Angry Aluminum Trailer axle bent... repair info...help

Hey guys,

Need some info and advice. Last fall I fished a Lake in PA where they dropped the water level very low. The one concrete ramp I chose to launch my boat had a craze drop off. Basically
    the the trailer wheel and axle dropped off the end of the ramp, making it difficult to pull the trailer forward... So I basically had to hit the gas to force the wheel and axle up and over the end of the concrete boat ramp.... making the wheel and axle to slam hard...ended up blowing the tire, bending the rim and slightly bending the trailer axle back on the left side. I was able to change the tire and trailer the boat home.... But, now I have the right side tire slightly bent out from the bent axle. The Cox trailer tows my 17ft Alumacraft Maverick.

I know the bent axle is eventually going to cause the tire to wear or even worse... Any suggestions on where to purchase a new trailer axle? and Can I replace the axle with the boat still on the trailer? or do I need to remove the boat? Is it easy to replace an axle on a small aluminum trailer? Like a cox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is 2 photos of the boat and trailer. 1 photo before and one photo showing the damaged axle. Its basically hard to notice, but the left wheel in the photo sticks out farther
    to the left. As it is bent slightly out.

Look forward to getting some feedback. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member

USA

Put a magnet on the trailer to see if it is aluminum. It looks like a galvanized steel trailer to me. If it is an aluminum trailer, then I would think you would still put a steel axle on it. Call a trailer repair shop. Good Luck with your trailer.

3. Banned
    Even if the trailer is aluminum it has a steel axle.

4. Member
    Don't start this job without an impact wrench. Other than that, it's pretty easy, leave the boat on, put jack stands and the tires under the trailer for safety. Are you sure the axle didn't slide or shift on the spring? Looks like an inexpensive straight axle, 1500-2000 pound capacity.

5. Member
    Hey billnorman1... Thanks for the feedback... No, I thought the axle slide back on the spring, but its actually slightly bent back right below the spring, causing the tire to be cocked out. The tire already has wear on one side. Yeah it is a simple straight axle. Now I just have to find the right replacement. Thanks

6. Member
    I've recently ordered some trailer parts from these guys. Trailer Parts - Trailer Tires & Trailer Wheels at Wholesale Prices I've also used Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924. I haven't ordered from these guys, but they are in your neck of the woods. Trailer Parts SuperstoreŽ - Shopping Index Eastern Marine looked to have some pics of axels pretty close to yours.

First, I would swing it by a local shop that does axle work... they may be able to straighten it for you...

I just had this done to mine in October... (bent axle causing uneven tire wear) cost me less than $100

I'd get a quote first before you dump the money into a new axle... worth a shot
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

8. Banned
    I use ChampionTrailers.com for parts. New axles and the hardware to hang them with are cheap, and it just takes a few minutes to change them out with an impact wrench.

My utility trailer blew the bearings out while out "in the country." The people where it broke down had a compressor. Changing axles were no big deal, as the one I bought came with new hubs installed.

9. Member
    Thanks guys for your input!! Im going the route of replacing the axle... found a great deal from Eastern Marine Trailer parts superstore.

10. Member
    same thing happened to mine and I removed the tires and hubs, and straightened it out with a hydraulic press.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

11. Member
    I had similar situation on a ramp in Watts Barr. Didnt abuse it to the level the op did but I bent my Hitch ball some and cracked the weld on the spring hanger.