Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I have my Xi5 mounted on the MKA-47, Im wondering if others that have installed this way have any type of vibrating in the trolling motor...Mine gets a decent vibration when going above 4. Even with the set bolt installed the TM simply isnt installed as sturdy as it would be if bolted directly to the boat. Is the vibration just a part of the territory with the MKA-47? I have switched from a 2 blade to a 3 blade thinking it might be an out of round prop but that has not helped...

2. Member
    JK - I am also using an MKA-47 - and have pretty much zero vibration - I am still using the stock 2 blade which does have a few chunks knocked out of it - but nothing that I don't occasionally fix with a file. Does your MKA top plate - slide around much in the slot? My MKA is pretty tight and mounted very solid - I am pretty sure I could use it with out the locking bolt. Do you have anything else mounted on the TM? HDI or other external transducer - coiled cable setup?

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

3. Member
    LK, nothing else is on the trolling motor at this time. When I get out on the water I have bump the sliding plate pretty good to get it to move into place, its certainly not loose by any means. I have taken the prop off and done the marker test to make sure the shaft is straight and it is...I suppose I will have to take it in for someone to look at. I dont use the higher speeds often but it sucks when I do need to travel a distance and dont want to kick the outboard on.

4. Member
    JK - I was on the water yesterday - and made a point to pay attention/look for any vibration when running Heading Lock at 100% - and didn't have any issues. I did NOT try it at all TM lengths - ie: I was running the height/locking collar about 1/3 of way down - not sure it that would make a difference or not - I know it probably shouldn't though.

Like you when moving from spot to spot within a bay or on a ledge - the Heading lock feature is something I use a lot - and mostly at 75-100% - so getting vibration then would be a huge downside for sure.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

5. BBC SPONSOR
    It's not the mount unless its very loose. Mine is tight almost to a fault. I have vibration in mine but its due to the prop. Take the prop off next time out and run it. This will eliminate that from the equation to see if it is the motor. My guess is that its the prop.

Just like a tire out of balance, at certain speeds it will harmonic more than others. The fiberglass shaft can make this worse.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbird View Post
    It's not the mount unless its very loose. Mine is tight almost to a fault. I have vibration in mine but its due to the prop. Take the prop off next time out and run it. This will eliminate that from the equation to see if it is the motor. My guess is that its the prop.

Just like a tire out of balance, at certain speeds it will harmonic more than others. The fiberglass shaft can make this worse.
    While I dont argue that it could be the prop is this just a game of buying props until I find one they made properly. I still have the stock 2 blade and the 3 blade Im using now. If it is the prop it just seems like they could do a better job of making these things properly.

7. Member
    Do you guys slide the bracket back every time you move to a different spot ?

8. Member
    FYI you can get that cannondale lefty handle on ebay for $4.99 - search ebay for ' Cannondale Lefty XC3 SI MTB Stem 120mm -5D x 31.8mm ' or find the Bikewagon store

"Do you guys slide the bracket back every time you move to a different spot ?"

No, the only time I move the bracket is before loading and after unloading from the trailer.
    2019 nitro z19 with mercury 4 stroke 200hp.

10. Member
    Bump... good information

11. Member
    With a couple years under your belt with this solution for the external transducer how do you like it? I need to figure a way to do it now. I have a 60 inch shaft and I tried to put 5 coils in there to allow for it to be long enough and it is really tough to get it stowed. Was hoping someone came up with another solution somewhere.

Thanks

12. Member
    I had the same problem because of the 60" shaft so although I use the coils.... keep it to the side and attach it on the rail of the boat instead of wrapping it around the shaft. Works great.

did a search and come up with this...just bought a xi5 and this sure was a home run in helping mount the trolling motor. Just wondering if someone has come up with any other ideas (bicycle) to use for deployment of the trolling motor)?

Any and all advice with this trolling motor would be appreciated...
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12