Center Seat or Not

I have the center seat for my 2005 198 but I've never installed it since I mostly fish with two people or by myself. I felt it would be easier to move around without it installed but wondered if that is a misconception - should I put it in for those times when I have 3 of us on the boat ?
    Leonard W. Little
    Grand Junction, CO

2005 Champion 198

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Center Seat or Not (lwlittle)

I like mine....Lots of back support for the third person. Was a passenger in another brand with no back support....Not good..

3. Kansas Bass Club Moderator

I wouldn't install it if you only fish with a max of 2 aboard. Absolutely drives me nuts when people step on it to get to the back deck. Even though folded down it has the rubber step but the seat back is only held on by 6 little screws and I am constantly tightening them up.

4. Member

'06 198, I removed mine for the same reason as champer196.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Re: Center Seat or Not (Ed R)

i have already had toreplace my seats due to the screws coming out...i finally took mine out and leave it out unless i plan on having 3 or more people in the boat...which isnt very often...i actually like it much better without it

6. Banned

Re: Center Seat or Not (Luke)

I'm leaning towards taking mine out, and making/buying a storage compartment/cup holder for that area. Kinda like the one Basscat has available. I rarely fish 3 people (around 1-2 times a year) and don't really need a center seat.

Here's a picture of the Basscat one. I can make this, as good, for probably under $40.00. Did this in my other bassboat I have and it looks great, but it's a 17 ft aluminum bassboat, and doesn't have to look as pretty as my Champ!

7. Member

Re: Center Seat or Not (OhioChamp183)

Good points - I think I'llleave it out. You can actually use it without fastening it in when you need to as long as no one steps on it.
    Leonard W. Little
    Grand Junction, CO

2005 Champion 198

8. Moderator

Re: Center Seat or Not (Champer196)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Champer196 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't install it if you only fish with a max of 2 aboard. Absolutely drives me nuts when people step on it to get to the back deck. Even though folded down it has the rubber step but the seat back is only held on by 6 little screws and I am constantly tightening them up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

9. BBC SPONSOR

Re: Center Seat or Not (dukhntr)

You can look on our web site at the step up coolers that go between the seats to see if one would fit in your boat. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to install the back cushion and then apply heavy duty velcro to the seat cushion. Then just stick it in place when you have a 3rd psngr. and store it otherwise.