Seriously considering manual shallow water anchors through the deck

I have had my bass buggy for about a year now. Really missed the bass spawn last year and didn't get much chance to fish until now. Out on the lake yesterday there was a breeze and I was having a lot of trouble keeping the boat where I wanted it with the trolling motor.

I have had this idea for shallow water anchors by drilling a hole in the deck and attaching a seat anchor like this one to the bottom of the deck:
    seatbase.jpg

The hole is 3/4". I could use a 3/4" fiberglass tree stake and a spike end like the ones from MAX-GAIN SYSTEMS, INC. : Shallow Water Anchors - Fiberglass rods to MAKE YOUR OWN!.

I know I would need to put the anchor where the pontoon won't interfere with it.

Any comments on this plan? Will the deck be strong enough to support the forces on the pole from the wind?

Has anyone else tried this?

2. Member
    have never tried it but i don't see why it wouldn't work. if you feel the need to just put extra support just to be safe.

3. Member
    Great idea! Depends on your layout but I would mount it toward the back of the boat close to the metal supports just to be on the safe side. Get one row of screws in the support beams.
    Last edited by ZXJones; 03-17-2015 at 01:49 PM.

4. Member
    I could glue in a pad of 3/4 in plywood then screw the seat anchors to that. I am liking that idea.

5. Member
    through bolt it with nuts and washers, screws will just fall out after a while