Thread: It's Coming!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btsmbass View Post
    Mercury has struggled with the salty market. Today they just blew the doors off of Yamaha. To make 50 more hp than their V8 at 100lbs less weight with a better vibration absorption system, axius, and power assist they really hit a homerun.

I have a verado on my bassboat. I am very impressed with it. Much like a CTS-v vs Corvette comparison would be the ProXS vs Verado. I may not be the fastest, but I'm quicker than some and very quiet and comfortable.
    Good points. We also have to remember that (especially with the Verado Pro Models... hint hint, there may possibly be more to come)- POWER LOSS that occurs in WARMER/HUMID weather (or at higher elevations) is DRASTICALLY reduced.

A boat with a ProXS or XS engine model may have an edge in the cooler (more dense air) months.... but move those two boats to 2500+ ft elevation, or run them in 90+ degree weather, and the picture changes DRASTICALLY.

We not only have a number of customers running Verados on their bassboats- we're even starting to see customers with earlier (2005-2006) engines that are REPOWERING with Verado Pro Models (to take advantage of the performance benefits and fuel savings).

Definitely have to agree... as much as I'd like to see a 250 Pro-BASS 4-stroke engine (specifically targeted to the bass market)- the Saltwater guys were certainly due for some more options. And options they got... the model list for the 400R is QUITE lengthy!!!

This is not the "last" engine Mercury will ever release, BTW.... LAST year's model releases (which WERE targeting the Bass Market, BTW) came in mid-summer. And R&D definitely continues- that platform started out BIG (in displacement terms), so there's certainly room for expansion.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I was a little let down yesterday but after thinking about it, it makes more sense. Quite an engine really. 400 hp out of a 2.6! The salt water market is huge and these guys seem to love 4 strokes. They put 2, 3, 4 even 5 of them on their boats. We were on a cruise in the Caribbean recently and thats all you saw was 4 strokes and multiples were everywhere. They must sell a ton of Verados for salt water use and that 400 will be popular for sure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345