Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

prop help please for 181 Champion

I have a champion 181 with a Mariner EFI 150. I have a 23 temptest prop on the Mariner and am thinking about going to the Fury? Have any of you noticed as positive change in your boat as what I am hearing from every other make of boat? Just wanting some imput from other Champion owner. Right now alone, my top end is about 60mph sometimes 61 or 58,59. How much better performance will the fury prop make for me? Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: prop help please for 181 Champion (cknails181)

Welcome to BBC and the Champion forum!!!

I don't know if any of our 181 owners are running a Fury...But if someone is, they will be here shortly....

3. Banned

Re: prop help please for 181 Champion (Lea)

Don't know of anyone running a Fury on a 150/181 combo... I think the smallest pitch available is 24 and they are priced pretty high... Your numbers might improve by simply having the 23p worked... I know it helped mine...

4. Member

Re: prop help please for 181 Champion (Gunnar)

Hey Gunnar -

I've read about that 'worked' thing a couple times. What's that really mean?

I'm running a 181 with a Merc 150 EFI and I have a Tempest + in 21P. I'm getting 62-63 - but I've only tried that a couple times in kinda choppy conditions (I'm still new to this boat) so I may get a bit more.

That's speedo - not GPS and I'm not sure I trust my tac. I think it's around 5900 to 6000 but I need to confirm that....

5. Member

Re: prop help please for 181 Champion (ILRiverRat)

I have a 23p Trophy on mine (same setup 181/150 merc) and I was getting up to 6000 rpm. I think I read somewhere that's a bit high. I'd be curious to see power curve on mine so I could see where it has the best performance and possibly "working" my prop as well to possibly a 24p would help find that elusive sweet spot.

6. Member

Re: prop help please for 181 Champion (JP_96-181DCXE)

I bought a new 181 dc tournament series with a 150 efi in 1998. It came with a 24 pitch trophy(4 blade).I then put an 8 inch jack plate in the back . Man this boat would fly. 68-71 mph at 5900 rmp. I bought it from Nichols Marine in Norman Oklahoma. I asked Royce why the 4 blade and he said "that is what that boat wants it just runs better with the 4 blade" I owned that boat for 10 years and never once thought about changing the prop. So I know you are looking at a Fury but you might give that a shot. They are cheaper and really abundant you can pick up a used one for 250 - 300 bucks. If you read the merc website they are saying the fury is designed for 200 hp and up. I hope this helps.

7. Member

Re: prop help please for 181 Champion (cknails181)

do you have a jackplate on it? If you do, with a 23 tempest you should be running faster than 60. If your running 60 at 6,000 rpms with a 23 tempest you are slipping way too much, sounds like your motor is too high, get a propshaft to pad measurment, should be close to 3.5". Also, if you run light you should be able to turn a 24 tempest and that will get you another 1-2mph. Once you get it in the ballpark you'll be running 62-64 mph any day of the week I dont have much to say about the trophy (4 blade) but ive ran a couple and they have been at least 2-3 mph slower than my tempest props...
    2016 Phoenix 618 Mercury 175 ProXS

8. Member
    Bumping an old thread due to relevance... trying to select the right prop for my 2000 181SC with 2009 ETEC 150HO. Currently have a worked 25p croxton razor III turning 5400 rpm at 55mph with only me in it, half tank, empty well. Something is up. I was told a 23 fury would be good to try by an Evinrude tech, but wanted to see if any 181/150 owners have run this prop and what your results were. Hoping to hit mid 60s. Motor only has 200 hours and is currently in the shop getting serviced and to make sure everything is good before I go searching rabbit holes for propellers.

thanks
    Tucker

9. Pat Goff
    Sounds like you are running on five
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Sounds like you are running on five
    That crossed my mind, I will report back once the service center runs diagnostics on the engine. Would running on 5 cylinders inflate my slip %? Im around 20% currently. 5400 rpm (tach), 54.7mph (gps), 1.86 gear ratio, 25p prop

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewstn View Post
    Bumping an old thread due to relevance... trying to select the right prop for my 2000 181SC with 2009 ETEC 150HO. Currently have a worked 25p croxton razor III turning 5400 rpm at 55mph with only me in it, half tank, empty well. Something is up. I was told a 23 fury would be good to try by an Evinrude tech, but wanted to see if any 181/150 owners have run this prop and what your results were. Hoping to hit mid 60s. Motor only has 200 hours and is currently in the shop getting serviced and to make sure everything is good before I go searching rabbit holes for propellers.

thanks
    Tucker
    Got the motor back from 300 hr service, and they did water pump, plugs, fluids, filters, thermostats, and computer diagnostics. They said it is running perfectly on all 6 cylinders. I have run the boat since getting it back and am seeing no performance increase. I am thinking I need to try a 23 Tempest Plus to get RPMS up to 5800. Need to find one to test so I can buy with confidence.

12. Banned
    How long have you owned the boat? Any power poles, talons, ultrex on it?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    How long have you owned the boat? Any power poles, talons, ultrex on it?
    No power poles, bought it from my father in law a couple months ago. He had owned it and took extremely good care of it for the past 10-12 years, and he is the original owner of the motor. No power poles or talons, does have a minn kota maxxum TM on it. 2 grp 27 TM batteries and a grp 31 cranking/house battery, all AGM.

14. Pat Goff
    23 Tempest with hub kit is your ticket.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Has you prop ever been worked? It may be time for a tune up on it if it's never been touched.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Has you prop ever been worked? It may be time for a tune up on it if it's never been touched.
    Yes it has according to previous owner. Looks like it had some tip cup added. I am thinking a 25p prop is too much for a 150 though.

17. Banned
    So are these the same speeds that your FIL saw too?

You might go into the merc boards and read the stickies up top. Things that might need to be done if they have never been changed, fuel lines & such.

Are you going to sale the Croxton prop, might be interested if you do.

Edit: I forgot that it will have the wrong hub, unless it’s a flo-torque???

18. Member
    Yes these are the same speeds he has always seen. I am not sure on the hub, but if/when I get the Tempest Plus I will send you a PM about this prop. Thanks for the advice I will check into the Mercury threads.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewstn View Post
    Yes these are the same speeds he has always seen. I am not sure on the hub, but if/when I get the Tempest Plus I will send you a PM about this prop. Thanks for the advice I will check into the Mercury threads.

I forgot that you had an Erude, the Merc thing won’t help you, other than changing fuel lines.

20. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Listen to Pat (pmgoffjr) and take his advice. He knows our boats!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast