Thread: Gel Coat Repair

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    pores in gelcoat allows water in. Where it sits on boards is more common spot as it usually stays wet longer but it can happen in other spots especially on boats that stay in water for longer periods of time. Once water gets in it begins to cause the blister they will grown until the pop leaving small craters like pimples almost. Became more of an issue after epa mandates in 2003 which went into affect in 2004 changing from vinyl ester resins to polyester resins

progress looks GREAT! One question...how the hell did you get the boat off the trailer? Maybe I missed it. I need to do trailer repair and getting the boat off the trailer would be PERFECT!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Do you have any pictures of what it looked like when you had it sanded down to clean glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of what it looked like when you had it sanded down to clean glass?
    Sorry but I didn't take any at the bare glass just after the coat of vinyl ester.
    05 Z21 Ranger Mercury 250 Verado
    13 Z520C Ranger Mercury 250 Pro Verado

I think I skipped the trailer step. I used a floor jack under the transom with a 6x6 notched for the transducer. jacked the rear of the boat up about 3 to 4 inches off the trailer and stacked 6x6 bolcks to support it. Used a cherry picker to lift the front of the boat from the side and pulled the trailer as far forward as I could. Used the floor jack with a 6x6 and two small pieces of 2x4 with carpet to support the boat so I could move the cherry picker. The floor jack was placed as close to the front of the boat as possible. Then pulled the trailer out of the way and used the contraption I built to support the bow. I will post the pics and if it does not make any since just ask.
    007.jpg009.jpg011.jpg010.jpg

More blocking finished and getting ready to put two more coats of gel on and block some low spots out and be ready for final coats. I hope!!
    001.jpg002.jpg
    This spot was a small spot that I filled and blocked and should be great after 2000 grit and buffing. The second pic is the same spot just to the left of the rough area.

7. Member
    You da' man! Thanks for sharing this with us. I don't have hull blisters, but I do have some other smaller defects in the hull of my boat that I've been thinking of tackling. Keep up the good work, and keep those pictures coming.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

Don't have a clue how it will turn out but not scared to try. Going to block some more.

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    You da' man! Thanks for sharing this with us. I don't have hull blisters, but I do have some other smaller defects in the hull of my boat that I've been thinking of tackling. Keep up the good work, and keep those pictures coming.
    If it is a solid color it is simple just make sure that you grind or sand back into good gel coat. I started to fix a small spot and turned into a 3x2 spot. Had a crack running in the gel.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    progress looks GREAT! One question...how the hell did you get the boat off the trailer? Maybe I missed it. I need to do trailer repair and getting the boat off the trailer would be PERFECT!
    Here is a link to a place has some good stuff. Yall be carefull I have seen people using make shift stuff have some bad accidents

Heavy Duty Boat Lift Trailer Removal System

A few updates tonight. Put gel in some low spots last night and started blocking them down and getting closer. I have decided to spray the last few coats for a better finish as suggested by DOUGMCGEEFTD.

003.jpg002.jpg001.jpg

Looks great. I am going to try and fix mine soon. Thanks for sharing the information.

13. Member
    TTodd,

How have you approached blocking? I am in a very similar stage in my restoration and the sanding is taking forever, even with 80 grit as DOUGMCGEEFTD suggested.

Are you planning on leaving the carpet on your bunks when you put it back on the trailer or are you going to try a synthetic bunk material? I am thinking of trying something other than carpet to try and prevent more blisters on mine in the future.

Thinking about ordering the synthetic bunks but I have not done it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    TTodd,

How have you approached blocking? I am in a very similar stage in my restoration and the sanding is taking forever, even with 80 grit as DOUGMCGEEFTD suggested.
    I blocked with 80 grit and now that it is close I have started using 220 and it does not matter what grit it is slow and do I mean slow. If you do it every day I guess it wouldn't take as long.

When you are block sanding it are you sanding it wet or dry?

Dry with 80 but now have started wet with 220 because it is getting close and the wet sanding makes it slick and I can feel better.

Look great! I just hate it for you that you have to be the one on your back reaching up all evening.

20. Member
    Thanks for the info. That is what I am doing as well, and it does take forever. I'll just keep at it like you have. :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast