Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 361V View Post
    Mineral spirits and Scotch Brite.
    I got this from a guy who re-carpets boats.
    Mineral spirits won't evaporate as fast as more volatile (and flammable) solvents and it won't damage the finish under your carpet. The slow evaporation rate gives it time to soak in and soften the glue and allows you time to scrape or scour the glue completely off. Buy a small can and try it.
    I can't believe some of the dangerous and useless (Goo Gone) recommendations on here.

2. Banned
    I just removed all my carpet and glue. Was a pia. I used a product called adhesive remover. Just brush it on and cover with plastic for 10 minutes comes off like a hot knife through cold butter. But it's messy. I then cleaned it with mineral spirits. Left a little residue. So I then used windex. But if I have acetone that's what I would've used. I re glued carpet with gel contact cement. Not one bubble any where. It's a lot of work to do right. I can see paying 1200 for it problem is most of the carpet guys won't remove the old glue and new wouldn't stick to mine so I removed all the old. I'm actually thinkng of using Bedliner on the floor of the boat. Will never have a problem the. Plus easy as heck to clean. But left the deck carpet sense I fish there

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 361V View Post
    I got this from a guy who re-carpets boats.
    Mineral spirits won't evaporate as fast as more volatile (and flammable) solvents and it won't damage the finish under your carpet. The slow evaporation rate gives it time to soak in and soften the glue and allows you time to scrape or scour the glue completely off. Buy a small can and try it.
    I can't believe some of the dangerous and useless (Goo Gone) recommendations on here.
    Mineral spirits will cut some glues but not most MEK or Acetone will cut more than any one other thing. Mineral spirits will still need to be cleaned off with acetone before reglueing anyway as it leaves an oily residue. But hey we just do 30 of them a year.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUGMCGEEFTD View Post
    Mineral spirits will cut some glues but not most MEK or Acetone will cut more than any one other thing. Mineral spirits will still need to be cleaned off with acetone before reglueing anyway as it leaves an oily residue. But hey we just do 30 of them a year.
    Completely correct about the oil residue.

5. Member
    thanks for tip on MEK WORK GREAT should still wipe down acetone
    SKEETER 200ZXDC 1995 WITH 200HP Mercury

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bass View Post
    thanks for tip on MEK WORK GREAT should still wipe down acetone

good deal. there are 10-12 different glues used each one will come off better with different chemicals. Some mineral spirits works better than mek and vice versa. same with acetone and laquer thinner just have to try spot and see. we had one come in nothing would cut it. ended up grinding it all off freakin mess

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn2deep View Post
    Vibrating multi tool with scraper blade. Gets it clean enough, use goof off in tight spots.
    This is what I used to get it off of my boat. The blade will dull after a while. Tried using a file to sharpen it up, but a new blade make quick work of it.
    okay, okay... last cast, after this one.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro Angler View Post
    This is what I used to get it off of my boat. The blade will dull after a while. Tried using a file to sharpen it up, but a new blade make quick work of it.
    either of my helpers can pull lids , strip them and have all glue removed from hull in 5 hours with the mek and acetone and a 4" razor scraper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12