Curious about more information

After following this message board for several months, I noticed a large amount of posts about maintenance on the Pro XS motors. I have one of the Mercury 150 HP 4 strokes and wondered if there's much information out on what types of things to watch out for, periodic maintenance or anything of the same types of information?
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

2. Member
    THAT FOUR STROKE IS ONE OF THE BEST MOTORS YOU WILL EVER FIND. PUNCH IN MERCURY FOUR STROKE MAINTENANCE AND YOU WILL FIND A LOT OF HELP.

3. Member
    If you take the cowling off there is a sticker on the port side of motor that has all that info

Quote Originally Posted by sjcorpst View Post
    After following this message board for several months, I noticed a large amount of posts about maintenance on the Pro XS motors. I have one of the Mercury 150 HP 4 strokes and wondered if there's much information out on what types of things to watch out for, periodic maintenance or anything of the same types of information?
    There is a Four Stroke Verado Forum under this Optimax one that has all your info.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NORRIS CRAFT 1 View Post
    THAT FOUR STROKE IS ONE OF THE BEST MOTORS YOU WILL EVER FIND. PUNCH IN MERCURY FOUR STROKE MAINTENANCE AND YOU WILL FIND A LOT OF HELP.
    and you are shouting at us why? (all caps)
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by grybrd View Post
    and you are shouting at us why? (all caps)
    I think he does it so its easier for him to see the text. Really no biggy.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving this thread to the 4-stroke / Verado forum.

Check the "Commonly Asked- Commonly Used" sticky post regularly.

A Maintenance Checklist is in the works... will likely end up being SEVERAL of them, since there are a number of (different) 4-stroke engine models that have been built.

Currently compiling the list(s).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The maintenace as far as changing oil,oil filter, lower unit oil is pretty straight forward as you would expect just follow the service manual procedures. The two items I would pay attention to is the fuel filter change while the connections are easy push-in what you don't see in the Merc service video is they have the engine on a stand with no cables or harnesses connected so it may not be an easy pull up and change out in 10 seconds you will want to look at yours and see if any rigging is blocking the way that you might have to rearrange a little. Also watch the bottom hose on the fuel filter I would not disconnect and let go it may disappear into lower cowling black hole have your new filter ready to connect up to lower hose. The second item to note is that the spark plugs are very deep into the engine once you pull a spark plug wire you will see what I mean. If there was ever an engine that you would want to hand thread each plug to get them started this is it. They are easy to change just take your time.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"