Decision Time! Opinions welcome!

Ok so here is the deal -- I been getting reward points at work. These points can be redeemed for gift cards at various vendors. Unfortunately, the only vendor of interest for me is Cabela's. I have $800 in Cabela's GC's to spend. Of course I would love to get another new toy for the boat. I have a 2006 188VS. I just most recently purchased a power pole few weeks ago (when Bass Pro was running their special), which I have not installed yet, since the boat is still in winter storage.

My choices to buy are:

1) A second Power Pole
    2) A Lowrance Touch HDS7 for the bow (currently have a HDS5 up front)
    3) Hydraulic jack plate (Atlas 8in setback)

I am torn really between the HDS7 and a second PP, although I will likely need to install at least a manual JP if I am going to run dual PP's. Thoughts?

2. Member
    Since your already looking at the hds7 gen2 touch I would go that route just for the fact that they have a $200 rebate now. Take that 200 and apply it to you power pole later. Basically going that route increases the value of your reward points by $200 bucks!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AObuk442 View Post
    Since your already looking at the hds7 gen2 touch I would go that route just for the fact that they have a $200 rebate now. Take that 200 and apply it to you power pole later. Basically going that route increases the value of your reward points by $200 bucks!
    Not a bad Idea, I just looked up the rebate, It looks like if I get a HDS7 (w/o ducer) $949 on sale and buy a Lss-2 ducer separate (price match to $199 from West Marine), then it would qualify for the $300 rebate. $1148 - $300 rebate = $848, seems like a good way to go! Good call on the Rebate.

if it was me, the Atlas plate would be my first choice because you already have a PP and the HDS5 unit is a great unit. The plate will help your performance also..... if you upgrage your sonar unit later, go at lease with a 9, especially up front. It also comes with dual Ethernet connections therefore you can keep the HDS 5 up there and connect them together for the SS.
    2013 Z119 with a Evinrude 225 ETEC HO
    2013 Ram Laramie
    http://fish.shimano.com/

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoHorvath View Post
    if it was me, the Atlas plate would be my first choice because you already have a PP and the HDS5 unit is a great unit. The plate will help your performance also..... if you upgrage your sonar unit later, go at lease with a 9, especially up front. It also comes with dual Ethernet connections therefore you can keep the HDS 5 up there and connect them together for the SS.
    Do you think a Hydraulic is overkill for my size boat though? I fish shallow most of the time but nothing that gets me into trouble that I would need the hydraulic for. Or am I over thinking things like usualy...ha.... I have the HDS9 Touch at my console, I would likely just do a switch, to your point.....since i spend most of the time at the bow fishing.

6. Member
    What good are 2 power poles and no way to mount then.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    What good are 2 power poles and no way to mount then.
    The plan is to get a Sandwich bracket for one, or a manual JP if I have 2, but tossing up the idea of upgrading to a hydraulic instead of a second PP. Too many options. see my struggle??

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'm with Bronco. I'd go in the following order.....

Hydraulic plate - you'll think you're driving a new boat.
    2nd PP
    New FF
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax