Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Contacting Don (and/or requesting) Technical Support

If you need assistance, I'm ALWAYS willing to try and help. However, you should pick ONE of the following (preferably starting at the TOP of the list as the most preferable methods):

-Post your question, with engine serial number and a BRIEF detailing of your question or problem. If further questions/responses are necessary, be patient and respond as required.

-PM me through the BBC system. If you're responding to a PM- DON'T ERASE THE QUOTES, PLEASE.

-Email me (can be accomplished by clicking on my member name- NOTE: You must setup YOUR email information, and accept contacts from all members to utilize this feature)

-Phone the office- many times my staff can assist, and if not, leave a message, I will return your call when I can take a break (I must be able to reach you at the number you provide, however, the FIRST time- only one attempted callback will occur).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For some reason (lately), some feel it necessary to post two or more times in separate forums, send FOUR or more PM's, call the office and leave a message, and then call back again within 2 hours... yet they don't have voicemail on their phone, and don't ANSWER their phone...
    And all that within 6 hours!

This is simply inconsiderate.

In the time it takes me to sort through all of those contacts.... I could have helped THREE (or more) other people that were patiently waiting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally:

We will no longer be providing support for E-bay Purchases
    in the Mercury Forums.

If you bought two motors, parts, or a bunch of rigging (or Smartcraft) components off E-bay (or Amazon)... please contact your E-bay (or Amazon) seller for support on those products.

It takes a considerable amount of time to accurately spec out the rigging components for an engine-rigging job... and nearly DOUBLE that amount of time to sort through a bunch of production part numbers that came from cables, adapters, and "stuff" that were purchased through auctions. I find that each week I'm spending 5 or more hours sorting out these situations for folks... most commonly so they can go back to Ebay and buy some more stuff, then contact me when something doesn't work (again).

I'm happy to assist those who are willing to work through NORMAL channels, and even happy to assist in cases where products were purchased from other BBC sponsors (or in normal, Retail Packaging from ANY Authorized Mercury Dealer- which, by the way is a requirement for Parts and Accessories Warranty coverage).

Thank you for your cooperation, and understanding!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Thanks Don ! I know I certainly appreciate your knowledge, wisdom and willingness to assist. Love my smart craft you installed by the way :-)

3. Banned
    Yep, initially I had considered the ebay route UNTIL I learned more and more that didn't make much sense. Then I learned about YOU from a buddy on a pontoon boat forum and here I am, and 3 years later, 2 Mercmonitor kits plus a lot of maintenance stuff. Love reading through my Mercury OEM Service Manual. Might get to the point I can't do it myself anymore, but I sure can dream about it Now some stuff not motor related - learned my lesson the HARD way on an Evinrude - a starter - not one but several before another mechanic told me WHY those other starters kept failing - bendix gear was NOT the correct size. I couldn't tell by the eye but HE could and then I noticed the difference. Yep, I'll either get Jones Trolling Motors to rebuild them or buy it new. You can ALSO tell in the types of service that not ALL Mercury Shops have the same level of customer care like Don or Evolution Marine down in Houma LA (and I'm sure there are others).

I hear good reviews from another Mercury repair about an hour from me - but he lost a sale because I felt he was snubbing me (didn't give a rats ass attitude). I went there to buy a motor and I went somewhere else and spent $40 more somewhere else to GET IT DONE (although I hate that place too) Had I know about Evolution Marine in Houma then (one of my favorite fishing holes), I would have just taken my Nitro there and got the 4 stroke I wanted.

I'm always amazed though at Don's extreme amount of patience. Wished I had just a quarter of that

Don made buying a mercmonitor kit very simple. I will buy all my mercury products from him. I just wish he was in Texas so I could bring him my boat

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke