Broken Motor Mount Shroud on 250 Pro XS

Friday morning I hit a log and when I got home I noticed a small peice of broken metal in the lower cowling so I took the lower cowling off and noticed that where the two upper motor mounts going into the motor has a metal sleeve over them broke off right at the lips. Did anyone ever experience this before? It seems like the rest of the motor mount shroud is good and only broke at the lip. What do you guys think?

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman1 View Post
    Friday morning I hit a log and when I got home I noticed a small peice of broken metal in the lower cowling so I took the lower cowling off and noticed that where the two upper motor mounts going into the motor has a metal sleeve over them broke off right at the lips. Did anyone ever experience this before? It seems like the rest of the motor mount shroud is good and only broke at the lip. What do you guys think?

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Does anyone have a clue what I'm dealing with here?

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Ok. It looks like it's the clamp forthe top motor mount. Key 27 What does it take to get to this part to change out? Costwise?

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Get the boat/engine in to your Authorized Mercury Dealer for inspection, and contact your insurance company.

There are likely MORE items damaged than "meet the eye"... and the powerhead (at a MINIMUM) will need to be removed to repair.

Gearcase, propshaft, prop, trim system, engine mounting hardware, transom brackets, swivel bracket/swivel pin, engine mounts, driveshaft housing, steering, jackplate, transom, and hull integrity will ALL need to be checked.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Will do Don. Thanks.

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    What did it end up taking to repair this? I think my motor mount is also broken.. Im trying to find a parts list for what it will take to repair.

8. Member
    hit a log #1 ins claim
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Like stated in post #5 the power head has to be removed. When this happened tome, I had the wiring tube replaced that goes from the boat to the motor. It was split and it's easier to replace when the ph is removed. Just a heads up in case your tube needs to be replaced. Also I think there is an upgraded upper motor mount you might check on.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

10. Member
    Upgrade to solid mounts way better
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Upgrade to solid mounts way better
    Yep I replaced mine BEFORE it broke!

12. Member
    Had this happen. Had to replace both the mounts and the bracket.