250 optimax air compressor

07 optimax 250 s#1b459044 I'm having a oil leak at the end cap im suspecting it's the two O rings failing. Would it be a good idea to replace those vs the whole unit? The motor runs fine but I did get a 4 beep warning the last time out. And if I did replace the O rings only would I still need to the prime procedure? Don or anyone with knowledge please advise

2. Member
    Oh yeah should there be any odd noise from compressor? Almost like you can hear pump air sorta like a pop pop pop

3. Member
    Just had mine blow, I would not run it until you get it figured out. They are simple to replace if you have some mechanical knowledge but kind of pricey, I'd let someone else chime in here. All I know is you don't want it to blow!

4. Member
    Did yours started to run different or was it just all the sudden? I would prefer to just get a new one but just not sure if mine is actually bad or just leaking a little oil.

5. Member
    My first compressor failure caused the engine to blow up, no warning. The second failure 200 hrs later was detected by a small oil leak. Upon inspection there were lots of metal shavings in the bottom of the compressor housing. Tech said the compressor was shot. Would be wise in my opinion to have this addressed by a pro.The compressor is a grand vs 6k for a rebuild. All to catch a bass.

6. Member
    Mine was pretty much sudden ,after a long run about 300yards from my spot I dropped rpms at WOT, the rest is history. Still working on getting it right

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tou60z View Post
    07 optimax 250 s#1b459044 I'm having a oil leak at the end cap im suspecting it's the two O rings failing. Would it be a good idea to replace those vs the whole unit? The motor runs fine but I did get a 4 beep warning the last time out. And if I did replace the O rings only would I still need to the prime procedure? Don or anyone with knowledge please advise
    First and foremost- you need to CONFIRM where that leak is coming from. The end-cap o-rings are replaceable (the end cap and seal ARE NOT... requires replacement of the complete compressor assembly).

Before replacing any seals in a compressor- it should be INSPECTED to confirm that it is in good condition (no bearing/crankpin wear, no cylinder wear, reeds intact). Then, and only then, would be it be appropriate to replace o-rings.

If any portion of the oil delivery system on your engine is opened (INCLUDING the endcap of the air compressor), an Oil Pump Prime Sequence must be completed on the Computer Diagnostic System, or a DDT.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    How can you tell if an air compressor has been replaced. I'm looking at an 05 Opti 250 and want to make sure the air compressor is the newer one vs the ones that have issues.

9. Member
    Review the work history with ANY Mercury Dealer.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesCoffin View Post
    How can you tell if an air compressor has been replaced. I'm looking at an 05 Opti 250 and want to make sure the air compressor is the newer one vs the ones that have issues.
    You can provide the serial number in a separate thread, or to a Mercury Dealer, to check what may have been done while the engine was under warranty.

Your "newer one vs the ones that have issues" statement is working on a premise that you based on suspect information. I have seen no significant difference in the failure rates of any particular 3L compressor (2003 or later built engines). This does not take into account compressor "reed" problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor