2014 150 4-stroke prop play with flo torq 4 hub?

I have a 2014 150 4 stroke with a tempest prop and flo torq 4 hub kit and the prop moves in out and side to side more than I'm comfortable with I was told its normal. I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. Sorry I do not have serial # my boat is in storage for 2 more months.
    Last edited by born 2 fish; 02-10-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Don should be by shortly to advise you on how much play is acceptable. If you don't feel it is right disassemble it and make sure all the componets are seated correctly. It is possible for the delrin sleeve or the aft adapter shaft sleeve to not be installed properly also check your thrust washer to make sure it is installed correctly. There is always some in-out play the side to side play would concern me.
    Last edited by bassbama; 02-10-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

3. Member
    The hub was installed by mec dealer when I complained they put another one in same thing than they said the brass insert was a little to long and they filed it down. Now the prop feels good now but I don't know if the insert should have been filed? I run the boat a few times no prop rattle & just a little shift clunk I just don't want to harm my new motor.

4. Member
    Sorry should have posted in 4- stroke section.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely an excellent topic for the 4-stroke forum.

DO NOT modify or grind on the parts of the hub kit!
    Flo-Torq IV hub kits are DESIGNED to have play in them- that is what helps to absorb the prop/clutch rattle at lower RPM's, delivering you a quieter, more enjoyable boating experience.

If your dealer made ANY modifications to the hub kit- ask them to replace it with a new, UN-MODIFIED one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Flo-Torq IV hub kits are DESIGNED to have play in them- that is what helps to absorb the prop/clutch rattle at lower RPM's, delivering you a quieter, more enjoyable boating experience.

If your dealer made ANY modifications to the hub kit- ask them to replace it with a new, UN-MODIFIED one.
    thank you for your help I went to where my boat is stored and pulled my prop they did not modify the hub they put a flo torq 2 kit in and just took the 4 out now I wonder why the sales guy told me they modified the ft 4. I guess I will leave it how it is.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Flo-Torq II will work... just is not the RECOMMENDED hub kit for this application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Flo-Torq II will work... just is not the RECOMMENDED hub kit for this application.
    Thanks again I orderd a flo torq 4 hub kit last night.

I know this is an old post, but found it during searching. Don, I think the bold info should be in the FAQ's sticky for the Flo-Torq IV hub on the 4 stroke. I thought mine had excessive play after torquing it properly, but appears to be just fine!

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate