?'s on DTS port side hand throttle

Is there such a thing? New boat is port side steering and really thinking I want to go either one of the new bass 4 strokes we should see on Thursday or a maybe a 400R if the rumors are correct. With the previously planned 300xs we could just use a 'universal' billet hand throttle along with a hot foot and it didn't matter which side it was mounted. But on these fly by wire enginesit seems as though the hand throttle is a very important and integral part of the setup. Does Merc have a port side option for these (I know it's rare for a boat to be port side steering) or can you run it with a billet hand shift and DTS hot foot??

Thanks,

Nate

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good question, Nate!

While it is possible to configure a control "backwards"... most of the standard (DTS) single-engine controls were designed for Starboard Mounting, so access to various buttons, etc. will seem somewhat "cumbersome".

For a port-side helm, I would recommend a Sportfish Control, OR a Zero-Effort Control (very similar to the billet control you're referring to).

A DTS Hotfoot can also be utilized/configured into the system.

The control MUST be a DTS control (no manual/cable shift option with Verado Engines).

There is a rigging configurator available to OEM's and Dealers that will help with proper configuration of the extensive rigging materials... and if further assistance is required, your Dealer has access to Technical Support as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Very good Don, thanks! Real quick when you say it can be mounted backwards, (I would be ok with the asthetics of that) would/can it be configured so that when you push forward on the hand lever, the engine is in forward? Or when mounting backwards does that mean the function of the control would also be backwards from what we are traditionally used to

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It could/can be configured backwards (so that the handle function correlates to boat direction).

As stated earlier... I would definitely recommend one of the STATED control types, as access to the release on handle, or various other buttons on the handle/control would be cumbersome when installed on Port side of vessel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yes you are correct those levers would be better/safe in placement of the detent. I couldn't find a single engine control of the Zero Effort and I fear we don't have the room for that big 'box'.

So in theory would the hand control from a DTS TowSport inboard work too? Guess the big question there is can it be configured to work with a DTS hotfoot? We will be running a blinker style trim switch so no need for a trim switch on the hand control, what I like is, with the universal placement of the neutral detent button/lever it could be flush mounted. I know I'm venturing into an unknown here so trying to help eliminate any hiccups during rigging after the manufactuer finished the hull. I really appreciate your time and any info. I just can't find too much info on the TowSport hand control online.

Since they can be indexed backwards when intialized by a dealer, what about and the overall sweep of the lever in forwards and reverse? Do they have the same sweep in forward and reverse? I know our old basic side mount had a shorter sweep in reverse than forward so even if it it was DTS and was be configured for port side the sweep would be really short in forward. This wouldn't be a make or break issue however if I could get a TowSport flush mount to work backwards and have a hotfoot it would be nice to have the hand lever only function available too...

Again thanks, for helping me be different than the herd lol
    Last edited by npark; 02-10-2015 at 08:33 AM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As I recall, the "sweep" of the control is identical in both directions.

It should be no problem to utilize this ERC (AND a hotfoot)- the DTS configuration would simply set the HOTFOOT to handle THROTTLE inputs (and the ERC to handle SHIFT).

As for the blinker style trim... that's quite simple (and covered here):

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-4-s...s-hotfoot.html

You can also look at the control shown in those photos. Viewing the handle (and button release) would help you to picture the awkwardness of mounting that control on a PORT side helm application.

I'll be talking with one of the PAE's in the near future... will also ask him if he has any other (suitable) suggestions to consider, as I've found they're often great at thinking inside, outside, and all sides of the "box".

7. Member
    Thanks for the all info Don. You are correct, normal outboard handle would be very awkward and quite possibly down right dangerousness. Leaning towards the TowSport hand throttle right now, espeically if we could integrate a "hand throttle only" button into the helm. If not I found that Livorsi makes a DTS shifter that is similar to the Zero Effort but you can get it without a throttle lever so it's only about 2" wide.