Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mercury 1.5L optimax Maintenance

Did my annual spring service on my Optimax today and took several pics today to make the how to thread I promised awhile back to put in the maintanence sticky. I will have a water pump thread as well. Hope this helps someone who is considering doing it themselves but may be a little unsure. This is how I do it no specific order or anything. Its not that bad lets get started.

Start out draining the gearcase oil. This way the oil can drain as you perform other items since it does take awhile. 3 plugs on this model and they are all on the starboard side of the gearcase. First remove the lower drain plug then the upper 2 plugs. after the gearcase is fully drained this is when you check the oil for discoloration any metallic material or water in the oil. At this stage I also remove the prop to check for line or debris wrapped around the seal. When I re install the prop I always add a film of 2-4-C grease to the spines and shaft.
    image.jpg

Next I move the the VST and fuel filter. To drain the VST there is a black hose connected across both fittings across from each chamber. Remove the hose from one side and place in a clear jar or bowl etc and open the drain with the appropriate size allen wrench. This takes a bit then once the one side is drained switch to the other side with the hose and repeat.
    image.jpg. After both chambers are drained this is where the clear jar comes in handy you can inspect the fuel for fuel line debris or any water in the fuel system. This checked out good. Next I pull the fuel filter. VERY IMPORTANT: you need to use the mercury fuel filter tool # 91-896661. Using a screwdriver will break off the tabs. Once the filter is removed inspect it for debris and also be sure to look down into the fuel filter chamber in the VST and check for any fuel line or other debris.
    image.jpg

Here is the old and new filter. Also be sure when you install the new filter to lube the o rings with a light film of merc/quicksilver 2-4-C grease.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 03-07-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Next remove the top and starboard side engine covers which just pull off they are stud mounted on rubber grommets. Then I check the compressor air filter. Its located on the starboard side mounted on the oil tank. 3 screws hold it in place. The hose just slips off no clamps here. I replace this item every other year. It was not due this year still looked clean.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Next is spark plugs. Just 3 on this model. Use NGK IZFR5J for this engine. Here is a pic of the old plug from the top cylinder.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Gap the new plugs at .032 and torque them at 20 ft/lbs.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 03-07-2015 at 09:20 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Next was the belt. I am actually a year overdue for a belt. Recommended every 4 years for the belt on this model. 3/8" square or 3/8 drive extension to release the tension and remove/install the belt. We found that installing over the crank and alternator pulleys FIRST then over the tapered edge of the compressor pulley last was the easiest way to slip it on its a very snug fit.
    image.jpg

Next I grease the pivot points. Only 3 on this engine. The tilt tube, steering tube and the zerc for the trim support stop (only ever use for servicing for me). Use merc/quicksilver 2-4-C grease.
    image.jpg image.jpg

The gearcase has by now finished draining so time to refill it. Make sure the old seals are out of the drain holes and that the surfaces are clean on both the gearcase and plug. Install new seals on the plugs. Either the rubberized yellow seals or the blue fiber seals are acceptable. I prefer the blue since I always replace them every change. Merc/quicksilver high performance SAE90 gear lube for this model. Fill by using a merc pump kit that threads into the lower drain and pump the oil in from the bottom. This model does not take a full qt about 3/4 of a qt. pump until the oil in visible at the base of the oil level plug (NOT SPEWING OUT) and reinstall the plug. Then pump until the oil is just at the base of the threads on the vent plug (they are labeled) again not spewing out and install the plug. Now remove the oil fill hose and install the lower plug. You dont want the oil spewing out of the upper plugs because you do not want to over fill. If over filled the gearcase can build up too much pressure during expansion in operation and damage the seals.
    image.jpg

Next check the trim fluid level. Trim the engine all the way up and place the safety latch into place. Remove the yellow cap and check that the level is at least at the base of the threads.
    image.jpg
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Next is the Compressor strainer in the cooling system. Remove the 3 mounting bolts on the VST. The 2 lower bolts will have spacers behind them. The strainer is located underneath there is a 90 degree bend rubber hose going to it. Remove the hose by cutting the zip tie and use an 18mm socket to remove the strainer. Check for debris. On this one if you look close you can see the one square has some silt in it otherwise its clean as a whistle. Clean the threads on both the block and strainer and add new thread sealant on the threads. I use permatex thread sealant. Then reinstall til snug. Re install the hose. When replacing the zip tie. A standard zip tie is NOT the best choice. Mercury has special ties eith a rounded shoulder for fuel and coolant lines like this. Tighten with a new appropriate merc tie and then re install the VST with its 3 bolts and hardware that you removed.
    image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Luckily dad was here to help today it really helps having another set of hands to hold the VST out of the way when removing the strainer. After this I give a thorough visual inspection to check for any leaks loose wiring or rubbed wires etc. check that the oiling system is not leaking anywhere especially in the oil pump area. Hopefully this is helpful to some folks.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 03-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Very nice write up dude.. .. When you gonna do those reeds
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Thanks. This summer for the reeds.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    Wow - great job with this write -up! Suer helpful. When you grease the pivot points - is it as simple as placing the tube of grease onto those little nubs and squeezing some in…..how much do you put in? Thanks - never done this before.

8. Member
    bto - on the last pic of the compressor strainer - i only see the middle pic. i clicked on the first and 3rd attachment and it says contact administrator. is it only one pic? thanks great write up.

Quote Originally Posted by gpbassbuster View Post
    bto - on the last pic of the compressor strainer - i only see the middle pic. i clicked on the first and 3rd attachment and it says contact administrator. is it only one pic? thanks great write up.
    I think I got it let me know if it wont show up for you guys still.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Banned
    Good write up!

11. Member
    Nice write up Roy. Should be very helpful to Optimax owners that want to tackle the routine maintenance. I will be doing all of this in the next couple weeks. Pretty easy motor to do the routine maintenance on. I wish I had a guide like this when I did my first year.
    Last edited by Ship; 03-08-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    Wow - great job with this write -up! Suer helpful. When you grease the pivot points - is it as simple as placing the tube of grease onto those little nubs and squeezing some in…..how much do you put in? Thanks - never done this before.
    Thank you.
    For greasing I just use a small grease gun with the 3 oz tubes of merc/quicksilver 2-4-C grease. As far as how much its tough to explain I guess I just go by feel. You dont want to see the grease coming out of the pivot points thats too much and you have bypassed the seal. Generally the handle on the gun will have slightly more resistance when its full of grease. The tilt tube averages 3-4 pumps and the steering tube averages about 5 pumps every year. Here is a pic of the style of gun I use. The tip snaps onto the zerc. There is a click you feel when it is fully seated. This is importantant otherwise the grease doesnt gonin the fitting and runs out all over.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 03-09-2015 at 03:41 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    Nice write up Roy. Should be very helpful to Optimax owners that want to tackle the routine maintenance. I will be doing all of this in the next couple weeks. Pretty easy motor to do the routine maintenance on. I wish I had a guide like this when I did my first year.
    Thanks Kent. They really arent too bad to maintain. I enjoy doing it every year actually.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Thank you.
    For greasing I just use a small grease gun with the 3 oz tubes of merc/quicksilver 2-4-C grease. As far as how much its tough to explain I guess I just go by feel. You dont want to see the grease coming out of the pivot points thats too much and you have bypassed the seal. Generally the handle on the gun will have slightly more resistance when its full of grease. The tilt tube averages 3-4 and the steering tube averages about 5 every year. Here is a pic of the style of gun I use. The tip snaps onto the zerc. There is a click you feel when it is fully seated. This is importantant otherwise the grease doesnt gonin the fitting and runs out all over.
    image.jpg
    Thanks Roy! When you say 3-4 for the tilt tube you mean 3-4 pulls on the trigger or ounces of grease? I'm guessing trigger pulls depends on the type of grease gun but just want to make sure. I'll be doing this this Spring. As always - you provide a wealth of info for many of us not so versed in these things - great help.

16. Member
    Great tread Roy on annual maintenance. With such detailed step by step instruction, anyone should be able to attempt this task. Properly maintaining your own motor doesn't take much time at all. The time spent is a true investment.

Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    Thanks Roy! When you say 3-4 for the tilt tube you mean 3-4 pulls on the trigger or ounces of grease? I'm guessing trigger pulls depends on the type of grease gun but just want to make sure. I'll be doing this this Spring. As always - you provide a wealth of info for many of us not so versed in these things - great help.
    Good catch sorry about that I edited it. Those numbers are pumps of the handle. Glad it helped out.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    Nice job Roy !! This will save a lot of money for all of us opti owners. Thank you.
    Last edited by poleNhand; 03-09-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    Luck favors the prepared ; Louis pasteur

19. Member
    Excellent thread sir! New to the Optimax family this will help a lot.
    Daryl Larson
    13 Triton 18pro, 150hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Garmin Electronics

20. Member
    Thanks for this post. That's why I enjoy this forum. So many knowledgable people who share stuff like this. Great post!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast