94 Johnson 200 Venom prop question/advice

Hi gang,

I have a 94 200 Johnson Venom on a Stratos 201 pro xl. I do not have a jack plate and run a 24" 3 blade raker. The prop is a little dinged up. I have a great hole shot but top end GPS full tourney gear and 2 people (I am about 250 and friend about 180) trimmed out running about 56 mph at 6000 rpms.
    Question.....
    Should I consider a 26 raker or any other props/size?
    Is 6000 rpms too much for this motor?
    Would a 6" jack plate with a different prop make a difference or go to a 8"?
    Water pressure gauge does not work but I am getting that fixed this weekend and don't want to run the boat at those rpms with out knowing water pressure.

Feedback is greatly appreciated as always!
    KJ

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Re: 94 Johnson 200 Venom prop question/advice (KJ)

Hey KJ,
    With that 201 you should have enough steering cable to hang a 6" plate on it. Rusty can verify. If I was going to a manual plate I'd go with a Rapid Jack but that is my preferrence in plates. It all depends how you set it up for sure, I've done a few of the 201's, Rusty has done many more he sells them, I'm gonna defer to Mr. Law's on this set up. Nice ride though! CM

Re: 94 Johnson 200 Venom prop question/advice (KJ)

I've got a 97 201 w/ the 200 Venom. I'm running a 24 Raker w/ 6" plate and I'm over 6000 r's when it's cool out. Once it starts to get hot and muggy, I'm back down to 5800 w/ a full load. I just put a 26 raker on today and hope to be able to run it this weekend. I'll let you know how I do.
    97 Cajun 205, 200 Venom

4. Member
    JMO....... I believe the 26 is too much prop for the boat...... My experience withe the Stratos is they seem to like the gade or trophy's better.. again ...... JMO.........

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Re: (THE WITCHDOCTOR)

25 Gade should be a good prop!

Re: (Bassmeister)

25 gade on my boat has same r's and top speed as the raker(a little less actually). even tried a ballistic. The only thing noticable was the hole shot.
    97 Cajun 205, 200 Venom

7. Member

Re: (wecker20)

First, don't try to compare numbers on the 94 201 with the later 201's, the hull is heavier on the 94.

What ever prop you run, keep the rpm's close to 6,000. Just going to a larger prop will most likely only drop rpm and will not give you any more speed, may even drop speed, and kill hole shot.

I've installed 8" jackplates on 201's with the factory 13ft steering cables with no problems. 6" is good but I feel the 8" is the better choice, it gives a little more bow lift and still does not cause it to porpose.

With only 200 hp, getting a setup that gives good lift (bow and stern) is the key to getting more speed. I think your best bet would be to install a jackplate, play with engine heights to get it dialed in, then take those numbers and send your 24" Raker prop off and have it tuned for your boat. That Raker is a good prop for that boat once it has been tuned for it. I've setup a couple of 201 with 200's running in the lower 60's with similar loads and one 94 201 running a modified 200 w/28" raker at 6,400 rpm running 78 mph with two similar size people and full live well.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat View Post
    First, don't try to compare numbers on the 94 201 with the later 201's, the hull is heavier on the 94.

What ever prop you run, keep the rpm's close to 6,000. Just going to a larger prop will most likely only drop rpm and will not give you any more speed, may even drop speed, and kill hole shot.

I've installed 8" jackplates on 201's with the factory 13ft steering cables with no problems. 6" is good but I feel the 8" is the better choice, it gives a little more bow lift and still does not cause it to porpose.

With only 200 hp, getting a setup that gives good lift (bow and stern) is the key to getting more speed. I think your best bet would be to install a jackplate, play with engine heights to get it dialed in, then take those numbers and send your 24" Raker prop off and have it tuned for your boat. That Raker is a good prop for that boat once it has been tuned for it. I've setup a couple of 201 with 200's running in the lower 60's with similar loads and one 94 201 running a modified 200 w/28" raker at 6,400 rpm running 78 mph with two similar size people and full live well.

I have a 96 Ranger 391 XT with a johnson venom 200 and cant seem to get the boat up past 52mph with a what i believe is a tempest or regular OMC 23pitch 3 blade. What can i do to get more speed?

9. Member
    if you can get an old style raker 24p that will run good. a 25 renegade works well too - I know the renegade wanted to run at 3.25 under and the raker at 3.50. I ran the renegade at 3.5 but lost about 5 mph against the raker. I was told to run it at 3.25 or higher and I got all the speed back and got some better handling with the renegade.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weber85 View Post
    I have a 96 Ranger 391 XT with a johnson venom 200 and cant seem to get the boat up past 52mph with a what i believe is a tempest or regular OMC 23pitch 3 blade. What can i do to get more speed?
    this is an old thread,,,,Have someone check your motor out to insure it is running up to par and nothing is amiss/out of adjustment before you go throwing props at it. How long you owned the boat? Did it start running slower over time/quickly or has it always been like this? What rpm's are you turning at wide open throttle fully trimmed out? Do you have a jack plate and if so, what is pad to prop measurement? Is the speed on a GPS or dash speedo?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

11. Member
    I just got the boat. Ive only had it up to about 52 53 once. The prop needs to be reconditioned. But other then everything seems right. Gonna mess with the jack plate and height this weekend. I dont know the rpms. Th
    Tach doesnt work.

12. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    It is useless to mess with the jackplate until you have a working tach and know all is in harmony with the motor. Was the speed on the dash speedo or GPS? If the prop needs re-done, do it but please do the basic things before trying all the other stuff you mentioned.

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    A non-working tach could be an indication of larger issues that could cause performance issues...get that motor checked out.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I would not adjust the jackplate if the tach or water pressure gauge don't work.....How do you know it's turning 6k???

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Yous ask for help here and get advice then dont reply or follow and ask the same questions in the Ranger forum,,,and get the same answers......Geez.

16. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    And I really found this amusing-----

"Im not gonna have the boat long but im sure i can still get it to pass 60mph without fixing the RPM tach. Probly will fix it anyways. I have to get my prop reconditioned first and then do my measurements for pad height and make adjustments there. Then i should be good."

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar