Thread: Repowering

Repowering

I am looking to re-power my 2001 Stratos 20 SS Extreme, Evinrude 225 FICHT with a newer E-tec (around 2010). Will the controls I have work for an Etec that new or will I have to buy new gauges/controls? Any feedback is appreciated as this is my first time swapping motors.

When I had my 1999 Ficht 150 re-powered to a new E-Tech 150 HO everything worked. I remember asking my mechanic if my controls would work. He said as long as I had a system check check tachometer that I was good to go. If you have a Ficht you should already have a system check tachometer. I also remember him saying that my oil tank would work but he would have to modify my return oil line. Actually if my memory is correct he said remove and plug the return oil line. In my situation all my existing stuff worked.

3. Member
    Yes they will work.
    E-TEC does not use the return oil line.

4. Member
    That's a huge relief! Thanks guys! Don't know if I could swing both a new motor and controls. Thanks again!

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Most times they do come with new controls. But if you don't need it you can always re sell it.