Differences between the Verado and Pro Four Stroke

Hey Guys,
    Just a quick question if you don't mind. I'm getting ready to order a 2015 Phoenix 920 and I'm very interested in the posibility of a Verado. I don't know squat about them so I figured I would come over here and ask the question.
    What are the differences between the Verado and the Pro Four Stroke? I'm really liking the looks of the Verado vs. the Pro Four Stroke, but don't know if there are any performance differences between the two. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

2015 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP
    250 VERADO PRO - 112 ULTREX - DUAL 12' TALONS
    TRIPLE HDS12s & GARMIN 942XS/LIVESCOPE
    ATLAS HYDRAULIC PLATE LITHIONICS BATTERIES

2. Member
    This is a good question, I was wondering the same thing.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely a good question!

The Verado Pro (250) offers the 4.8" gearcase, which is more streamlined for speed/performance on lighter hulls.

Additionally, it's tuning and calibration are designed to be more in line with the other ProXS performance engines. It's KNOCK system is designed so as to provide excellent performance on REGULAR (87 octane) pump gas, and SUPERIOR (improved) performance on High-Test (91+ octane) fuel.

THIS engine series compensates (automatically) for changes in fuel octane, providing the best available performance based on the knock resistance of the fuel being utilized.

Definitely an EXCELLENT choice for Bass applications.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ke-200-300-hp/

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Don!
    So ultimately, the Verado (non-pro model) is optimized for salt water applications, hence, the larger gearcase and unlike the Verado Pro, is not tuned for more torque/top-end speed. The Verado Pro would be the faster of the two for my application, correct?
    Any other differences worth mentioning?

2015 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That pretty well covers it... other than the fact that the Verado Pro (IMHO) has slightly sharper looking graphics.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you very much!

2015 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP

My 250 Pro is equal to the Pro XS guys. In some cases a little stronger. I run mine on 92 octane and its very strong. I have ran on 87 and its still stout but its just a little less snap in power. Still gets there but seems longer to get full peak power. Most that rode in the boat during 87 octane was saying wow what a strong engine. I drove a standard Verado package setup and you can tell the difference. Not bad but the Verado Pro is awesome
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

8. Member
    That's great to hear...I'm really thinking hard about this...VERY TEMPTING

2015 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I can tell you from my own experience... once you've run a Verado, it's really hard to go back.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I can tell you from my own experience... once you've run a Verado, it's really hard to go back.
    Well, I think I've made my decision...��

2015 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP

11. Member
    I'm looking at a 2013 Ranger 520c with the 250 Verado on it. My concerns were the extra weight of the Verados along with adding a couple of power poles and how the transom would handle the abuse that a bass boat takes.

No worry. The boats good also the Verado has a great mid section
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWMEDLER View Post
    I'm looking at a 2013 Ranger 520c with the 250 Verado on it. My concerns were the extra weight of the Verados along with adding a couple of power poles and how the transom would handle the abuse that a bass boat takes.
    Should be a very nice rig!

The only concern I would have would be "how" the power poles are mounted.

You will need to utilize brackets that mount to the SIDES of the jackplate, or directly to the transom. Do NOT sandwich any brackets between the engine and plate (or plate and transom).

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWMEDLER View Post
    I'm running a 521c with a Verado 250 Pro. Two 12ft. Talons. The deal about the weight difference is a non issue. Remember you're eliminating the weight of hydraulic steering and oil tank-difference is about 65lbs. The gain in torque more than offsets weight gain. I'm running a hydraulic plate. Any questions feel free to pm me.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jchips View Post
    I'm running a 521c with a Verado 250 Pro. Two 12ft. Talons. The deal about the weight difference is a non issue. Remember you're eliminating the weight of hydraulic steering and oil tank-difference is about 65lbs. The gain in torque more than offsets weight gain. I'm running a hydraulic plate. Any questions feel free to pm me.
    Well this is good to hear. I will be running a 12" Atlas JP, lithium batteries and dual 12' Talons as well. I was a "little bit" concerned about hole shot.

2015 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP

16. Banned
    X2

17. Member
    I think you can only run a 6” Atlas with the Verado. It already has offset built into it. At least that’s what my dealer told me. Maybe the Verado Pro is different. I was looking at the standard model. Lots of power in that motor. We test drove a 921 phx today and the weather was less than fun. About 40 degrees and 30mph wind. With little trim of Motor lift, it hit 65 very fast with 3 of us in the boat. Unfortunately we were on a very small lake so we had to shut off quick. I did trim it up some, but never played with the motor height. I’ll be getting a Verado on my phx. Steering is amazing and it’s hard to tell when it’s idling.

18. Member
    Old post, but I agree. Had a 2005 Verado back in the day. 4 bass boats later, I am back with a Verado Pro.