Thread: 176 setups????

176 setups????

Just acquired a 89 176 in excellent shape with a 150 mariner mag II on it. 6'' jackplate..don't know measurement yet but will soon. Also running a 24" trophy. Is this a good setup?? Previous owner said would push 70...with light load...is this possible?? I figured low 60's but I've been a R&*(^r man and this is my first champion and can't wait to get her on the water..i've heard SOO much about their ride. I'll post pics soon...from the condition of this boat I stole her...just wondering other setups and what you've done, seen done, and experienced with this hull/engine combo...from the size of the boat and knowing what the old mercs/mariners would do should be pretty potent rig. I would think I could run a 25" with this small hull but it may be pretty heavy. Thanks alot and look foward to hearing from owners and previous owners..by they way...I fish alot...and have heard the trophy is where its at...although giving up 2-4mph to the tempest. Thanks again!!

2. Member

Re: 176 setups???? (Scrapper)

I had a 1988 176 with a 150 Mercury XR4. The motor was mounted 2 holes up and I ran a 26 Lazer II prop @ 5700 Rpm's. Not sure of the speed, but it really ran fast. I past many larger boats with 200's on them. The only boat that I can remember passing me was a Ranger 340 with a 150 Mercury on it.

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Welcome to the Champion family!!

We have some 176 owners/previous owners who should be along shortly... I had a 1990, but just 110 on it, so cannot compare numbers..

4. Member

Re: 176 setups???? (Lea)

I have heard that the tempest is a bit aggressive for the 2.4 liter..is this true?? I have a buddy that has a 373 Ranger that with 150blackmax both 87 models. He does not have a jackplate but will...going to put a 6" on it...I know it needs a bigger one but we have a 6"....just wondering about that motor pulling the tempest...I also had thought about a tempest...I think it was a champion owner in the prop forum talking about it...I have a 24" trophy and he has a 25" laser II...I'm going to let him try my trophy as his boat looks like a sub trying to go under coming across the lake..lol...NO BOW LIFT. Question I'm asking is about the 150blackmax and my 150 MagII turning a tempest...or should we stick to the trophy?? Just wondering...seems like it was Championman....thanks.

Can't wait to hear more stuff on 176's...I'm an ag teacher and this is our busy time...but a couple more weeks and I'll be back on the water....DANG its a nice day today...lol

5. Member

I can tell you this about my 1988 with a 1988 Mercury 150 XR4. With the Lazer II prop my bow lift was awesome. You could just feel the boat lifting and lifting when I was running into a 1 ' chop. You could feel the air under the hull and then that last feeling of just about only air. I cannot imagine a boat getting any more lift or speed without flipping over backwards. It was like driving right on the edge. Once I got to where I could drive through the chine walk, it was a piece of cake. I used to have photos of it and you could really see the lift. I wish we would have had GPS units in those days. Also, back then they did not recommend a jack-plate due to the transom/hull design.

Re: 176 setups???? (Bassin08)

I didn't have a jackplate on mine either. Lazer 2 on my XR4 also and for the life of me I can't remember the pitch. I also had great lift on mine. I bought a 6" Bob's plate for it but never put it on. There just wasn't much need.
    My motor turned about 5900 loaded light and that was in the XR4's power range. That was a fast, fun little boat that surprised a lot of people with the speed.
    One thing no one has mentioned is backwash. My boat loaded down to fish would back wash some. It's no big deal, just feather it a bit when you're coming off plane and no problems.
    The 176 is the best all-around under 18' boat ever built by any boat company IMHO.
    I had a ton-o-fun with mine, I hope you do with yours.
    John Slaughter
    ......... Bankrupt Boat Trash Since 1977.........