Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Mine is going to Don tomorrow at European Marine. I'm sure once it is out of warranty, I will begin to tackle some of these things myself :-) Great write up. I'm SURE it'll be a sticky ?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by pitcrew1025 View Post
    Mine is going to Don tomorrow at European Marine. I'm sure once it is out of warranty, I will begin to tackle some of these things myself :-) Great write up. I'm SURE it'll be a sticky ?!?!?!?!?!
    Link is in post #40.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I finally made use of this sticky today doing everything except for checking the strainer behind the VST. Other than changing spark plugs, this is the first time in 15 years that I've done my own maintenance mostly because until three years ago I had it winterized annually. Since I can now fish essentially year around I decided that it was time for a thorough go over. Imagine my surprise when I checked the compressor filter and there WAS NO FILTER. Yep, the filter that you should change every 100 hours was not there. So I have to wonder how long that has been the case.

Almost forgot to add that on one of my spark plugs about 1/2 the insulator had broken off. I wonder where that piece went? Hate to even think about it but the motor has been running fine.
    Last edited by tcesni; 02-08-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I never serviced the oil filter for the compressor on mine either. That would be a dealer item since you would have to prime the system again. I figure its always clean merc oil running theough it in my case no combustion unless there was a problem it should stay clean.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I’m talking about the air filter held in place by three screws on the oil tank.
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Oh sorry misunderstood. Really? Thats odd. I would get one mine would get dirty replaced it about every other year. They about $15.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I finally made use of this sticky today doing everything except for checking the strainer behind the VST. Other than changing spark plugs, this is the first time in 15 years that I've done my own maintenance mostly because until three years ago I had it winterized annually. Since I can now fish essentially year around I decided that it was time for a thorough go over. Imagine my surprise when I checked the compressor filter and there WAS NO FILTER. Yep, the filter that you should change every 100 hours was not there. So I have to wonder how long that has been the case.

Almost forgot to add that on one of my spark plugs about 1/2 the insulator had broken off. I wonder where that piece went? Hate to even think about it but the motor has been running fine.
    That's one of the primary reasons that plugs are recommended once per year OR every 100 hours, whichever occurs FIRST. You know where the "piece" went... though it sounds like you may have been lucky.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's one of the primary reasons that plugs are recommended once per year OR every 100 hours, whichever occurs FIRST. You know where the "piece" went... though it sounds like you may have been lucky.
    The odd thing is that last year I went to my local Mercury dealer to buy plugs and the owner actually talked me out of doing so. He said, if the motor is running OK why do you want to spend $60? So I didn't buy them. That won't happen again.

I replaced mine every other year. Inspected every year tho. Always had a set on hand if i seen something i didnt like.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Just a brief update, three local Mercury dealers and none stock compressor filters, supposedly a regular maintenance item so I ordered them over the internet

I always ordered mine from Don. He must stock them because they always shipped out right away. As many optis that are out there one would think thats a common item.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    He must stock them because they always shipped out right away. As many optis that are out there one would think thats a common item.
    Yes... normally a stocking item.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123