Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

60 Minutes Episode~Killing Cancer

Don't know how many of you watched the episode tonight, but it was fascinating to me. They are using the polio virus to inject cancer tumors and having some success. The first two patients, who had glioblastoma, were treated and are in full remission. I could ramble on endlessly about the episode, but it looks as though they may be on to something. For those of you who have had cancer take a loved one, such as I, you should watch/read this episode.

Polio to treat cancer? Scott Pelley reports on Duke clinical trial - CBS News
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

I watched and was amazed. The virus was not able to infect the rest of the tissue, it attached to the cancerous cells and made those cells visible to the immune system so the patients bodies could basically wipe out the cancer cells.
    Last edited by bhjr.; 03-29-2015 at 08:19 PM.

3. Member
    You guys should watch the episode by vice news. Didn't know 60 mins still existed

4. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    My older brother died from gleoblastoma in 3 months. It's a deadly cancer.
    Im glad the researcher has advanced a treatment. He's been working it for over 10 years.

5. Member
    My mother has multiple myeloma (currently in remission), which is a blood cancer that makes your bones brittle and ultimately can spread throughout your body. Don Baylor and Tom Brokaw also have it. Medical researchers are currently doing studies on super dosing the measles vaccine into people with MM and have found some success with it. It's crazy awesome what we are learning right now about battling cancer. My mother went thru a stem cell treatment about a year ago. That's another pretty wild treatment. And it's also what launched my mother into remission!

We need to make more strides/progress in breast cancer. I know too many women with this awful and often deadly disease.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

6. Member
    My daughter has had 3 brain tumors and been cancer free for 10 years.She is still listed as terminal because few have had 3 tumors and survived. If her tumor comes back there was no treatments for her because of past treatments.This is a break we have been waiting for, it gives patients new hope.

We are plugged in to Dr.Henry Friendman's clinic if her tumor ever comes back. Great news.

Yes I watched it my cousin died from that a few years ago. Looks like great hope. Amazing a old disease used to treat a deadly cancer.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    Don't know how many of you watched the episode tonight, but it was fascinating to me. They are using the polio virus to inject cancer tumors and having some success. The first two patients, who had glioblastoma, were treated and are in full remission. I could ramble on endlessly about the episode, but it looks as though they may be on to something. For those of you who have had cancer take a loved one, such as I, you should watch/read this episode.

Thank you for posting this, as I did miss the TV airing but just watched it from your link. Very interesting and encouraging news for this deadly disease.

Debra
    4 year Breast Cancer Survivor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Hengst View Post

Debra
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

10. Member
    Missed this tonight, thank you for posting. Cleveland Clinic for me tomorrow.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

I read the link you posted... good read, wished i watched it on the tube.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

12. Member
    Great news thanks for the post

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Hengst View Post
    Debra
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

great story and news, always hope
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

15. Member
    God bless those doctors and the children who have responded to the treatment. It's a little too soon after my treatment to watch it without getting emotional. I'm in remission now so I hope I never have to have this treatment but I was so saddened to see the patients around me who were not responding to treatment. Now I'll add these doctors and patients to my prayers too

16. Banned
    That technique is common in modified live vaccines. Use a virus that is neutered to carry another recombinant gene encoding an antigen used to start an immune reaction. With the modifications, the virus can't propagate and spread.

17. Member

My mother is on a clinical trial in phase 3... meaning there isnt a blind, just a control group and dosage groups. She was diagnosed with Stage IV Adenocarcinoma (Non small Cell lung cancer) three years ago. Never smoked, drank... no second hand, nothing. Didnt break the speed limit. I can go into detail on why they assume she got it but basically she had a one in a multi, multi-million chance of getting it (how she assume it happened) and it happened. With lung cancer people like to point to smokers... what I have learned in the last four years anyone can get it.

The clinical is very similar to the episode, but we are limited on what we can share - I'll keep it at that. Compared to what she went through with Chemo the first go-round (Alimtna, Avastin, Carboplatnin) this is a cake walk and the progress of her condition is beyond anything we ever expected. When she was diagnosed she was told to go home and get your affairs in order. She is essentially living a problem free life with cancer. Also, with lung cancer you can never be in remission...so its scan to scan (3 weeks between each)... until the next phase of the trial.

We do everything through the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota.

To add to what you said, they are also using HIV to treat cancer now.

18. Banned
    Ryan: Sorry to hear what your mother's had to go through with lung cancer. When it comes to cancer, all we see is all the pink ribbons with the huge amount of money raised by the Susan Kommen Foundation going into breast cancer research.

We don't hear anything about the research on lung cancer which has now erased breast cancer as the biggest killer of women. Lung cancer doesn't even have a color.

And we need to pray for researchers in hospitals like Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic that they learn how to eradicate these terrible illnesses.

19. Banned
    It was very interesting to see!
    Last edited by BPenrod; 03-30-2015 at 08:59 AM.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar

My kids have both been involved in some pretty amazing cancer research. There are some amazing success stories. Downside is there are so many different types of cancer, and many of the treatments are ultra specific. They struggle to find patients for trials because some cancers are so deadly and rare. We need laws allowing people to try this stuff if they want to.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast