Smoking a Lead Mold ?

What does it mean to smoke a mold? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    to apply soot with a carborizing flame from an acetylene torch

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    You can also smoke it with a candle. It will turn the mold black with soot as mentioned above. Just get carbon all over the cavity areas.
    ALSO heat up the mold BEFORE you pour your lead. Never pour in a cold mold
    Hope this helps.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

4. Member
    If you are having trouble with a mold, Frankfort Arsenal Dropout spray is way better than smoking one.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    If you are having trouble with a mold, Frankfort Arsenal Dropout spray is way better than smoking one.
    The graphite mold prep stuff is the way to go. The Drop Out spray is really easy to use, and it lasts a long time.

6. Member
    Obviously I'm new to lead pouring and had never seen the "smoking" term used until I saw it in a classified ad. I have already poured a couple times. Do I still need to smoke? Do I need to smoke before each pour or just 1 time. Again, thanks in advance.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalliebiggs View Post
    Obviously I'm new to lead pouring and had never seen the "smoking" term used until I saw it in a classified ad. I have already poured a couple times. Do I still need to smoke? Do I need to smoke before each pour or just 1 time. Again, thanks in advance.

You'll see it wearing off, and you will notice that things don't drop free or come out of the mold as easily. It lasts a while, and you'll want to treat the mold before it gets hot. You can only treat a cold mold, so you can't once you start casting.

8. Member
    Guess I'm just lucky I've never had to smoke a mold and haven't tried the Frankfort stuff

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Guess I'm just lucky I've never had to smoke a mold and haven't tried the Frankfort stuff
    Most of my molds don't need it but on the ones that do it has been a life saver.