Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Hydro-Air Modification for older Champs

**Post Updated** Also, in post #54**

Well, I certainly cannot take credit for this... with much thanks I was forwarded instructions from Lea that Duane Harper had helped her with and the install was pretty easy to do... Took the boat out after this upgrade (along with a new 750 gph pump) & man do you get some Super Hydro-Air with this mod... Regardless of how much water you pump into the wells.... Here's info and pics on my install:

1. Parts From Flow-Rite: https://store.flow-rite.com/products/marine.html
    MA-12-BLA is now MA-12-BLK --> (Qty 1) https://store.flow-rite.com/air-inta...a-012-blk.html
    MD-055 Tube, (3/16) inch ID, Flexible PVC (Qty 2') - https://store.flow-rite.com/tubing-f...nmd-00055.html

2. Parts From Ace Hardware:

3/16" Plastic Barb to Barb Connector - $1.29

3. Photo Install Steps:

flow rite mod1.jpg

Flowrite md2.jpg
    Last edited by Gunnar; 01-24-2021 at 04:00 PM.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (Gunnar)

Excellent install!!! Glad you found the barbed connector. Perfect for the job! Great photos! That's gonna help a lot of folks. Many thanks to Duane for sharing the solution.....

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (Lea)

Does this just add the aeration feature to the other side of the livewell? I would like to up grade my livewell but was looking at the "oxygenator". What is this doing exactly? The last pic confuses me a bit, can someone help?

4. Member

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (DEdwards)

This just allows you to fill your livewell full and still get the hydro air bubbles to the bottom of the livewell. In the past you could only fill to the top of the hydro air tube if you wanted to get oxygen bubbles to the bottom, if you filled above that air intake hole where he glued the barb in all you were doing is recirculating water.

I have run Champs since 97, if you use the livewell system properly you won't lose fish unless they are gut hooked or something weird like that. At least I don't and I have fished tournaments all over the place with water surafce temps over 90 degrees without using ice, salt etc... I DO USE the hydro air system, recirc pumps, and change out the water througout the day. Of course it's not hard to keep my one fish limit alive

5. Banned

<quote">Does this just add the aeration feature to the other side of the livewell? I would like to up grade my livewell but was looking at the "oxygenator". What is this doing exactly? The last pic confuses me a bit, can someone help?

What John said... This just makes sure the Venturi hole does not become covered with water by over filling and/or a rough ride etc... Basically you fill the livewell and then turn on the Hydo-Air timer (or full time) and it draws air from the Venturi and mixes it at the bottom of the well... Air gets mixed in when filling w/lake water too, but this method insures you get air regardless of water over the top of the tube or not and allows you to shut off outside lake water that may be too hot, add rejuvenate, ice etc. and just keep pumping oxygen into the well all day...

Here's a pic from the Flow-Rite site that shows the basic concept:

Flowrite md3.jpg
    Last edited by Gunnar; 01-24-2021 at 04:08 PM.

I have an 05 198, does this apply to my boat? I always fill my livewell to the top and run the hydor air in manual. Am I not getting air to my fish?

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

I ran my 05 like yours for 2.5 years and did not lose a fish, but, yes, if the well is filled over the venturi hole, you move water, but do not add air bubbles. (It is not an "oxygenator"). Newer Champs have the venturi tube installed higher, so this is not an issue...

If I were you, I'd do the modification. Easy to do!!!!!

Nice job thanks for the info

__________________________________________________ __________________
    2007 ChampioN CX183
    E-TEC 150
    LOWRANCE

9. Banned

Quote, originally posted by DEdwards>I have an 05 198, does this apply to my boat? I always fill my livewell to the top and run the hydro air in manual. Am I not getting air to my fish?

One way to check is to fill the well to just below the Venturi tube. Turn off the aerator fill and turn on the Hydro-Air or Recirculate to 100% or full time manual on. You should see small bubbles coming out the bottom of the tube... Of course it's pumping water from one side of the tank to the other at the same time as well... If you have bubbles it's working... But it will not work once the top of the tube gets covered with water...

As Lea said though, this is an easy fix to make sure the Venturi tube always has access to air....
    Last edited by Gunnar; 01-24-2021 at 04:10 PM.

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Totally agree with Gunnar.

The way I (finally ) realized this was an issue, was in a tournament (partner & I won ).... I used the aerator on manual to fill the well. Turned it to off and turned on Hydro switch to Auto...and then realized (2 yrs later ) that I could not hear bubbling. Opened well lid and "got it"... Water level was over the venturi hole. Turns out that the overflow is higher than the venturi tube, so when on aerator, the wells would fill too high...

Until I got the fix installed, the simple solution was to use pump-out to lower the water to below the venturi.

As mentioned earlier, this situation has been resolved in the newer Champs and is easily fixed in the older ones....

ill have to look at mine and see what it looks like and if this is a problem ill be fixing mine too dont think i have ever noticed it yet but i dont pay a lot of attention most of the time thats the backseaters job to keep and eye on the fish

12. Member

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (Luke)

Hmm, I don't think I've ever demo'd a Champion that had Hydro Air and not shown the prospective buyer how it worked. (Of course I've only shown one or two )

Here is a bonus question for you NEW "team guys" what is the Champion Water Management System and how does it differentiate a Champion from another brand on tournament day? No fair calling on Pat or another Champion person fer help, if yer a "Team Representative" you know the answer.

Yet I had to buy my Champion shirt and like Fred don't rate a real "Team Shirt", obviously I've been deleted from the factory insider list, darn near shunned from the Champion board booooohooooo

13. Member

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (JohnM)

Quote Originally Posted by

Here is a bonus question for you NEW "team guys" what is the Champion Water Management System and how does it differentiate a Champion from another brand on tournament day? No fair calling on Pat or another Champion person fer help, if yer a "Team Representative" you know the answer. [img
    http://www.bassboatcentral.com/smileys/stirthepot.gif[/img]

Yet I had to buy my Champion shirt and like Fred don't rate a real "Team Shirt", obviously I've been deleted from the factory insider list, darn near shunned from the Champion board booooohooooo

What you talking about Champion water management system?

Don't feel bad I had to pay for my team shirt too, but my brother whom just bought a 220 bay champ was given his because he was fishing in the redfish cup here in Port Aurthur, TX!!!!!

http://www.bassfury.com/index.html

"The Few, The Proud, The Champion Owners"

14. Member

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (csmetreyeon06)

Yep Chris, Champion water management system. It's one of those little details that Champion dealers, team members, etc... used to show folks when they were doing a Champion demo.

No hard feelings from me on buying my Champion shirts, they never owed me anything. The year I bought my 187 Champion had deemed that hull not eligible for "team deals" from what I understand. I knew it when I bought it.

EVERYTHING I have ever done for Champion or a dealer was out of respect for the brand and the particular dealership I bought from. IMHO those on "Team Champion" should know the boats inside and out so when the question comes up "what else is different about the Champion other than the ride?" you can give an honest answer with facts to back it up. Integrity cannot be bought back.

Now come on one of the new team guys has to know what the water management system is and how that feature could come in handy in a particular tournament situation?

Why does the Champion have those little loops instead of perko locks? What are the benefits of that feature?

How do you access pumps?

What are turning chines, where are they are on the hull and how does one demonstrate and have a potential customer see how they may help them?

Man I could go on, lets here some of what you guys demo on boats other than "ride", and of course answers to the little quiz above for the new "team guys"

15. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar

Here are pics I took of my install:

On my 04 & 05 Champ 198's, I realized that the factory had set the overflow hole on the opposite side of the livewell as the aerator tubes. When the boat was in the water, the boat is bow high causing the water line on a full livewell to be over the top of the venturi hole but below the overflow. I simply made an adjustment so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep Chris, Champion water management system. It's one of those little details that Champion dealers, team members, etc... used to show folks when they were doing a Champion demo.

No hard feelings from me on buying my Champion shirts, they never owed me anything. The year I bought my 187 Champion had deemed that hull not eligible for "team deals" from what I understand. I knew it when I bought it.

EVERYTHING I have ever done for Champion or a dealer was out of respect for the brand and the particular dealership I bought from. IMHO those on "Team Champion" should know the boats inside and out so when the question comes up "what else is different about the Champion other than the ride?" you can give an honest answer with facts to back it up. Integrity cannot be bought back.

Now come on one of the new team guys has to know what the water management system is and how that feature could come in handy in a particular tournament situation?

Why does the Champion have those little loops instead of perko locks? What are the benefits of that feature?

How do you access pumps?

What are turning chines, where are they are on the hull and how does one demonstrate and have a potential customer see how they may help them?

Man I could go on, lets here some of what you guys demo on boats other than "ride", and of course answers to the little quiz above for the new "team guys"

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry John you lost me on the water management system but the others arent to bad as far as what i concider them
    the loops are easier on the bare feet for one vs the perko latches and when the latch is not fastened down right they aent fun to step on or to trip over
    plus the loops make it quicker to get to the back of the boat get the door open and get back up to the front.

the pumps are under the batteries take the batts out take out the metal plate and the piece that is on the front side of the batt compartment and you have access to all of the pumps and plumbing

the turning chines are on the outter sides of the boat making the boat cut through the water easier and alsi dipsplaces the water better during a turn so you dont get the skipping effect that you do in some brands of boats

come on how did i do teach

17. Banned

Quote, originally posted by JohnM quote">what is the Champion Water Management System and how does it differentiate a Champion from another brand on tournament day?

Don't know John except that air dispersed at the bottom of the well will (in most cases) inject more fully the oxygen available in said air and many other brands do not use the Hydro-air tube? Please let us know the answer though if it's not restricted or confidential to Team CampioN members only... Also, I would guess that the fact that ChamP uses separate pumps for Aeration, Hydro & pump-out (option) 3- pumps Vs a single pump or max dual pumps on many other brands would be a positive for the ChamP system?

Fyi, apparently this is the end all of end alls for Live Well Upgrades: http://www.oxyedge-chum.com/Products.htm

At over $500 installed it's too rich for my blood though...
    Last edited by Gunnar; 01-24-2021 at 04:11 PM.

18. Member

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (Luke)

Dang it, you guys are going to make me have to go get my camera make a trip out to the garage and snap a couple pics. Load them on shutterfly and see if I can explain how I (this is only how I do it) it does not mean it is the correct way or how you should explain it

I think once you see a few things I am talking about you'll be able to answer "so what is different about a Champion other than the ride" in your own words. "IASM" is POWERFUL, EnthusIASM "I am sold myself" so when I get some chores done and thee pics taken think of how you could show these features in your OWN words. I bet ride, becomes a distant subject in the demo conversation?

Feel free to brain storm your ideas and what you show prospective buyers when you do a demo on a Champion. Maybe we could use this as a chance to educate more than one new "Team Champion" driver.

BTW stirring the pot does not always have to turn into a negative!

19. Moderator

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (Duane Harper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duane Harper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are pics I took of my install:

On my 04 & 05 Champ 198's, I realized that the factory had set the overflow hole on the opposite side of the livewell as the aerator tubes. When the boat was in the water, the boat is bow high causing the water line on a full livewell to be over the top of the venturi hole but below the overflow. I simply made an adjustment so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Duane, you are the only person I know that could actually fit in a livewell to be able to take those pictures like that.
    Jason Phillips

20. Member

Re: Hydro-Air Upgrade Install (1niceStratos)

You should have seen him drying his socks off after he got em wet taking those pics

Who loves ya pal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast