Clear coat vs Gel Coat... Not sure I get the difference

I picked up my boat yesterday from having the engine winterized, and I got to talking with the detailer. He told me their cost to detail the boat inside and out, and also included info. on their wetsanding service as well (this was while waiting for my boat to be pulled to the front of the lot). When my boat arrived, he said mine was not a gel coat boat, but rather a clear coat boat and that it could only be buffed not wetsanded. While it still looks really good, I was planning sometime down the road to have it completely re-done in terms of the exterior (wetsanded, etc.). Is this not possible?

Derwood
    1998 ChampioN Fishunter 190
    200 hp Mariner
    8 hp Tohatsu

GO BADGERS !!

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Clear coat vs Gel Coat... Not sure I get the difference (Derwood)

The way I understand it is that clearcoat is the finish on top of the gelcoat...The gel is the color. Clearcoat, in several layers, protects the gel...

The guys in the Restoration Forum will have better info for you....

3. Member

He made it sound like it was the clearcoat that made it impossible to wetsand my boat, as well as the fleck in the hull of the boat. But I think I've seen several wetsanded boats on this site that had all different kinds of sparkly fleck combinations. I must have misunderstood him. Bottom line: Is there any reason why my '98 fishunter cannot be wetsanded and buffed out to look like new?

Derwood
    1998 ChampioN Fishunter 190
    200 hp Mariner
    8 hp Tohatsu

GO BADGERS !!

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

I don't have a clue....the guys in the Restoration Forum will know....

Re: Clear coat vs Gel Coat... Not sure I get the difference (Lea)

The difference between the tho is: gel coat is the color that you are seeing for example the white on the bottom. clear coat is basically the finish that goes over the gel coat. you can have your boat wet sanded, just have to be careful how deep you go. if you go too deep it will go into the gel coat and will cause the final product to look funny. any more questions, just call us at 615-797-4760
    thanks
    sammy @ c&o marine
    Sammy Jo
    Store Manager
    C&O Marine
    615-797-4760
    sammyjo21@ymail.com
    www.teamcandomarine.com

Re: Clear coat vs Gel Coat... ... (sammyjo21@ymail.com)

Gelcoat and clear are the same material, Polyester or Vinylester resin.

Colored gelcoat has pigment added to get the color.
    Both have microscopic pores that over time, if the gel was not kept sealed or waxed often will fill with oxidation , which is basically " fiberglass rust ."

3 things are needed for Oxidation; Oxygen, Heat and UV radiation.
    Eliminate one of the three and you will slow down the process.

Exposure to ozone, UV light ( Sun heat ) and O2 causes the polymers on the surface to heat up and gradually breakdown. As the surface oxidizes, pores open in the gel coat containing oxidized resin molecules called "chalk". This chalk eventually turns the entire outer surface a dull, opaque color.

Gel coat oxidation can be greatly reduced by keeping the surface sealed and protected using either a synthetic polymer wax or a gel coat/Fiberglass sealant. ( Pro - Tec )
    This wax layer diffuses (refracts) both UV and infrared radiation from the sun. Without the wax/sealant coating, the radiation is absorbed by the pigment in the gel coat causing it to over heat, and trigger the chemical reaction that will dry out, dull and oxidize the surface.
    As Sam from C & O said, you can wetsand your boat IF it is oxidized bad enough.

Buffing with a high speed buffer and Finness it rubbing compound is also used if it is only mildly oxidized.
    Read the first post on the Restoration forum for more info on how and what to use.

7. Member

Re: Clear coat vs Gel Coat... ... (BASSCAT7)

I manage an automotive collision shop and we wet-sand clearcoat on a daily basis. 1500-2000 grit should get the job done unless it's really bad. Then a buffer as mentioned with compound and a finesse foam pad with polish finishes the job. Don't forget the final step a quality wax.
    THERES ONE,
    Sterling Killion
    01'Ranger 520 DVX 225 Merc Optimax
    hcbass.com

8. Banned

Re: Clear coat vs Gel Coat... ... (sker13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sker13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I manage an automotive collision shop and we wet-sand clearcoat on a daily basis. 1500-2000 grit should get the job done unless it's really bad. Then a buffer as mentioned with compound and a finesse foam pad with polish finishes the job. Don't forget the final step a quality wax. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Like above post says, unless it's already bad enough to the point where if ya run your hand across the boat, you can "feel" the flakes in the fiberglass, which would mean there's not enough coating above the color/flake section to buff.
    I'd 2000 grit wet sand, lightly, and buff with a finesse compound. Then apply a good wax. I would recommend Mequires Flagship wax. GREAT stuff!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Derwood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He made it sound like it was the clearcoat that made it impossible to wetsand my boat, as well as the fleck in the hull of the boat. But I think I've seen several wetsanded boats on this site that had all different kinds of sparkly fleck combinations. I must have misunderstood him. Bottom line: Is there any reason why my '98 fishunter cannot be wetsanded and buffed out to look like new?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is the post with instructions for wetsanding/compounding/glazing gelcoat to remove oxidation and restore the gloss to it.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread/311487

10. Member
    I wanted ask what you can use when the surface is "to the point where if ya run your hand across the boat, you can "feel" the flakes in the fiberglass, which would mean there's not enough coating above the color/flake section to buff." as mentioned above by Polarcraft195. Is clear coat available in spray cans? and is it the same as Rustoleum's "Clear Enamel"?? ( somehow I doubt it). There's one area on each side of my Stratos 201 Pro where the silver metal flake is coarse to the touich, it gets the most direct sunlight as it's an almost horizontal part of the hull. Much appreciate any tips.

11. Member
    First off, find a real detailer that knows what he is talking about has had base experience in body shops because that one has none .

Automotive clear coat is not gel coat. There are 5 to 7 mills of tinted gelcoat with or without poly flake in it. Then 3 to 5 mills of clear, untinted gel is sprayed on top of the polyflake tinted gel. If there is water based enamel clear coat on top of gel, Someone first screwed up as they WILL NOT bond properly and IT WILL flake off as the gel coat expands and contracts with heat. Water based enamel clear coats DO NOT flex . Hence why you see boats with "clear coat" flaking off it.

As for not being able to wetsand your top coat of clear gel. He is dead wrong. Period. Your boat can be wetsanded at any time. The issue you might have is what has happend to my 34 year old champ. After years of UV rays, sand, and general contact , the top 3 mills of gelcoat have literally wore off and it is down to the mill layers of gel with polyflake .

Like I said, Fine a different detailer with actual body shop and or boat building knowledge.

12. Pat Goff
    You're talking to a clueless twit.
    Understand your boat was built in a mold, from the outside in.
    The first stage is gel coat, you have clear gel or you have colored gel, but they are both gelcoat. If it's clear, the flake is shot behind it which gives it the colors you see, if it's not flake, the boat gets constructed and laid up behind the gel.
    Gel, then laminates, then structure/stringers then the deck supports, then the cap is joined to the hull and you have a boat.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    You're talking to a clueless twit.
    Understand your boat was built in a mold, from the outside in.
    The first stage is gel coat, you have clear gel or you have colored gel, but they are both gelcoat. If it's clear, the flake is shot behind it which gives it the colors you see, if it's not flake, the boat gets constructed and laid up behind the gel.
    Gel, then laminates, then structure/stringers then the deck supports, then the cap is joined to the hull and you have a boat.

Knowledge is power and if you don't listen to Pat you don't understand how a boat is built.

14. Member
    Pat is correct as others, unless someone sprayed a urethan (normally automotive) clear over your polyresin and I've seen it happen you can on most boats color and sand until you cry... If it's a polyresin the start looking the .net I just did mine starting at 400 grit and ran it up to 1500 grit and then 4 stages of compound and 2 polish then 2 polysealer. I'm not a boat guy but have done a ton of auto paint including glass work. Boats are much more forgiving as they have nearly 40 times more thickness in the 'finish' that a traditional auto paint job.

15. Member
    I will agree with ChampioNman & put my money with Pat! He's the shit everyone wants to be, period!