Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Triton's future?

While at wk yesterday i was talking to an owner of a mom/pop boat repair shop. He was saying that he thinks Triton's future is nearing an end. He said he is a triton owner it it sucks. What do yall think. I dont see Triton slowing down anytime soon. It appears they are still going strong. What do yall think?

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

2. Member
    I think Triton is one of the stronger brands in todays boat market. They are selling lots of trx models and aluminum models. If a model is cut I would think it would be Stratos.

Thats what i was thinking too. He seemed to be confident in what he was saying.l who knows.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Canman_83 View Post
    I think Triton is one of the stronger brands in todays boat market. They are selling lots of trx models and aluminum models. If a model is cut I would think it would be Stratos.
    +1

5. Member
    I think there are other brands that would go under before Triton, but you never know, who would have thought Champion would go out.

Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I think there are other brands that would go under before Triton, but you never know, who would have thought Champion would go out.
    Right. Several years ago i would have never thought champion would be gone.

7. Member
    I can see them keeping triton around but doing away stratos. But then again since bps owns all of it now they might eventually get rid of triton but not any time soon.

8. Member
    Getting rid of Triton would be stupid, maybe Stratus.

9. Member
    This is in the hands of Bass Pro Shops marketing people and who knows what they are thinking. The public surely won't know until just before the foot drops. It just doesn't make economic sense to maintain all of the brands BPS recently acquired through the purchase from Platinum Equity (or whatever the name of that group was). Just look at what happened with Procraft, etc. I suspect Ranger and Nitro will be the lone survivors after a few years. Ranger for the high rollers, Nitro for the rest. Same with the aluminums, Ranger and Tracker. Cabela's had better be getting friendly with Skeeter, Basscat, or someone other than Ranger.

10. Member
    Sure wish Mr. Bentz would make a deal with BPS to buy the Triton brand back.

From what iv heard bentz is still very much involved with Triton boats. To me doing away with triton would be like doing away with ford in the ford and chevy battle. Triton has loyal followers just like ranger does. Then again so did Champion. As previously stated we will not know until it happens.

Champion didn't have the volume of sales Triton does though. Triton has a relatively large dealer network and is a higher volume than Champion or Stratos. I would think Triton will stay, Ranger will stay and Stratos will stay, but the 175xt style boats will be the rule for Stratos for those that don't want aluminum. All the other aluminums are probably gone but Tracker...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

Thats true about the volume of sales. When i was fishin a tournament on lake conroe every other boat was a bass cat or a triton. I did not know there where that many cats out there. I never see them on the water.

14. Member
    i cant believe anybody would say they didnt see champion going out , which time when they went under did you miss? champion had a big following of fans that never bought a boat.

all they talked about was how well they rode. but they always bought used boats and there was no need to build and sell new ones.

i think the ranger /triton brands will be run as a seperate company from the bps /tracker brands. they have the whole market covered and have most of the nations dealer network tied up.

i dont think stratos will last much longer and will be absorbed into the nitro line .

15. Member
    Really doesn't matter what name is put on the boats; they are all made in the same place. Dealer networks are already there and mainly deal with motor issues.

Quote Originally Posted by auam72 View Post
    This is in the hands of Bass Pro Shops marketing people and who knows what they are thinking. The public surely won't know until just before the foot drops. It just doesn't make economic sense to maintain all of the brands BPS recently acquired through the purchase from Platinum Equity (or whatever the name of that group was). Just look at what happened with Procraft, etc. I suspect Ranger and Nitro will be the lone survivors after a few years. Ranger for the high rollers, Nitro for the rest. Same with the aluminums, Ranger and Tracker. Cabela's had better be getting friendly with Skeeter, Basscat, or someone other than Ranger.

Check back on this in 2 years. I bet you are 100% correct.

17. Member
    I was a Procraft owner and before I purchased my boat I did some research and at the time they were a strong player in the bass boat market with a good history. Tracker bought them and a couple years later they were gone! Gambler4 is right Champion had a lot of fans but not a lot of sales. Stratos has a unique look and hull as does Triton and both have a good buyer base so I think they'll stick around. I hope so anyway. I think more brands are better for the industry.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jericbarg View Post
    Check back on this in 2 years. I bet you are 100% correct.
    I guess we will see, but I do not think any of the boat lines will go away . They are already in the same plant, Not a big deal to keep the other lines producing. Triton has had the last 2 classic winners which has helped them stay mainstream. It will all come down to profitability and market share, and I just do not see how eliminating Triton would make fiscal sense.

My 2 cents

19. Bassturbatin'
    from what I heard, a conglomerate of some sort was going to buy all of the brands and reduce quality to try to sell more units, so Forrest Wood and Earl Bentz persuaded Johnny Morris to buy them instead. Apparently, all of the companies are being run the same but with different ownership. Johnny Morris may have his hand in some subpar products, but the man clearly knows how to make money, and being the consumers, we are who dictates that. If the quality goes down, we won't buy the boats, and Mr. Morris knows that. I believe everything will be fine.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OleMissTriton View Post
    from what I heard, a conglomerate of some sort was going to buy all of the brands and reduce quality to try to sell more units, so Forrest Wood and Earl Bentz persuaded Johnny Morris to buy them instead. Apparently, all of the companies are being run the same but with different ownership. Johnny Morris may have his hand in some subpar products, but the man clearly knows how to make money, and being the consumers, we are who dictates that. If the quality goes down, we won't buy the boats, and Mr. Morris knows that. I believe everything will be fine.
    BPS bought the Ranger nameplate, pure and simple. Being the business man he is, Morris took advantage of an opportunity to obtain the premier (read that most expensive) brand in the business. He could care less about Triton and Stratos. He probably already sells more Nitros than both of those combined. He wanted the profit margin from a Ranger and mass market of the Nitro and now he's got it. Bass fisherman will always buy new boats (maybe more some years than others) and this just gives BPS the brand appeal of the perceived "best" and the best selling. I have little faith in BPS wanting to maintain a lot of brands that compete with each other. Just look at what happened to GM (Olds, Pontiac brands) and Ford (Mercury). I own a Triton and I'm pessimistic about the brand's future short of an intervention by some interested party.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast