Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Don,
    i logged into your parts site and could not find the strainer to order a new one and new clamp for it. Could you get me some part numbers.
    Serial # 1B519768 thanks.

2. Member
    Here is the part number for the strainer! 8348084
    Item number 35 on the list!

<Moderator Edit> Must be logged in to view Parts Images.

www.europeanmarine.org/partsaccessories.html -or- www.mercurypartsonline.net

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-30-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buttapollock1010 View Post
    Don,
    i logged into your parts site and could not find the strainer to order a new one and new clamp for it. Could you get me some part numbers.
    Look under the Exhaust Plate section.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Nice write up Mike!

5. Member
    Parts ordered thanks. Rhonda was very nice.
    2009 24' Lake & Bay bay boat
    Yamaha f300
    21 OFX 3 blade croxton 5900@59mph

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by buttapollock1010 View Post
    Don,
    I have pulled and cleaned mine numerous times and never replaced it. Any particular reason you are ordering these parts?

7. Member
    I have to say I am very impressed with the detail and the way you showed the progressive procedure. I can think of nothing better then to show all necessary maintanance procedures needed on a pro xs like this, like oiling the compressor ect. Some things may seem simple to some but not to others. Thanks for the time you spent to do this.

8. mikesxpress
    Your welcome. Most maintenance items on these engines are very easy. This strainer is one allot of folks don't know about and it is a bit of a PIA to get to.

9. Member
    Great job thanks for posting that

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I have pulled and cleaned mine numerous times and never replaced it. Any particular reason you are ordering these parts?
    Incase I brake it I want to have a spare.
    2009 24' Lake & Bay bay boat
    Yamaha f300
    21 OFX 3 blade croxton 5900@59mph

11. mikesxpress
    If the strainer has never been removed it will fight a little but should come loose with some patience. The pipe dope I show in the process has Teflon in it and the strainer will come out very easy after you start using it VS the normal hardware store stuff.

12. Member
    Good write up. I run the Upper Chesapeake and the Potomac. I have seen mine get 50% clogged. There always some scunch in there! I bought the right ties and always remove mine as a part of annual maintenance on my 200 ProXS.

13. mikesxpress

14. Member
    Serial # 0G741039
    1998 225L Optimax

Attempting to clean my strainer, it appears it is not in the same location. As a matter of fact, I can not find it. I have removed the lower cowlings.
    Checking the exhaust plate on Mercury Parts Online does not show it. Any early model owners have an idea?

15. mikesxpress
    My pictorial is from a 2009 Mercury 250HP PRO XS.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getreelgofish View Post
    Serial # 0G741039
    1998 225L Optimax

Attempting to clean my strainer, it appears it is not in the same location. As a matter of fact, I can not find it. I have removed the lower cowlings.
    Checking the exhaust plate on Mercury Parts Online does not show it. Any early model owners have an idea?
    For EARLIER model Optimax 3L engines, such as yours, look at the CYLINDER BLOCK parts section. Strainer is threaded into the TOP of the cylinder block, at the rear of the engine (in the water jacket).

If viewing Parts Catalog on our website ( European Marine- Parts Department ) by your Engine Serial Number, it will be Item #20 in the Cylinder Block section.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Thank you.

18. Member
    Great write-up!! Guess I need to find mine...
    Champion 206
    250XB

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Original post edited to add helpful information, and ensure that all photographs utilized are "used with permission" (no copyright infringements).

Adding this post to the "Commonly Asked- Commonly Used" sticky. MANY THANKS, Mike!

20. Member
    Very Nice post! Thanks

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast