Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I have 15'' load range D Carlisle ST tires and they clearly say 65psi on the sidewall. I have no problem airing them to that pressure, they're made for it.
    +1

2. Member
    Goodyear Endurance Tires at 65pds its a d grade tire.

3. Member
    This has been a good read today. My 2014 tandem Boatmate came with Trail Master ST20575R14's with a C load rating. I had a tire go flat yesterday, took it off and to a tire shop, they showed me where it was starting to separate. Also the out edge of that tire and the one in front of it shows being into the wear rib. I run the tires between 45 to 50 psi and have probably less than 10,000 miles. I have a couple of questions as tires can confusing. Looks like a D rated tire is the way to go based on the speed they are rated for. Looking into the Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle trailer tires unless there is a better choice, is there a reason why car or LT tires shouldn't be used? Also what would make them ware out that fast, the other side tires don't look as bad but if I need two, I will replace all and keep the original new spare. What about changing tire size with a shorter side wall while maintaining the same or close diameter, are there any pros or cons to this thought.

4. Member

Old Champion Mean 15

I bought an older Champion boat and trailer 9/3/18. It has been sitting for 7 yrs and was completely stripped of everything. I mean everthing except the steering wheel and cable. My question is are there any other locations that could have a serial number located on it or in it as its gone. I bought it for a fixer upper. I put new hubs and bearings on it and it pulled straight and really well. Bought it for a $100 and trailer was worth that at least. Also, the nose ring for the strap is gone also. How hard would it be to put a new one on it?
    Thanks.

5. Member
    I have 15'' load range D Carlisle ST tires and they clearly say 65psi on the sidewall. I have no problem airing them to that pressure, they're made for it.
    Why? If you have tandem trailer Does your boat weigh 8000Lbs. Even at single axle does your boat and trailer weigh 4000lbs.

6. Member
    Under inflated tires wear the outsides of the tread, Over inflated tire wear the center. Your not just supposed to run the MAX the tire can handle unless your load is requiring it. Most bass boats fully loaded with the trailer maybe 3500lbs. Each tire on tandem axle only needs to carry 875lbs.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Under inflated tires wear the outsides of the tread, Over inflated tire wear the center. Your not just supposed to run the MAX the tire can handle unless your load is requiring it. Most bass boats fully loaded with the trailer maybe 3500lbs. Each tire on tandem axle only needs to carry 875lbs.
    Manufacturers recommend the be run at max pressure because you lose both load capacity and speed rating with under inflation. I’ve never seen a case of a radial tire wearing in the center from running at max pressure on a trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Why? If you have tandem trailer Does your boat weigh 8000Lbs. Even at single axle does your boat and trailer weigh 4000lbs.
    Because under inflation and too high speed are the kiss of death for trailer tires. I run about 90 miles at interstate highway speed, 70 to 75 mph each way. No way am I going to do that with under inflated tires.

Trailer tires should be run at max pressure, anyone that knows what their talking about will tell you that.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    Because under inflation and too high speed are the kiss of death for trailer tires. I run about 90 miles at interstate highway speed, 70 to 75 mph each way. No way am I going to do that with under inflated tires.

Trailer tires should be run at max pressure, anyone that knows what their talking about will tell you that.
    I run just as fast and just as far as you. Never said anything about running under inflated. Just about the effects. This thread posted what loads the tire could carry per PSI. I do not run MAX air pressure on my tandem axle trailer. Nor do I run what I consider to be under inflated. Have had this rig since '98 and have towed for 34 years. I have had one flat

10. Member
    Under inflated tires generate excess heat. Heat is a tire killer. Just ask any truck driver.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    Under inflated tires generate excess heat. Heat is a tire killer. Just ask any truck driver.
    If you are going to run hard and long, shave 5 psi from max, since the heat from the long run will max it out for you without over inflating. I run I-81 solid 2 hrs at 71 mph from I-90 to A Bay several time per year. We always run our dump trucks 10 shy of the max 120-128 psi, but keep all tire within 5 psi or less from each other on each axle, especially on the duals. We have a Rogers 60 tons tri axles lowboy that is tagged for 125000# that is a real PITA on tires ($250.00 each).
    Just finished redoing brakes on both axles cause I noticed some grease coming out of 2 hub same side. Picked up some fishing line and killed my seals, so I did all 4 everything.
    Last edited by digthemup; 10-18-2020 at 05:39 PM.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    If you are going to run hard and long, shave 5 psi from max, since the heat from the long run will max it out for you without over inflating. I run I-81 solid 2 hrs at 71 mph from I-90 to A Bay several time per year. We always run our dump trucks 10 shy of the max 120-128 psi, but keep all tire within 5 psi or less from each other on each axle, especially on the duals.

We have a Rogers 60 tons tri axles lowboy that is tagged for 125000# that is a real PITA on tires ($250.00 each).
    The max pressure stamped on the tire takes heating into account. You run them at the max regardless of distance because they get hotter at lower pressure.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The max pressure stamped on the tire takes heating into account. You run them at the max regardless of distance because they get hotter at lower pressure.
    I think you mean that they get hotter if run underinflated, like if you are running them at 30 but need 50 PSI, that I will totally agree.

14. Member
    I ask about trailer tire pressure on another thread just a second ago ..did not see this one.My trailer says 50psi tandem axle trailer..hhhmm interesting
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by h2chuck View Post
    I ask about trailer tire pressure on another thread just a second ago ..did not see this one.My trailer says 50psi tandem axle trailer..hhhmm interesting
    My tandem trailer says 50 PSI and its written on the trailer frame. I go by that not what is marked on the tires.

16. Member
    This exactly. Tire PSI should be based off load. Yes under inflated is no good and neither is over inflated. Just because a tire says a max PSI doesn’t mean you should be running that. For example I run Nitto Ridge grapplers on my 2020 Ram 2500. They are 17/37-12.50 with a max PSI of 50 (3,525lbs). If I ran them at 50psi that gives me 7,050lbs of load capacity. There is no reason to run that high psi with the truck unloaded. That’s why I run 30psi in the rear unloaded. If so just the center of the tire would be making contact with the road. You can chalk test your tires to see if your tire has even contact with the ground. I also do not run my boat trailer tires at max. But hey you do you.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRCraft View Post
    This exactly. Tire PSI should be based off load. Yes under inflated is no good and neither is over inflated. Just because a tire says a max PSI doesn’t mean you should be running that. For example I run Nitto Ridge grapplers on my 2020 Ram 2500. They are 17/37-12.50 with a max PSI of 50 (3,525lbs). If I ran them at 50psi that gives me 7,050lbs of load capacity. There is no reason to run that high psi with the truck unloaded. That’s why I run 30psi in the rear unloaded. If so just the center of the tire would be making contact with the road. You can chalk test your tires to see if your tire has even contact with the ground. I also do not run my boat trailer tires at max. But hey you do you.
    I check my tires on 6 different trailers with a tread depth gauge and have never seen even a hundredth of an inch different wear inside to out running them at max pressure. It just doesn’t happen.
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Well if that works for you by all means proceed. Good read. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...res.html%3famp

Quote Originally Posted by RTRCraft View Post
    Well if that works for you by all means proceed. Good read. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...res.html%3famp
    That article is talking about passenger car tires...we’re talking about trailer tires. Different mission.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-88016.html

Special trailer tires should be inflated to their maximum air pressure. The value for the maximum air pressure should be listed along with the value for the maximum load on the tire's sidewall. These values will usually designate the maximum load at a maximum psi. For example, if the tire is rated at 1,610 lbs maximum at 65 psi, the tire can carry 1,610 lbs of weight if the air pressure is at the maximum of 65 psi. At the maximum air pressure, the tires will perform and wear best, and get the best gas mileage.

If a trailer tire is inflated to a lower air pressure than the maximum, the amount of weight that the tire can carry will be reduced. If a heavier load is put on the trailer tire than what is recommended for that air pressure, the sidewall of the tire could heat up and cause the tire to fail.

You should always inflate your tires when they are cold.

This is what I always do. No issues so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast