Thread: Saturday

Saturday

I am thinking about leaving tydings and putzing along the upper end to find a route to the north east river. Are there any obsticals I should be aware of and is it free of ice? While there of course i'll fish. Most likely a jerk bait but has anyone had any luck with a flutter spoon along the deeper channels?

There is Ice in the Northeast River as of yesterday. I dont know how much. I saw some pics sent by email.

3. Member
    Lots of ice!

If I wasn't lost, I'd surely know where I was going!

There is one big obstacle you should be aware of and that is the Susquehanna flat. There is an unmarked channel that will get you to the other side, but you should be very careful if you haven't done it before.
    Someone else will come along soon and be able to give you some better info
    2018 zx 190
    150 v-max sho

5. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Be careful. You do not want to end up in the cold water my friend....tread lightly.

My advise - if you want to fish the Northeast - this time of year launch there if you don't know the route.

OR

Use your electronics but be aware that anything could be in your path from the V.A. shoreline all the way to Carpenters point and around Carpenters all the way until you pass Charlestown Marina.
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

Definitely launch at Anchor if you don't know the routes

7. Member
    Thanks all. I saw on another forum a route up there that was planned for a cruise. I want to get out before it gets warm if I'm going to idle around, not waste a day of fishing. I get to work tomorrow instead. When I do get up there I will take very slow. What is the bottom like? Muck, sand, rock?

8. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    The bottom is typical of a tidal estuary/river system. Sand base but silted in lots of areas. There is plenty of sand bars in and around the flats that can snag you...on your way to Northeast from the Susquhanna there is a couple of sandbars that can grab you especially as you pass through the Stump point area and the mouth of Furnace....pay attention to not stray out onto that bar. There are mud flats also that can beach your boat if you stray from the channel in the wrong place such as going out the back channel and not knowing the very beginning leaving the ramp. There are several rock piles and rock jetty's that are scattered around the rim of the flats that will mess up you day if you hit them.....most are pretty tight to the shoreline, but not all of them. And then lastly, there the chance of wood or a tree in your path just about anywhere this time of the year as ice dislodges and moves things around and then the tide grabs them and carries them off to lord knows where. So, just be real careful is all.
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

9. Member
    I figured there was lots of potential for logs. The rock piles off shore scare me. They both do honestly. Do you guys use that "channel" to get from Tydings to the north east river? The general area looks interesting enough to learn the area but it looks pretty shallow around Carpenter's point.

Are there maps that show the rock piles?

Thanks for the help.

There isn't much of a channel going around Carpenter's point into the NE. Just swing out a tad from the point and you should be fine. Whenever running up there though keep an eye out for logs. They are always where you don't expect them to be. A few years ago there was a monster of a tree off of Carpenters point but since has either washed away or is now under the surface.

Andrew

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 191 champ View Post
    I figured there was lots of potential for logs. The rock piles off shore scare me. They both do honestly. Do you guys use that "channel" to get from Tydings to the north east river? The general area looks interesting enough to learn the area but it looks pretty shallow around Carpenter's point.

Are there maps that show the rock piles?
    Thanks for the help.
    And that was his last post. I guess he made it but being a newbie to the area he should launch from Northeast not Tydings this time of year and weather.

12. Member
    I ended up working both that Saturday and Sunday. It's been too cold or I've been busy with other things since.