Trim gauge stuck in full up position!

I have a 97 nitro 180TF with a 97 merc XR6 150hp SN 0G423933

Can someone help me out here? My trim gauge is pegged in full up position and will not budge no matter what i do. Is this a gauge problem that will need replacing? This boat is real picky and I need a trim gauge! The thing will not plane off unless I have it trimmed down to a certain spot, and without the gauge it takes a few times to get it in right spot to plane the boat off. So should I just replace my gauge? TIA
    1996 Nitro 180TF with a Merc XR6 150hp. Lowrance electronics.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Disconnect the BROWN w/WHITE STRIPE wire from the back of the gauge. Turn the key "ON".

Does the gauge REMAIN PEGGED?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Disconnect the BROWN w/WHITE STRIPE wire from the back of the gauge. Turn the key "ON".

Does the gauge REMAIN PEGGED?
    Im out of town right now, I will check that when i get back to boat.

4. Member
    Ok I know this is way late, but due to some health issues I finally got to check the gauge. Don I did what you said, disconnected brown/white wire (only other were purple and the ground) I then turned the key to the on position and nothing happened. The gauge stayed pegged in the up position, and the motor was all way down. So does this mean I have a bad trim gauge?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very likely that the trim gauge has failed.

Just to be sure- this boat was NOT recently repowered, was it?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If you are talking about a new motor then no, it has the original motor that came with boat as for As i know, I bought it used, and the motor and boat are the same year so id say the original.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just to double check the instrument- jumper from the "S" terminal to the "G" (Black-Ground) terminal, and see if the instrument moves (to the DOWN position, for instance).

8. Member
    ok is that the terminal I took loose (brown/white wire)? And if it moves with jumper then what does that mean? Also does switch need to be on for this test? Thanks for all your help BTW!
    Last edited by bsud; 05-24-2015 at 04:31 PM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Switch must be ON.

You MAY (possibly) have ended up with the wrong-style trim sender (AND GAUGE) on your boat for some reason- this test (jumper) will help to determine which type gauge you have (as well as confirming the gauge is, or is not, functional).

10. Member
    Switch must be ON.

You MAY (possibly) have ended up with the wrong-style trim sender (AND GAUGE) on your boat for some reason- this test (jumper) will help to determine which type gauge you have (as well as confirming the gauge is, or is not, functional).

Ok I jumped the trim gauge and the needle went down, then it went back up when I disconnected the jumper.

11. Member
    Switch must be ON.

Ok actually nevermind now, Found out I had a ground problem back at the sending unit so gonna fix that and I should be good to go!

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was it the sending unit ground wire, OR IS THE CONTINUITY GROUND STRAP (at the lower engine mount bolt) broken?

13. Member
    Was it the sending unit ground wire, OR IS THE CONTINUITY GROUND STRAP (at the lower engine mount bolt) broken?
    not sure yet, haven't had time to fool with it anymore, just know its a ground problem.

14. Member
    It was the ground at either the sending unit, or the connection on the gauge itself. Not sure which end, but anyway it seems to be working fine now we have it all hooked back up.

15. Member
    I’m having the same issue when I jump the brown wire to the ground the needle jumps down. What would this indicate. A bad ground

16. Member

17. Member
    I had trouble with mine, the switch at the back had corroded. Bought a new one and less than 6 monhts later same thing. To be honest I don't need a trim gauge. I trim it to get the proper plane angle which depends more on how full is fuel tank, weight of passengers, are we salt or fresh etc. Your application may be more critical but for my boat I can live without it. Not worth fixing (again).

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBwd8506 View Post
    sure could
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................