ProCraft 185pro setup w/XR6

Hey guys, I own a 2000 Procraft Pro 185 DC. It's got a 2001 Merc XR6 pushing it. Motor is bolted to transom/ no jack plate. I've only had it for about 3 weeks and am curious about setup. From reading on this board a little bit, my rpm's and speed are off from what others are getting. Motor has a 24p Trophy Plus. Right now, the fastest I have had her is 58 mph(GPS) at 5000 rpm. The sweet spot for this motor is 55-5600 rpm from my research. I'm thinking the motor is too far down in the water and I know a jack plate would help this. Is there anything else I can do setup wise to get to full rpm and pick up speed? I thought about switching to a 23p prop to help gain some rpm. Will this add speed because I'm turning more rpm, or slow me down due to the decrease in pitch? I'm a relatively new bass boat owner and know next to nothing about setting it up to get the performance its capable of. Any help is appreciated.

2. Member
    No expert here but that 24P seems a little tall for a 150. The Procraft are pretty healthy hulls and like lift, I know mine does. I figure a 23P Tempest would be money on your rig. That should get your engine better into its power band and lift the hull nicely. A plate would also be a nice addition.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

3. Member
    Switching to a 23" 3 blade will help and a 6" jack plate would help a little more but don't expect a lot thats a pretty heavy boat.

4. Member
    I plan on adding a jack plate here pretty soon. Thanks for the input. I'll start looking for a 23 tempest. That's what I was leaning toward but wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks.

5. Member
    I have the same boat and motor...23p tempest plus, 3 1/2" below the pad on a 6" jackplate. With a light load I can always hit 60 and on good days I've hit 62

6. Member
    I don't have a jack plate but I just measured. Prop shaft is 5" below pad on mine. I have room to move it up 2 more holes on the motor mount. Would it be worth moving it up? And centralmassfish do you get water over the back? I have to finesse mine when I slow down to keep from getting swamped. I thought a jack plate may help that too.

7. Member
    You might be able to raise it one hole but you can't raise it too much without a plate because it will blow out on take off or porpoise while running.

8. Member
    I appreciate the help. Does it hurt anything running it at 5000 rpm at WOT? Will that save me fuel or is it harder on the engine? If it doesn't hurt anything I believe I'll just wait to make any changes til I can slap a jack plate on it.

9. Member
    5000 rpms is in the range where it should be. It helps to get the rpms up but for now I wouldn't change it until I get the plate.

10. Member
    Yes I always get water over the back if I dont slowly back it off plane. One of the few complaints for the boat though.