115hp 4 STROKE MERCMONITOR

ENGINE IS A 2012 I HAVE LATEST MERCMONITOR HOOKED UP ALSO INSTALLED THE 4 ST CONVERSION KIT [889250K01] ON MOTOR QUESTION IS CAN I USE JUST A MALE TO MALE HARNESS [84-892452T01] TO CONNECT THE MERCMONITOR HARNESS TO ENGINE HARNESS OR DO I HAVE TO USE A 4 WAY WITH TERMINAL BLOCK IN IT.
    ALSO DO I NEED THE FUEL HARNESS FOR SENDING UNIT OR WILL THE FUEL LEVEL WORK THE WAY IT IS?

THANK YOU

Serial number for Don.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the forum, and provide your Engine Serial Number when posting. Thanks!

It will be necessary to know exactly what configuration you have for a keyswitch harness, control, and cabling in your boat in order to accurately answer your question.

If not 100% certain on those items, let's get your BOAT INFO (Make, Year, Model). That MAY give us a general idea of what you are dealing with.

Also- strongly suggest you provide the Part Number from your MercMonitor (there are currently FIVE different levels/version of the MercMonitor, plus a couple dozen of older, superseded part numbers).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Mercmonitor is a 79-8M0079864
    Boat is a 2013 Crestliner SuperHawk, Key switch is at the helm.
    Engine serial #1B953214

Thank You
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-10-2015 at 04:40 AM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by altstart620 View Post
    Mercmonitor is a 79-8M0079864
    Boat is a 2013 Crestliner SuperHawk, Key switch is at the helm.
    Engine serial #1B953214

Thank You
    Thank you for providing that information.

We can now determine you have a recent Level-1 MercMonitor, and a:

Serial# 1B953214
    Model# 1115F23KD
    MERCURY 115EFI EXLPT 4
    L4NA Version 4-stroke
    Manufactured: 9/7/12

The one "unknown" is WHAT keyswitch harness you have in the boat. In order to utilize a Junction Adapter, you MUST have either the Mercury 14-pin harness (complete with Terminating Resistor for Can-P hanging from the harness), OR a 10-pin Mercury Smartcraft Harness (with terminating resistors at EACH END of the harness).

Most "aftermarket" harnesses used by various boat manufacturers are NOT suitable for use with Smartcraft.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Don I believe it is 14 pin with can.
    The harness for the stock gauges plugged into that 10 pin connector but it had that separate 2 pin connector on the side going to fuel gauge. I figured out the dark blue wire in the connector circled in red is for nav lights so the pink has to be sending unit.
    .IMG_07541.jpg
    IMG_07581.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg

I assume in this bottom picture that this is the yellow terminating resistor

Thanks Again
    Last edited by altstart620; 03-10-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First picture does denote a 10 pin connector, which would include the Can-P circuits. Only question would whether a terminating resistor is included on the harness itself (visually confirm, OR, disconnect harness from engine, and measure resistance on Can-P circuit to confirm how many resistors remain in the circuit).

Second picture: Unknown make of miscellaneous instrument harness. NOT a Mercury component.

Third Picture: Yes, the yellow-banded cap IS the engine's Terminating Resistor (factory installed resistor ON THE ENGINE HARNESS). One resistor required at ENGINE END, another required at DASH end (in this particular application).

There are also other (more simple) means of running a Can network (takes ALL of the testing/research out of the equation)... if you prefer to move in that direction.

8. Member
    So I think I have this figured out it has the blue terminal resistor at helm end so I am ok with running the male to male adapter to the mercmonitor harness.
    Now the only thing I am wondering can I just tap into the harness to the right of the motor terminal resistor that has 6 terminals one is pink with black the other is just black, with the tank sending unit pink wire and black wire that is ground. (For the fuel level).
    IMG_0762.jpg

Thank You again
    Erik

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Erik:

Based on your above (most recent) information, you could simply utilize a Junction Adapter (male-to-male) at the console, as you described.

Do NOT splice into the engine wiring harness.

If you want to add fuel level, obtain the APPROPRIATE Boat (Fuel/Tank/Paddle) harness.

In YOUR ENGINE'S case- Part# 8M0075945

10. Member
    Don everything hooked up works great even networked to my Onix.

Thank You Again for taking your time to help out. Now just waiting for ice to melt.

Erik