Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

removing rod rack in port locker

Has anybody removed the tubes in the port locker in a ZX or FX model? How do they come out?

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

2. Member
    2 screws in the top above the tubes and it comes right out and then remove floor bracket

Thanks..........I was brainstorming the idea to fit more rods in the locker without having to mess with the tubes... but not sure if I want to actually take it out. Has anybody done this? If so do you prefer the locker with or without the rod tubes?

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

4. Member
    I prefer it without the tubes. I still use the rack on the port side. My boat is shorter but without the tubes I can easily fit 7'11" rods in there without stressing the rods.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

I take the tubes out and leave the handle rack in. I can fit 30 rods in there with rod socks. I've been using this setup for 4 years now and it works great.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Wow, I removed the tubes today... hard to believe 2 little screws hold that in place. I think I'm gonna like not having those tubes in there. Definitely makes it easier getting rods in and out. Noticed some of the Skeeter pros do the same thing.

8_137.jpg7_134.jpg

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

7. Member
    First thing I did when I got my new boat home was put the rods in the box, then take them back out and remove the tubes and rack I could tell they were going to drive me nuts!!
    2014 Skeeter ZX200 w/ 200 YamahaSHO

8. Member
    Left the tubes and took out the rack. I was able to put 5 rods, 5 rod and reel setups that slid under the tubes. I then was able to put the rest of the rods in using the tubes. 2 micro guide rods will fit in one tube. Going to try it for awhile.

I'm about to go remove my rods and take the tubes out now. Should have done it before I loaded it up with rods. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Curtis View Post
    I'm about to go remove my rods and take the tubes out now. Should have done it before I loaded it up with rods. Oh well...

You will be happy.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I take the tubes out and leave the handle rack in. I can fit 30 rods in there with rod socks. I've been using this setup for 4 years now and it works great.
    AGREED

12. Member
    I'm on my second ZX 190 and that's the first thing I did. I took out both parts.

13. Member
    I took the tubes out and left the rack. Will add some pictures later but it works great. I can get more rods in the compartment and easier to get out.
    Sean Fullerton

~~2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited~~
    Yamaha SHO 250
    Helix 12
    Mega 360
    MegaLive
    Raptors

https://www.youtube.com/ruggedoutdoors

I too left the handle rack and removed the tubes. SOOO much better.

15. Member
    I have the new '15 ZX225. I removed the tubes and the new ZX style rack. I replaced the new style rack with an old style rack. Perfect setup for me. I can get over 20 rods in there now. I keep all my rods in sleeves.

16. Member
    I have a 2018 FX20 and tried this. After removing the top two screws, even though it’s loose, I can’t seem to get it to fit under the top lip to slide back and out towards rod locker. Any advice?

17. Member
    I took the tubes out and left the rack but I went a step further. I cut all the tubes off and then cut a straight line across the tube holes with a jig saw, top and bottom, on the upper and lower set of tube holes. Screwed it back on, so now I have upper and lower level for rod tips, just like the rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Skeeter Man; 05-25-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added pic.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pescadr View Post
    I have a 2018 FX20 and tried this. After removing the top two screws, even though it’s loose, I can’t seem to get it to fit under the top lip to slide back and out towards rod locker. Any advice?
    Starboard side was a little harder for me also. I think it’s narrow than port side. Anyhow, it’ll come out. Tilt down a little and pull out.

19. Member
    After removing the tube holder, you might want to get some 3/8" ID poly tubing from one of the big box stores, then use a razor knife to slice it along the long axis and install it around the cutout edges for additional rod protection. If yours is anything like mine. it looks like a drunk used a jigsaw to cut out the opening (LOL)!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit53 View Post
    After removing the tube holder, you might want to get some 3/8" ID poly tubing from one of the big box stores, then use a razor knife to slice it along the long axis and install it around the cutout edges for additional rod protection. If yours is anything like mine. it looks like a drunk used a jigsaw to cut out the opening (LOL)!
    Naw, turned out smooth as silk. Appreciate the thought though. I put that blue painter tape on it before I cut and afterwards used a non aggressive curved file and dremel tool sander on it. Super smooth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast