Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    What is Tube Ref No. 36 that it shows to apply to the SEAL Cowl? I know 34 is special lube 101, 94 is 2-4-C grease, 95 is anti corrosion grease and 120 corrosion guard listed as listed in my user manual.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    What is Tube Ref No. 36 that it shows to apply to the SEAL Cowl? I know 34 is special lube 101, 94 is 2-4-C grease, 95 is anti corrosion grease and 120 corrosion guard listed as listed in my user manual.
    P80 Rubber Lubricant.

3. Member
    I just did this last weekend. I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was. It was easy to perform and my panels on my 250xs came off pretty easy also and the job did not take that long. Thanks to the above posting & info for making this job simple for anyone to perform.

4. Member
    Good to see this. In 13 I owned a 300XS and it was my fist motor in the OPTI lineup. I didn't know about this little tucked away item and $2000 later I was introduced to it. Keep yours clean and once a year very well might not be often enough. depends on what kind of water you run in.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. mikesxpress
    Easy mait. item. Those of us that fish here on the Potomac have to deal with allot of grass and that ends up in the strainer. I do mine a couple times throughout the summer/fall especially when the grass starts to die off.

6. Member
    Agree with Norris Craft 1.

I printed this thread, followed the instructions, and was done in no time. But... what a surprise! The strainer was filled with grass and muck. I hate to think what may have happened if I ignored this any longer.

Thank you Mike, Don and all who provided guidance. Easy job even a simpleton like me can do.

Thanks Mike. Here is a pic of mine a coule years back.

8. Member
    is that fuel hose you got going to vst ,sure looks tight,

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    is that fuel hose you got going to vst ,sure looks tight,
    Looks like it's tied to the Block Pressure Tubing.... not really a good idea.

However.... it sure beats one we had come into the shop! U-shaped drain hose was shoved into the groove of the throttle arm, and TIE-WRAPPED to the throttle arm.

And the complaint: "Throttle sticks".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. mikesxpress
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 03-16-2017 at 05:49 AM.

11. Member
    Big thanks to Mike for solving my, at times, erratic water pressure. I was talking to him about something else and he mentioned how this strainer needs to be cleaned.... I then stumbled upon his old post on cleaning this compressor strainer. It was pretty clogged up and I never even knew about this part. Feel kind of silly because I'm so OCD about maintenance. It was quick and easy to do. A little tip to hold the the bottom cowling screws in place when removing and when putting the bottom cowling back together... use a long pickup tool. You can feed the screw into the hole with the pickup tool until you can get the socket on it and screw the threads in. If you fish the Potomac or any grass ridden place, you should really check on this.

Forgot to add that my motor is a 2014 Mercury 175 Proxs

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by potomacbassin; 08-17-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Engine type added

12. mikesxpress
    David just saved himself a compressor.

13. Member
    This tool will help getting the strainer out without removing the cowling on some models.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. mikesxpress
    That would sure be quicker if my hands and forearms were smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    That would sure be quicker if my hands and forearms were smaller.

I remove the lower cowling since I clean the strainer as part of winterizing and remove the spark plugs. I never attempt to remove the lower plugs with the lower cowling on.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lower cowlings are about the first thing taken off of any V-6 that I'm working on, or servicing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Yep....only takes a few minutes. Don't know why people want to struggle with performing maintenance with them on.

18. Member
    I just had to replace the compressor on my '08 175 proxs. I have had it for 3-4 years. I am pretty sure this maintenance has never been done on it. Could this be the cause if my compressor going out? It is costing me $1300 to replace it and would like to try and prevent it from happening again.

19. Member
    I have found a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a 5/16 short socket on a 12 inch extension and a swivel makes it a one minute / one tool job removing the pans. I recommend removing the pans to change spark plugs on an Opti as well. Makes it a lot easier to get the bottom port side plug on and the strainer can be cleaned at the same time.

20. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    I just had to replace the compressor on my '08 175 proxs. I have had it for 3-4 years. I am pretty sure this maintenance has never been done on it. Could this be the cause if my compressor going out? It is costing me $1300 to replace it and would like to try and prevent it from happening again.
    Lots of reasons for a compressor failure. Cleaning the strainer is a PM that needs to be done more frequently if you fish waters with grass.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast