Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Is there a difference using teflon tape versus using the pipe dope with teflon. I was reading that there are some pipe thread dope's that cannot be used with plastic threads. If someone has a brand with part number, that would be great.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
    Is there a difference using teflon tape versus using the pipe dope with teflon. I was reading that there are some pipe thread dope's that cannot be used with plastic threads. If someone has a brand with part number, that would be great.
    Search function.......Click on this>>>>> Water strainer, teflon tape or thread sealant

3. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
    The 1st page of this post shows the sealant.
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The 1st page of this post shows the sealant.
    ????
    I have looked online and cannot find that exact label, and there is no part number I noticed. Thanks for the response.

Just go to Ace Hardware or any other hardware store and get a tube of pipe thread sealant with PTFE. I use the Ace Hardware branded stuff and the small tube will last a long time if I only use it for the strainer once a year.

It looks like this:

https://www.warrenpipe.com/hardware-...dproduct=11391
    Last edited by Bob G.; 02-06-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Removed trademarked name.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. mikesxpress

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We'll refer to it as "PTFE" rather than the "Trademarked" name.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    [QUOTE=tomloans;9004004]make sure you replace all the inline oil filters. There are 3. One at the base in the front of the motor and 2 inline that are near the pump. These are supposed to be done every 50 or 100 hours I cant remember.

Are you referring to the single inline oil filter? That's the only one I am aware of. The other two inline filters are fuel filters according to the parts website. Are those the other two you're referring to? Because #22 is the only oil filter I see that's part of the system.

Attached Images Attached Images

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Thanks guys for all responses.

An incredible help. I knew I had a problem from the number of times I've had to clean my thermostats. I pulled mine to see how dirty it was, then reinstalled without cleaning, then connected my water hose to the flush out connection. I did this to see how much it would clean. It removed ab out 30 percent when I pulled the filter again. I need to connect it every time. I swear between the compressor filter and thermostats getting trash, Mercury thinks we run these in a bathtub
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. mikesxpress
    If you run in waters with grass the strainer is going to catch it. It's doing it's job.

How were those pork chops?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    How were those pork chops?
    I had the same thought.

They were great with some cornbread and green beans....lol

14. Member
    [QUOTE=mn_bowhunter;9076310]
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    make sure you replace all the inline oil filters. There are 3. One at the base in the front of the motor and 2 inline that are near the pump. These are supposed to be done every 50 or 100 hours I cant remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Are you referring to the single inline oil filter? That's the only one I am aware of. The other two inline filters are fuel filters according to the parts website. Are those the other two you're referring to? Because #22 is the only oil filter I see that's part of the system.

yes those are the three I replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post
    Don,
    Would a good quality nylon clamp like this be acceptable?
    If going this route what size would I use? 1/2" ?

<LINK REMOVED- SEE FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-22-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Announcements
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No- I would not recommend those clamps (they are prone to breaking). Correct clamp is Part# 816311T

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    I’m not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to mechanical things. I can’t tell from the pics. Is the screen on the port side of the block?

18. Member
    Yes.

19. Member
    The one on my 250 was full of debris today. Would have never known without seeing this thread. My dad has a 2003 model 200 Optimax. Will it have the same screen in the same place?

20. Member
    Yes.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast