Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Can someone comment on sanding the hook out of a 2007 200 Champion- and comment on all around performance issues

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The hook was only in the earlier 07 200s and pretty much just shaved a couple mph off, if that. The boat is a great performer...all Champion! If you have further questions, etc, please post in a new thread. Questions tend to get lost when they are posted in a pinned thread.

3. Member
    OK, Thanks, I'll figure it out

4. Member
    Amazing post, thank you so much for the history lesson. I am currently on my fourth champ, it's a 2001 203 with a 2003 225 opti. and I am the original owner. I also owned a '88 super vee I think it was called with a 200 merc, that was my first boat and the best riding boat I have ever been in. Then i had a '95 202with a 200 mariner efi, and a '96 202 with same motor. I am currently looking at buying a basscat as my 203 is showing it's age. Lots of stress cracks due to Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie. After reading this I can tell you that if I had the facility and skills to do so, I would be doing a rehab job on the 203. I hope I don't regret selling it!!!! I miss the 202's they would eat up my 203 top end with 25 less hp! I have to add that they replaced the '95 with the '96 and the '96 with the 203 due to stress cracks in the hull. Ken Ellis was the rep for my area and went out of his way to keep me happy. So sad to see good companies go under and good products get absorbed by greedy corporate conglomerates!!! As much as I love champions, (that's all I've owned) I honestly can't see myself buying the stratos, I just hope I will be happy with my cat when I get it. I never get tired of taking people out and showing them how these boats can turn a 180, and stop the way they do. I remember being on a house boat trip on cumberland in the late 90's I took my 202 so we could ski, but I think I spent more time taking friends for rides and doing 180's than we did skiing!! One of my buddies had a ski nautique and said my champ turned better than his ski boat. I also remember a time on Lake St. Clair when a big wind came up and we were in canada 20 miles from the launch coming back right across the middle of the lake in honest 5 footers, I passed a 26' sea ray and when we got back the guy in the sea ray just couldn't believe what he had seen. He says to me, How's your back, how can you not be wet!!! I miss that '88, some punk kid rear ended me and launched it into the bed of my truck, nose of boat sticking through the back window. Insurance totalled it and let me keep it but the transom was cracked, wish I would of had it fixed and kept it. Guy I sold it to, fixed it and ran it for another 6 years.

5. Member
    castforcash, your story reminds me of the day a buddy and i were fishing for redfish in Calliou Lake down in coastal louisiana. the lake is wide open and only about 8' deep. when a squall hits it, the lake turns to some extremely nasty chops. the biggest I have ever seen. Shrimp boats have sunk in this lake due to the wind. well when it hit the fan were were about 4.5 miles from the safety of the camps on grand pass. we had no choice but to run as fast as we could that way due to the 3 water spouts coming from the opposite direction. we locked the lids, put on the life jackets, and ran for our life. my little 181 ate the lake up. we were passing 20' to 24' bay boats like they were stopped. their jaws dropped as we went buy. we were one of the furthest boats out and one of the last boats to head for safety, yet we were one of the first to make it into the pass. the looks on some of those guys faces as we passed them up was priceless.
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

6. Member
    Thanks Pat for a great history on the Champs and in bassboating in general. I really enjoyed reading it as it brought back some memories of the past. The first bass boat I ever owned was a 1972 Terry Bass 162 Pro. It was a tri-hull and served me well for several years. Have owned several Skeeters including the Starfire 175 and got my 1997 Champion 191 Elite in 2000. It has been without a doubt, the best boat I have ever owned. Fast, handles well, and just a great fishing platform. Been tempted to upgrade but can't seem to part with what I've got. Hense, my restoration project.
    Btw, did you ever know a Skeeter demo driver by the name of Roy Hill. Don't know what happened to him. He was with Skeeter for several years along with Alan Stinson. My sister in law worked for Skeeter in Kilgore for many years. The Skeeter plant was orginally located in Longview before moving into the old Levi building in Kilgore.
    Again thank for a great post.
    Doyce

7. Member
    Any info on a 206 Pat?
    Beau Kaiser
    2003 BCB Cougar/250 Merc XS

8. Member
    What is your take on a 2000 - 223. Is it the same as a 221 or are there differences. Looking to add on to my garage.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Cas...come back to regular forum. Stickies at top often do not get read

10. Member
    Wow what a thread ! I'm looking to buy an 89 184 SCR this week and bring it back to life this winter. I've owned Ranger's, Stratos and Pro craft's in the past, I've only fished out of a few champion boats in the past, always loved the ride and all around setup of a champion. Like in the stories, like many, I was suckered into the power of advertising and bought what I thought was the best. My last 2 boats were ranger then Stratos in that order, ranger was lost in a divorce and the Stratos was something quick to me back on the water. Prior to buying the Stratos was when I had my champion boat experiences and was really blown away! The Stratos is gone and I've been researching and looking for an late 80's early 90's 18'-19' champion to bring back to life. Hopefully the 89 184SCR checks out and I can join the champion family. I know this thread is old but very good info for someone looking to buy a champ,!

11. Member
    Great history story on the Champ. I bought and owned for 10 years an '90 176 with the XR-4. Loved the performance, used to 'slalom" up the pomme arm channel at truman lake. It did sit 'nose high" in the water tho, making TM control in the wind a chore.

12. Member
    Thanks that was a great read. I also had a few champs. Am glad to see Dave Schlieck is still around I use to see him quite often at mt. Home. I believe he always hung around a guy by the name of Mike Sanders and they was always pretty cool to talk with. I sure miss them days

13. Member
    I could read this guy's stuff all day long...wow

14. Member
    My Champ will be delivered next week. So awesome to read these stories.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAMP-FAN1 View Post
    I could read this guy's stuff all day long...wow

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Proverbs 3: 5&6

16. Member
    This was great! I’ve learned so much. I’ve inherited my 88 184 from my grandfather, who was a wonderful person and loved to fish his champion boat.

Learning what I can and trying to restore. Does anyone know the story behind Team Champion.
    59321A34-DCA8-4EBD-979E-63B844CEF423.jpeg

17. Member
    I've actually asked this question in another spot on this website, so after setting here and ready this whole thread, I must say I'm impressed with your Knowledge Pat. I'm currently thinking of purchasing a 97' Champion 202 Dual console . I'm 58 years old and have always loved the look of a Champion, so I'm about to make the decision and go for it. Now I'm in that category of falling for the Ranger boat scheme. " We still build them one at a time" and I agree with you that B.A.S.S. put Ranger on the Market. I've owned 5 of them now. So it's time I get that Champion I've always wanted. Now, the question is. Did Champion have a Transom failure problem? I heard a few rumors, So I'm thinking, you would definitely know the answer. I also won't lie, I'm hoping you will say No there wasn't a Transom failure . So I'm anxious to read your answer.

18. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Mark, just looked at Pat's profile and see he hasn't been active on this site since April 2022. He is pretty active on the Champion Boat Owners group on Facebook and has covered transom maintenance of the Mountain Home boats on multiple occasions. C&O Marine in White Bluff, TN was the #1 & 2 Champion dealer over the last several years Champion was in business and is who I would recommend to perform a pre-purchase inspection of the transom and the resto of the boat. Craig Odom has a great staff that still provides parts and service for Champions.

19. Member
    Ok Thanks Tx Champ. I'm actually located in Jeffersonville Indiana now, I just recently moved with my employer from East Tennessee, ( hated moving from East Tennessee, but I'm following the money) . And I'm definitely familiar with C&O. But that being said the boat I'm looking at is west of me about 9 hrs and is being sold from an individual person and not a marine dealer, so having a boat's Transom inspection performed before a purchase is probably out of the question. Now the reasons I was asking this question in the 1st place was I'd heard rumors that Champion had a problem/Defect in the design of it's Transoms, but I don't know if this is true or not, and I don't know what year this was either. And I don't know if it was when they left Mt Home and went to Murfreesboro Tn or not. I do understand all boats that are 20+ years old (especially boats from the 80's ,with wood) can have a Transom problem. But I'm just wanting to make sure this wasn't a Champion problem and or just a nasty rumor that someone started. So please if you have ever heard of this rumor, or if it isn't a rumor and in fact it's a true fact about the Transom, please inform me. Thanks.

20. Member
    Also wondering, when did Champion Leave Arkansas and go to Tennessee?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast