In a pickle with frozen caliper piston

Got back from a short trip Thurs to make sure everything worked before leaving on vacation Monday morning(350 miles). Left side wheel and hub was pretty hot for just a 5 mile drive. Jacked up the trailer this morning and the left caliper was locked up. I pulled it hoping it was just the slide pins but virtually no detectable movement from the piston, I opened the bleeder valve and still the piston would not move with a c clamp.
    No way in hell to get a new caliper on memorial day weekend, what are my options? can i pull the pads and run on one brake and try to get a replacement sent to the resort I am at next week or just disconnect the whole system. (not sure how to do that) 2006 basscat trailer surge brakes and looks like the standard UFP calipers. I will post on the Cat page also to cover my bases. TIA
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’d probably try pulling the pads as you mentioned.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I would pull the pads bolt the caliper back in place. I think I would block the actuator so the brakes don’t work at all.

If you can block out the acutator then your good to go!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    If you can block the actuator, do so. If not I would pull the caliper, zip tie a small block of wood between the pads incase the piston frees up. Zip tie the caliper to the trailer somewhere.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

6. mikesxpress
    Do NOT pinch/crimp the brake line!! That will destroy the integrity of the hose.

7. Member
    One of the reasons I have one of these stuck to my trailer.

https://www.bakesonline.com/back-up-...k-out-key.html

8. mikesxpress
    I just use a free speaker magnet.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Do NOT pinch/crimp the brake line!! That will destroy the integrity of the hose.
    No kidding, what a horrible recommendation.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    If you need to get home and have to replace the caliper, just replace the hose also as it may be why the caliper will not release in the first place. But each to his own, I forgot where I was.
    That’s not the OP’s situation. Sorry about the memory.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Thats a fact.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    One of the reasons I have one of these stuck to my trailer.

https://www.bakesonline.com/back-up-...k-out-key.html
    I keep one of those with me all the time.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    Since it seems it isn't going away,

What it was in reference to was the statement he made

No way in hell to get a new caliper on memorial day weekend, what are my options? can i pull the pads and run on one brake and try to get a replacement sent to the resort I am at next week

In that respect is why I said what I did, pull the pads, pinch the hose and go, Have someone send a replacement caliper AND HOSE to replace at the Resort.

Now, you can gripe about that also. I guess no one can read or understand what they read anymore, 5 words and then reply with some smart ass comment
    I can read and comprehend just fine, appears others did as well. OP has a caliper issue, I suggested a temp fix to get him on the road while not destroying any other part of the breaking system. Others agreed to not pinch the brake line as it is unnecessary. You got butthurt that others disagreed with your unnecessary method. Whoopydo. Smh.

14. Member
    Here is what I just had to do on my trailer because I could not get new brake pads. I used a large radiator hose clamp. Went around the caliper and piston clamped it tight so piston can’t come out. Reinstalled the caliper in it’s original location with no pads in it. Blocked the actuator and drove it. I don’t like it but it got me by for a couple trips.