Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Hey Don, I recently bought boat with a 200 Pro XS four stroke and haven't put an ounce of fuel in it yet.. Is it acceptable to run fuel stabilizer such as QuickStor or QuickCare during break in? I heard that you should wait until after break in for some reason...?
    2021 Ranger Aluminum VX1888DC
    2021 200 HP Mercury Pro XS Four Stroke
    Serial Number:

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldstream13 View Post
    Hey Don, I recently bought boat with a 200 Pro XS four stroke and haven't put an ounce of fuel in it yet.. Is it acceptable to run fuel stabilizer such as QuickStor or QuickCare during break in? I heard that you should wait until after break in for some reason...?
    Yes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Yes it is acceptable to run at first or yes you should wait until after break in?

I really would like to see the answer from Don Weed who is a certified Mercury mechanic, please.

I have the same issue, will be picking up a new boat on Tuesday with the 2021 115 ProXS and will be filling up for the first time.
    I have read and re-read Don Weed's posts many times, fantastic resource and I think answers are right there in his posts but do not want to make assumptions.

4. Member
    Run the additives beginning with the first tank of proper octane fuel.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by homebody View Post
    Yes it is acceptable to run at first or yes you should wait until after break in?

I really would like to see the answer from Don Weed who is a certified Mercury mechanic, please.

I have the same issue, will be picking up a new boat on Tuesday with the 2021 115 ProXS and will be filling up for the first time.
    I have read and re-read Don Weed's posts many times, fantastic resource and I think answers are right there in his posts but do not want to make assumptions.

My recommendations start with the very first tank of fuel placed in the boat, and run to the very last tank of fuel placed in the boat.

In other words- from the first day you own to the last day you own.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Don
    Thanks very much for your response. I like many people really appreciate you sharing your expertise and the amount of time you spend responding to our questions.
    it is much appreciated.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by homebody View Post
    Don
    Thanks very much for your response. I like many people really appreciate you sharing your expertise and the amount of time you spend responding to our questions.
    it is much appreciated.
    Thank you for the kind words. Nice to know someone reads them as they're written.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Don, if you were me, would you run 87 octane E10 or 90 octane ethanol free in a 175 ProXS?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Excerpt from Post# 1
    Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.
    So when you get to the busy-traffic Top-Tier, Name-Brand Station, pull the nozzle for 87 octane (with no more than 10% ethanol content).

10. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    So when you get to the busy-traffic Top-Tier, Name-Brand Station, pull the nozzle for 87 octane (with no more than 10% ethanol content).
    Thanks Don. In reading your post about ethanol free, I wasn’t sure how it would be defined for it to be not “substantially” higher octane

11. Member
    Good info.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post
    Thanks Don. In reading your post about ethanol free, I wasn’t sure how it would be defined for it to be not “substantially” higher octane
    He's defined "substantially higher" in the 2-stroke forum (identical fuel topic there) as being more than one grade, ergo, no higher than 89.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12