Banned

How to find your serial number on your Mercury outboard

Seems to be asked quite a bit so I thought I'd help a little in this regard. Don or Sherm might jump in on this but pictures speak a thousand words they say. Most know the most logical place is a plate on the motor

First one is more of a distance shot to give you an idea - most I know are on the starboard side of the motor

and a close up view of what that tag could look like (info on tag may vary)

and then if you can't find that - look for the welsh plug as it'll be stamped on it

Remember its Digit, Letter, 6 more Digits (except older motors) and rebuilt motor may not have the serial number.

Remember - Mercury DOES NOT go by year but by serial number when it comes to ordering parts etc.
    Last edited by Wildcat Dude; 03-31-2015 at 03:29 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pinning to the "Commonly Asked" sticky on the 3L Forum. Thanks, Charles!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Thank you sir.

Where on the engine is the welsh plug located?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing fanatic View Post
    Where on the engine is the welsh plug located?
    SOMEWHERE on the powerhead (location varies). If you need further assistance locating your serial number, I would suggest opening a separate topic for your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Since the original pictures have, for the most part, disappeared, I took pictures of my engines yesterday.

Both my engines have a serial number label on the starboard side of the swivel bracket.

My 8hp...

My 150...

8hp welch plug with stamped serial number...

150hp label on starboard head...

I looked for a serial number stamped welch plug on my Optimax but could not find one. Some engines may, or may not, have them.

Hope this helps those searching for serial numbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Thought I'd add a close up of a label for clarity. Note the max recommended RPM is also on the label as well as date of manufacture. Shows why the pros constantly remind us Mercury doesn't use "years", my engine was manufactured Oct 2008 but is a 2009 "model year" engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    can anyone identify what year 150 blackmax I have the only serial number listed is 6465047.
    thanks

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhorton51 View Post
    can anyone identify what year 150 blackmax I have the only serial number listed is 6465047.
    thanks
    Mercury doesn't use "years" anymore, but that engine was built 11/03/1983 (during the 1984 production run).

10. Member
    I CAN ONLY FIND THE WELCH PLUG NUMBERS ON THIS MOTOR. I WAS TOLD IT WAS A 200 BLACK MAX. BUT YEAR AND ANYTHING ELSE I CANT FIND. IF ANYONE COULD PLEASE HELP.20240221_150842.jpg

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    0B333103
    Model# 1200422BD
    2.4L 200hp XL (25" Shaft)
    Date of "Birth": 2/26/1988