Snowblower keeps throwing auger belt.

I don't post much, but frequently see posts similar to this. Was hoping to get some advice. I have a Craftsman snowblower about 13 years old. It's been very reliable over the years, however towards the end of last year, and now this year, one of the auger belts keeps coming off. If i don't catch it in time it will get shredded. I watched the belts with the protective cover off and noticed that the pulley that is connected to the auger cable would, for lack of a better term, jump. One time the belt came off. I'm at a loss on what to do. I'm some what handy but was hoping for some help from some BBC folks that might have some experience with snowblowers. I guess I'm just trying to put off the inevitable of having to buy a new snowblower but as I said this one has been reliable and I'd like to get a few more years out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    i,m betting u have a bearing shot and when u get something solid from the auger it will jump and there goes the belt

3. Member
    can I get to the bearing myself?

Probably can get to the bearing if that's what it is, but I'd just grab the pulley to see if it's loose and then check the belt for condition. I'll say one thing your waiting to the last minute on this one.

5. Member
    the pulley is loose. as far as last minute its run well this year until the nite before with this last storm. but with this next storm you couldnt be more right. just my luck. thanks for the heip though

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dynitrofishin View Post
    the pulley is loose. as far as last minute its run well this year until the nite before with this last storm. but with this next storm you couldnt be more right. just my luck. thanks for the heip though
    -
    Sounds like the bearing on that pulley wheel is indeed bad. If the pulley wheel is loose. And that is, if it even has a bearing on the wheel to speak of. Either way, you will probably just need the new pulley wheel and it's bolt the wheel rides on. Unlikely even if it has a bearing, they would sell it seperately.
    -
    I just ordered a buncha parts for my snowblower this summer from several different websites. Quite a few sites out there with great diagrams to show you exactly what you need. May want to overnight the parts........of course me thinking months ahead getting mine ready; we haven't seen a single flake this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by dynitrofishin View Post
    I don't post much, but frequently see posts similar to this. Was hoping to get some advice. I have a Craftsman snowblower about 13 years old. It's been very reliable over the years, however towards the end of last year, and now this year, one of the auger belts keeps coming off. If i don't catch it in time it will get shredded. I watched the belts with the protective cover off and noticed that the pulley that is connected to the auger cable would, for lack of a better term, jump. One time the belt came off. I'm at a loss on what to do. I'm some what handy but was hoping for some help from some BBC folks that might have some experience with snowblowers. I guess I'm just trying to put off the inevitable of having to buy a new snowblower but as I said this one has been reliable and I'd like to get a few more years out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a Snowblower Forum. Do a google search and it will get you there. Someone there might be able to help you. It's funny that there is a forum for everything.

Our forecast is 2"-4", the brunt of the storm is going to be south and east of us. Luck for us we are far enough north to miss most of this storm, but was -5*F this morning.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Banned
    Don't know crap about snow blowers and don't want to but if it's belt driven and the belt is coming off either the pulleys are misaligned, one of them is damaged or one of them is loose from either wear or bad bearings.

9. Member
    Sounds like the spring tension at the bottom is broken.
    You also have a tension adjustment at the top which helps keep the belt tight.
    I know, as I had same problem late last spring.
    Sure was nice fixing it when temps were in the 50's as compared to minus 30.

when disposing of the bodies use a WOOD CHIPPER!
    it is too hard on the snowblower!

11. Member
    Check the main shaft bearing. Can get worn out with years of use.

Or, it could be a bend in the main shaft. Use a strait edge to check it's trueness.

Proud owner of a 1971 7 1/2 hp ariens 24 inch two stage. Grew up in northern MI, me and that blower made a lot of $$ when I was young. Still maintain it, the bucket is made out of 1/8 inch steel. You can't buy that blower anymore for under $2K.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningboy View Post
    Check the main shaft bearing. Can get worn out with years of use.

Or, it could be a bend in the main shaft. Use a strait edge to check it's trueness.

Proud owner of a 1971 7 1/2 hp ariens 24 inch two stage. Grew up in northern MI, me and that blower made a lot of $$ when I was young. Still maintain it, the bucket is made out of 1/8 inch steel. You can't buy that blower anymore for under $2K.
    Your right about the 1/8 steel which is the reason I bought one. I don't think mine a 01 model is 1/8.