Mercury Verado Pro 250 w/ new DTS (panel mount shifter) and DTS hotfoot

The motor is a 2015 Verado Pro Four 250. I have the DTS hotfoot and the DTS side panel shifter. The Smartcraft guage and Verado Tilt steering.

The side panel shifter has on the control arm: the gear lever and on shaft of shifter (stop and start Button) allows a push button start as long as the ignition key or circuit is on and Throttle only Button (for warm ups without being in gear). The lever works normal and you mash or pull in the detent to move from Neutral to Forward or Reverse as normal.
    ALSO has the "HAND" Button which is on the flat face of the panel toward the rear of the panel mount. (this takes hotfoot out of play and allows for normal gear/throttle movements of the control lever) IE: ol school.
    When engine is running you mash the "HAND" button and a Chrip will sound and the Button will light up RED.
    Then its all ol school----Hand throttle and gear control

Return to Neutral and mash the "HAND" button again and the HOTFOOT becomes primary use (chirps and red light on button goes out). Gear lever ingages gear ONLY and the HOTFOOT gives throttle.

The HOTFOOT is primary unless you engage the "HAND" button.

I also used the TELEFLEX twin "turn signal" style levers for jack plate and trim control.
    YOU MUST ORDER Aux Trim Harness part# 895388T02 from MERCURY

wheel trim from Teleflex will work great just have to take and cut the center circle out approx 1/4 inch to fit over the tilt steering shaft piece. You will need to get 3 bolts and 3 flat washers 1/8th inch longer same size, and drill the TELEFLEX mounting bracket to match the 3 holes in the Verado Tilt HELM or "non tilt" Helm. I also ran my wiring under dash using the dash plate screws, wire loops and it looks clean. I have no holes drilled, just runs clean under dash.Wire tye up clean. NO HOLES DRILLED in glass.

see PICS:
    Last edited by 2500; 08-04-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pinning thread to "Commonly Asked- Commonly Used" under the title: Verado Blinker-Trim

Thanks for sharing!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

thanks, It really is neat and with the Button and neutral requirment to switch from HAND to HotFoot is also safe. JUST the no cable and fly by wire the throttle is very quick
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to also post a picture of your throttle control (to better show the features you've described for others reading this in the future).

Keep in mind, switching from hotfoot to throttle control is MANUALLY accomplished, by user selection only. This feature may not be available with all (previous) production controls, or command-module applications.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

that is correct, this is the new PANEL control and if you order the Hotfoot DTS model it has the option for the kit to have "HAND" button in panel. see pics for panel.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    VERY slick, Jeff. That is (honestly) the first of that style control I've seen... great that the MANUAL (button selection) option to choose throttle input is available now.

Its nice. Loading boat or idling thru stump flat. Long runs kinda like cruise control. But it secondary. Hotfoot is primary unless you select Hand button
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

8. Member
    Was your rigging done at Ranger or by your dealer? My engine(Verado 250 Pro) ships to the plant next week and I want to make sure I get the same setup. They're claiming they have everything to do the job. Do you have a part number on that shift panel? I'm shipping a digital hotfoot-that might require the new shift panel. Appreciate you imput.

Hotfoot should have the Hand switch in kit. Its the same panel but has a plate that has the hole / mount for hand switch in it. I like it a lot. Just remember the fly by wire is so much faster to respond to movement of shifter/ throttle. So go out in lake and get use to it. You move it and the engine go to the setting. Not bad just takes a little feel to get use to it. I think you will like it

Ranger mounted engine and controls. I had dealer connect all the system and set up thru laptop
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

10. Member
    Thanks for the info. I,m going to pick the boat up at the plant and hopefully the system will be set up. If not, the Merc service center here on the lake(Toledo Bend) has experience with Verados; the river authority runs them. Haven't seen a Verado pro on T Bend or Rayburn so this rig is going to turn some heads. A few guys ran them when they first came out (2006?) and they just weren't tuned for bass boats. I haven't had one iota of trouble out of the ProXS's (8) I've ran,but I've read nothing but good things about the Verado(your posts have been especially helpful). I've got to make this boat run so I can mix it up with these Skeeter guys around here.

11. Member
    You right-hand trottle kit comes with hotfoot. What are you doing for a transom saver? Is one even necessary?

I'm using the built in engine tilt support. It has 2 settings. Mid engine height like normal towing on a motor support. And the all they way up engine horizontal. The mid setting is engine about 40 degrees tilted.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jchips View Post
    What are you doing for a transom saver? Is one even necessary?
    Not really... there's already a triangulated-type support build into the 6-cylinder Verado Models (that works well, with two different potential positions).

VERY different midsection design from the 2-stroke models (Advanced Mid Section).