is there any way a cleaned and flowed injector could be bad

Just rebuilt my motor 96 efi 200 mariner magnum serial no. og350412. Bored motor 15 over new brgs gaskts pistons rings tdr reeds stats poppet valve all new hoses and power packs. Sent injectors off cleaned and flowed. also rebuilt pulse pump. After much headache finally got motor to run with someone else complete injector system on my motor. That is everything from reed plate out except ecu with mine on it it would crank on muffs and tack up but in lake not get up on top water. It would crank and run on muffs like nothing wrong. . Pulled mine apart today injector pairs all ohm 1.3 so making contact all sensors working except have not tested tps. Dont see how any of that can go bad sitting on table in shop Motor was running good prior to leaning out no. 6. What else to check in that system i would assume injectors should be fine was wondering if there any way something can stick in those things.
    Last edited by swampratwt; 03-19-2015 at 04:52 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the injectors had been exposed to FUEL, and had been left sitting, congealed fuel in the injector can cause it to "stick" closed (or not function properly).

When were the injectors "cleaned"?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the injectors had been exposed to FUEL, and had been left sitting, congealed fuel in the injector can cause it to "stick" closed (or not function properly).

When were the injectors "cleaned"- and where were they done?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I've said it once I'll say it again. Check the grey retaining but and related connection at the ECM harness plug in. Those things suck ass for good connections

5. Member
    Injectors cleaned 2 weeks ago

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swampratwt View Post
    Injectors cleaned 2 weeks ago
    Should not be "stuck" under those circumstances (most knowledgeable injector service centers lubricate the injectors to help prevent sticking, anyway).

Have you tested the TPS and the IAT? Inspected the injector HARNESS for worn or bare spots (especially the pair going to #6... which may NOT show up in a resistance test when the engine is stationary)?

Cannon plug and ECU Connector properly connected, clean connections, and clamped in place (as designed)?

7. Member
    Tested IAT but not tps just cant figure how was working b4 took off and now not while just sitting on shop table. Ecu plug works with other airbox that it will run with. Going to make some wires to test tps tomorrow.

8. Owner JSRE Racing
    Brookeland, Texas 75931 (15 miles N. Jasper )
    As ALL said check your injector wiring .. How do you know its an injector issue? Is that bore dry , or have you tried spraying the suspect injector with a 9 volt battery to check function .. Don't think an outboard won't crap out sitting on a bench. I am an X multi time World and High points champion in outboard drag racing and have seen MY parts fail between 12 second passes with NO explanation , rhyme or reason......

Jay

9. Banned
    Wesley, sorry to hear you having trouble. The original #6 lean injector was replaced and now you have one of the best sets of keihins I've tested in quite a while. Swap em to that other airbox.
    Rich

10. Member
    Update found bad TPS sensor appreciate all help especially Rich Z at brucatos.

11. Banned