Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Ok now I guess my next question would be, I am pretty strapped by budget so do I make do until I can find a deal on the larger gearcase and change it and get a prop then. Or do I get a prop now that will work with the stock lower? Thanks for the help

2. Member
    You should be able to get a good deal on a used trophy or a lazer over on the props board. If you can't/don't want to afford the gearcase swap right now, I would hunt down a good used prop and get ti worked to suit your rig. Then you can decide if you want to drop the serious coin on the engine work. I would be looking for a prop for what I have now if it was me. Hope that helps.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

3. Pat Goff
    I'd look at an a or b choice, A being a unworked lazer 23 that you'd send to Steve or Mark, or if you're really that tight a small hub 23 trophy. Nothing else would make it on my list of choices.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Member
    Would the trophy or lazer be a better prop? Also what pitch?

5. Member
    The pitches are in Pat's post a 23P in both the Lazer or trophy. As far as which is better kinda depends. The Lazer will be good when it's worked but if you don't have the money for the prop and the work to get the prop where you want/need it then go with trophy. The lazer should give you better top and better lift once it's worked. The trophy should be better out if the hole once you get the plugs right and should handle a little better but won't be as fast. The trophy will stay on plane at lower speeds. Having run both in a 21P I liked the worked Lazer better.
    Last edited by Gunny146; 03-06-2015 at 09:57 AM.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

6. Pat Goff
    Out of the box lazer is a bonafide turd, don't even make it a choice if you're not going to have it fixed right.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    What is the usual cost of having a prop worked? Never had one done

8. Member
    Depends check Mark's website should be link over in the props board. I think mine was 230ish but that was a few years ago.

9. Member
    Ok I got a little more info. I haven't had a chance to run it again but I did a compression check and all are between 140-150. I also brought the prop by a prop shop and it is pretty bad.. Its an old turbo prop but is out of pitch and cup is about gone. The markings on the prop were done by another local prop shop years ago that is now closed. He also suggested the same as I have got here about the Trophy but he said he could make this prop work but would not be as good as the trophy but would get me by.

10. Member
    Also if I were to look into getting the trophy, would I need the Trophy plus or Trophy sport?

11. Member
    Trophy plus not a sport they are for smaller motors.

12. Member
    Update, I bought a trophy plus 23p and wow what a difference. Out of the hole was about 4-5 seconds. It was too rough to get top end numbers but prop lifts boat very good and I squeezed 61 mph. I am hoping to get a longer run tomorrow to get best speed. Im sure I could mess with the plugs but dont know what to change to help hole shot. Like I said it was good but that was empty with only half a tank of gas in one tank.

13. Member
    Did you see a lot of boats in the water? I put in in Bridge City and run towards the Vinton drain ditch. Got past by about 4 packs of 5 boats from the elites. I slowed down so they could pass.lol

14. Member
    We seen a few but my son is on the high school fishing team and he got to help the elite guys with weigh in yesterday. He was carrying there bags, helping with whatever the pros needed and got alot of their autographs. He had a great time and the elites were very nice to them. What a great experience for them

15. Member
    Only other thing I noticed is the prop to pad measurement I got was about 4.5 but motor seems buried in the water. Sitting idling the tell tell stream is just about under water. Just seems really low. To be able to check the prop to pad measurement we had to jack the boat up about 6-7 inches to be able to put it all the way down

16. Member
    Also have to pedal the throttle pretty good to keep from swamping the back of the boat when slowing down

17. Member
    Any thoughts on the two above issues?

18. Pat Goff
    Nothing unusual about either one.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

19. Member
    Took the boat out yesterday and with glass like water I got 63 mph out of it. I am happy with that. Chine wasnt bad at all. With a fishing load its still a bit sluggish out of the hole. I havent messed with the plugs in the prop because I wasnt sure if taking out or putting in helped with holeshot. Any help there would be appreciated.

20. Member
    If it's sluggish take plugs out/change plug size if it spins to the moon put plugs in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12