Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up About to pull trigger on the rt188

I came across this forum and have found it quite informative. I am at best a recreational bass Angler. I work a ton. I have never owned a boat before. I didn't want to break the bank on glass boat.

Looking at a 2015 model, factory rigged with mercury 115 pro xs, 70 lb maxxum, standard Ranger trailer, but w aluminum wheels, manual jack plate, Mark 5x in bow and console, auto bilge, 3 bank charger.

The only thing I would do right now extra is to put a lowrence 7 on the console i think. Eventually add a mk talon.

I live in North Texas, and will fish lakes here most of the time. Am i making a big mistake or am I on the right path?

Would it be crazy to use this boat for the occasional trip south to the bays for reds and trout?

Any help is appreciated by this novice boater!

2. Member
    I think you are on the right track. ALot of 18 footers are used in bay areas chasing reds. My suggestion would be go with the new Mercury 4 stroke motors they are supposed to be compairable with the optimax now. If dealer will allow you to test both that would be great. Also more people run 4 strokes in salt water for some reason. Maybe they handle salt water better. I have a 75 opti on my boat and its been great, but my next one will have the new merc 4 stroke. I get tired of buying two stroke oil and it's sorta expensive. Just my two cents.

3. Member
    I would purchase a glass boat designed for saltwater.

4. Member
    I just bought my rt188 on September last year. First boat i owned, i mainly fish south west fort worth lakes.

The motor is a good choice in my opinion there a lot of owners here with that motor and they will help you a lot. I don't know how much oil the pro xs consumes. But i think they are direct injection same as my rude, yes oil is expensive $50 the gallon, but you know what, i have not filled my oil thank since i bought it on September last year.

which part of north texas? ... you know .. texas is windy. i have never owned a cable trolling motor so i cant tell you a lot. the fac is that the boat will be blown by the wind pretty easy and if you are fishing open water it will be hard to keep your boat on position. i would recommend to stretch that monthly payment some dollars and get your self a Minn Kota Terrova or Ulterra, i don't know how i would fish with out it on windy texas.

check this video out to see how the terrova handles the wind

check this videos on this thread

i think there is one with the terrova handling some waves

http://www.bbcboards.net/tin-boats/5...deo-rt188.html

I dont know anything about texas lakes so take butons advice there. If it is very windy at times perhaps an 80 lb tm will be better. I dont think its much of an upcharge from 70-80 as far as cable steer. The wireless models do off the spotlock feature and follow contours etc which is cool but I have never had a problem with cable steer either. It keeps you busy in the wind tho these boats blow around easy. One plus to cable steer for me is I have comete comtrol over it when I want to turn quick to back up quick etc it does it when I do it no sensors and electronic controls to wait on. That technology keeps getting better and better tho.

The optimax pro xs engines are a fantastic engine. Fuel efficiency is insanely good. Yes they are a DFI like the rude and use very little oil. They dont smoke have turn key starting in all weather and are very quiet. Dfi if you shop around can be has for about $ 30-35 per gallon. A 3 gallon case lasts me about 2 years. This will vary by use tho. I think you are making a good choice for your first boat. Welcome to BBC.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    The RT188 is a nice boat and with your busy work schedule, you won't break the bank getting on the water for those precious non working days. Wind is a factor when tin fishing, but 24 volts will help ease the effort. The Opti 115 is a great motor. Oil consumption is not a bank breaker as you will be amazed how little it uses. That rig as described will make you smile each time you blast across the lake or sneak into a cove and work the shore.

7. Member
    True they don't use very much oil. I have one myself and it's been the best outboard I have had had so far.but looking to future who knows if two strokes will even be here. Plus the new technology in the new four strokes are great. I have yet to drive one myself to compair hole shot. But consider resale down the road. I would think the four stroke would hold its value better since they are taking over the market. You will for sure get different opinions on this. I'm struggling with it myself. I would think if you troll a lot with the outboard a 4 stroke would be better. But either way as far as reliability on either you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Lee0250; 01-20-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Good choice with the RT188 - It is basically the same boat I have and I love mine. Whether you buy the Maxxum 70 or 80, be sure it is variable speed ( I think the 80 only comes in variable but the 70 may be a 5 speed unless you specify). I think Minn Kota calls it Maximizer.
    You don't have a cover listed. If you store it outside, you will need one. My boat is on a lift in my boat stall most of the year and I still use the cover to keep the afternoon sun off.
    You may want to consider the optional step up to the front deck. You are probably much younger than me so it may not be a concern.
    I have the 115 Pro XS but if I had to do over, I would get the 4 stroke.
    The only lake in North Texas that I fish is Lake Fork and I know how rough it can get when the wind is blowing from the West. The boat handles rough water well but not that well. You nay have to hide in a cove and wait out the worst winds.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Thanks for the replies! Lakes close to me include lavon, Ray Hubbard, tawakoni, fork, Ray Roberts, joe pool. One of the draws of this setup is that i can garage it. I toyed with the idea of s center console, but probably not the best choice for 90% bass fishing.

10. Member
    Only change I'd make is the Fortrex. As far as Optimax, mine is the best motor I've ever owned. I'm getting Opti oil for less than 30, so check the price of a 4s oil change for apples to apples comparison. I'm sure the rest are tired of hearing it - the hole shot of the 4s motors takes 50% longer, and the gas mileage isn't better. One more thing, look at the price of the 4s with a 3 year warranty versus the Opti with 3+3 year warranty.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Only change I'd make is the Fortrex. As far as Optimax, mine is the best motor I've ever owned. I'm getting Opti oil for less than 30, so check the price of a 4s oil change for apples to apples comparison. I'm sure the rest are tired of hearing it - the hole shot of the 4s motors takes 50% longer, and the gas mileage isn't better. One more thing, look at the price of the 4s with a 3 year warranty versus the Opti with 3+3 year warranty.
    Priced mercury 10w30 about 30 dollars a gallon and filter around 9 dollars. As for warranty that's a different story.

Is the hole shot talking about the new Mercury 2.1 liter four stroke or previous model? The command thrust should make hole shot about the same. Not for sure though.

The command thrust model will have a great holeshot with the 2.38:1 gear ratio. This new motor has come a long way from the previous model which I have driven and they are kindof eh in all aspects and they were heavy. That being said giving the choice I would still take the opti mine has been perfect for just shy of 5 years and its easy to maintain. Is not a single thing that I dont like about it.

I second what Bill said about getting variable speed for the TM tho. Be careful on the 70 most are standard 5 speed. I have a 5 speed motorguide while it has been a good trolling motor variable would be much nicer.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    Good info. I don't get the difference between a variable speed tm and a 5 speed. Isn't the 5 speed by definition a variable speed?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agdoc2000 View Post
    Good info. I don't get the difference between a variable speed tm and a 5 speed. Isn't the 5 speed by definition a variable speed?
    Variable has settings between o-100. You can put the speed anywhere in that range you want. You are not limited to to just 5 settings. Variable gives you a lot better fine tuning to the speed you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee0250 View Post
    True they don't use very much oil. I would think if you troll a lot with the outboard a 4 stroke would be better. But either way as far as reliability on either you can't go wrong.
    When we fish for stripers/hybrids we do a lot of trolling and my partners Opti sips gas and oil, it is rather stingy on both so it doesn't cost us much when we troll. I probably will go with the Merc 4S when I order my boat but would not be afraid to buy the Opti instead. Either motor is a good choice so it is going to be what you think is best for you.

You said you were looking at fishing for trout and redfish, if you do that you need to make sure you buy a trolling motor designed to use in salt water so you shouldn't buy the standard TM's that are shown for the boat. You need to look at both Motorguide's and Minn Kota's selections for salt water use.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

You are buying an awesome boat for fishing. It excels when you put the trolling motor down and fish. The RT fishes better as far as stability and getting into the shallows than any aluminum I have ever fished from...
    The variable speed also will give you more battery life ... At least that is what I have read. The variable speed will allow you to go slower than the #1 setting on a 5 speed for slower, quieter operation in shallow stuff...I have a MK Maxuum 80 variable speed and am happy with it. I stay on a TM a lot of the day and have never ran the batteries down.

I pretty much agree with all Bill Reynolds had to say above. Except --- even if I was young I would add the step. I made one for my boat and it is handy. If you don't order the option then you will probably make one yourself someday...

I would definitely get a four stroke. Go to a boat store online like Anglers Choice or pretty much any of the big dealers and check their stock. Pretty much all four stroke motors at 150 or 115 and below. They know what's up. The resale will probably be better too. I like the Yamaha very much and would buy it again in a heartbeat --- but also think the Merc 4S would be a good selection. Just buy the 4S. I think within the next couple of years Merc will even stop making the 2 stroke 115.

After reading your initial post I believe I would also suggest you buy the aluminum Ranger trailer. The add is about $500 and if you are think some brackish water - get the aluminum. If I could change one thing on my boat, it would be thatI would buy the aluminum trailer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ranger regular trailer but you are thinking some salt or brackish use maybe -- get the aluminum channel trailer.

As far as the wind... If it is too windy to fish from the RT188, stay home. It handles wind pretty well up to about 15 MPH and I fish Texas too. I never liked fishing in bad wind even in the glass boats I have owned. I would rather fish in the rain than the wind.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    The command thrust model will have a great holeshot with the 2.38:1 gear ratio. This new motor has come a long way from the previous model which I have driven and they are kindof eh in all aspects and they were heavy. That being said giving the choice I would still take the opti mine has been perfect for just shy of 5 years and its easy to maintain. Is not a single thing that I dont like about it.

I second what Bill said about getting variable speed for the TM tho. Be careful on the 70 most are standard 5 speed. I have a 5 speed motorguide while it has been a good trolling motor variable would be much nicer.
    I went to look at mercury's website and they showed to do maintenance every at 100hr and 300hr. I assume that's just oil change since they say everything else is maintainence free. From what website says the oil change is very simple on those models.

18. Member
    Wow guys. Thanks for the great info. I coild grtta used skeeter tzx190 w yam 150 for a very similar price....thoughts?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agdoc2000 View Post
    Wow guys. Thanks for the great info. I coild grtta used skeeter tzx190 w yam 150 for a very similar price....thoughts?
    Also you could get a new left over fiberglass 17 pro from triton. They are actually lighter than the rt 188. Some very good prices on those right now.

Go with the RT for sure. I fish Lake Fork and especially Lake Caddo and I wouldn't want to be in a glass rig in some of the spots I've been. Welcome to the boards and buy what the heck you want, it's your money.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast