Hydro air switch on...If it is really hot, put it on manual so it runs constantly. If not so hot, running down the lake, or on trailer waiting to weigh in...can be either manual or auto.

To empty....if you do not have a pump-out switch, then move the livewell control valve under the shifter to the open position...

That's it!

I have a 2001 also, with similar controls, allthough arranged differently.

The open/closed valve opens and closes the drain for the livewell. Close it to fill, and open it when you want it to drain.

The aerate switch will fill the well, manual runs continually and auto will cycle off and on.

The hydro switch circulates and aerates the water that is in the well. Manual will run nonstop, and auto will cycle off and on. The timer dial adjusts how long the cycle is when the switch is in auto.

Hope this makes sense..

This is the place to get your questions answered - I have learned a ton here.

Enjoy the ChamP.

Rob

Mountain Home ChamP 181

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (Lea)

Ya beat me to it Lea

Mountain Home ChamP 181

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (WaYoop)

Less than a minute apart!!!!!

Are we good, or what!!!!!

6. Member

I have a similar setup on my 2000 203 the other day at a tournament we came in early and wanted to circulate the water that was in the livewells while the boat was on the trailer to keep the fish happy.

I did something wrong because every so often the water would pump out of a port hole in the back of the boat and I was losing all the water. I turned everything off and luckily had the fish survive, it was 103 outside!

Any help on what I did or didnt do would be great. or what you guys do when in my situation.

Shamgar

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (shamgar98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamgar98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a similar setup on my 2000 203 the other day at a tournament we came in early and wanted to circulate the water that was in the livewells while the boat was on the trailer to keep the fish happy.

I did something wrong because every so often the water would pump out of a port hole in the back of the boat and I was losing all the water. I turned everything off and luckily had the fish survive, it was 103 outside!

Any help on what I did or didnt do would be great. or what you guys do when in my situation.

Shamgar

</TD></TR></TABLE>

See the instructions I just posted... You evidently had either a pump out switch on or the Aerator switch on. That will pump water out and in when you are in the water When on the trailer, do not use the Aerator switch!!!

8. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lea &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See the instructions I just posted... You evidently had either a pump out switch on or the Aerator switch on. That will pump water out and in when you are in the water When on the trailer, do not use the Aerator switch!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

FWIW, on my 2000 203, the pumpout switch was VERY easy to hit and not realize it. Don't ask how I know....
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

9. Member

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (08 198 Champ)

Also, on your livewell, I think it's very possible for a fish to change sides while the divider is up. There is a slot up there that is big enough for a fish to go thru, you can fix it with a few pop rivits and a small sheet of aluminum.

It is only a problem here when we fish Lake Norman. All those fish are dinks. On HRL no fish that will keep will fit thru the hole ...
    Richard
    ChampioN/Mercury
    High Rock Lake NC

Thanks, Lea and everyone else. Great people and a great site. Thanks to Al, also.
    BassinBarrister
    2001 ChampioN 206 Elite
    225 Yamaha VMax EFI
    25P Trophy Plus Prop

11. Member

I have a question to add to this... On the timer, if your turn it to max is that the max time on or off?
    Phoenix 721 PRO XP / Mercury 250 PRO XS

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (snipedu)

On mine max is "max time running on".

Rob

Mountain Home ChamP 181

Question for you Snipe - How does that 188 run with the 200 EFI?

Thanks, Rob

Mountain Home ChamP 181

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (WaYoop)

Add another question. Can you have both the hydro air and aerator on auto at the same time or do you have to only have one on? And if you can only have one on which is best. My manual timer works but my auto does not I turned them both on and it never cycled. I thought it was a bad switch but maybe I am wrong.

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (pattece)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pattece &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Add another question. Can you have both the hydro air and aerator on auto at the same time or do you have to only have one on? And if you can only have one on which is best. My manual timer works but my auto does not I turned them both on and it never cycled. I thought it was a bad switch but maybe I am wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The Aerator is going to pull new water in and cycle it back out. The Hydro is so you can keep your catch alive when on trailer or in hot weather when you do not want to bring in hot water from the lake. Also, if you use any additives, you definitely want to use only Hydro, since the areator would dump it all in the lake. As for your timer. Try using only the aerator on Auto and see if it cycles. Then try only Hydro on auto and see if it cycles. In hot weather, I use Hydro on manual...period! But, no, do not use them both at the same time...

16. Member

One more question to add to this very informative post.....I have a '99 193elite (purchased last year) and the livewell looks the same as the one pictured. Is there a plug or filter that's suppose to go in the drain on the bottom?

17. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (dvs-2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dvs-2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One more question to add to this very informative post.....I have a '99 193elite (purchased last year) and the livewell looks the same as the one pictured. Is there a plug or filter that's suppose to go in the drain on the bottom? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No.... If all components are working correctly, the system works as I described. No plugs!!!

Edit...I need to go look at mine. I think there may be a screen in there....but definitely no plugs...

18. Member

Thanks.

19. Member

Re: Champion Livewell operation question. (dvs-2)

So if im wanting to circulate the lake water and i fill the wells, tune aerator to auto it will pump water in and it should turn the pump out on and pump water out automatically?
    Phoenix 721 PRO XP / Mercury 250 PRO XS

20. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snipedu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So if im wanting to circulate the lake water and i fill the wells, tune aerator to auto it will pump water in and it should turn the pump out on and pump water out automatically?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes... first fill wells with Aerator on manual and then switch to Auto. Be sure your valve below shifter is set to "closed". Water will then come in from lake and out the overflow...

oops...edit...No, it does not turn on a pumpout. Water simply goes out the overflow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast