Banned

Replacing Rod Grips ?

Guys, I know nothing about rod building. Is it possible to take a finished rod like a 13 Fishing Omen, and put Winn Grips on it ?

Who would I have do it and how much would something like that cost ?

Here's a recent thread that may be of help. http://www.bbcboards.net/rod-buildin...full-grip.html

You're looking at a cost of probably $25 to $50 not including the components/epoxy needed. I think the last one I did I charged around $75 and that included removing a grip, cleaning the area, and going back with a split grip I custom turned on the lathe that was made out of cork and burl cork.

3. Member
    Full Or split? Splits would be a little tougher.

Videos : Tourstar, Fishing Rods and Grips

Check these out they are similar. I have built 4 rods so far with the Winn Grips, Yet tou use them, but they look good in the corner, with a rod sleeve on them....Come on spring

4. Member
    You can do splits but if its a painted blank you will usually end up with a few chips in which case I use carbon tube as a sleeve to cover. It only adds a few grams and it looks killer.

I have fished with Winn grips for 2 seasons. 2 complaints, one they are a little soft, so when pop your bait out of grass you really feel the edge of the reel seat when the grip compresses. Second everybody and their brother will be grabbing up your rods to feel them.

5. Member
    Its actually quite easy and Winn has developed a machine that will do it but you can also do it by hand using double sided tape and mineral spirits. Winn also has new grips out that they have increased the firmness of the EVA. I agree it was too soft but they have increased it to the point of it feels just like any quality EVA on the big manufactures.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/theadamsprojectfly
    Instagram: theadamsproject

6. Anglersedgecustomrods
    When you remove the old grip be careful not to get into the blank! DO NOT use your razor knife so careless like the guy in the tour star video! Some of his close ups looked like I could see some fibers hanging off the rod that he cut with his knife! Use some Rod building epoxy not double sided sticky tape!

7. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlandtexan View Post
    Use some Rod building epoxy not double sided sticky tape!

It is practically impossible to install one of these grips from the rear with epoxy. The EVA acts as a squeegie and pushes all of the epoxy to the reel seat. I have installed many, both new builds and retrofits. When installing on a new build, I use Rod Bond. When doing a re-grip, I use carpet tape and lighter fluid. I have yet to see one with the tape come off. That's how golf grips are installed and basically, that's what a Winn grip is.

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    It is practically impossible to install one of these grips from the rear with epoxy. The EVA acts as a squeegie and pushes all of the epoxy to the reel seat. I have installed many, both new builds and retrofits. When installing on a new build, I use Rod Bond. When doing a re-grip, I use carpet tape and lighter fluid. I have yet to see one with the tape come off. That's how golf grips are installed and basically, that's what a Winn grip is.

Mr. Havonec -
    How do you like these grips? I haven't used them or had requests for them them yet. I'm thinking maybe they'd be good on moving bait rods, but not feel rods. My thinking is that this material is similar to what is added to golf grips to dampen vibration, which goes against what you're trying to accomplish on feel rods.

9. Goby King
    They're really no different than EVA. They just have a tacky rubber coating. My hand is barely on them on either spinning rod or casting rod, as i'm mostly holding the reel seat.