Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Go with the RT for sure. I fish Lake Fork and especially Lake Caddo and I wouldn't want to be in a glass rig in some of the spots I've been. Welcome to the boards and buy what the heck you want, it's your money.
    Im still leaning toward the RT188. How do like it on Fork? Caddo is a beautiful lake. Any issues at all with towing, trailering, keeping fish alive in the livewell, getting blown around?

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    buy what the heck you want, it's your money.
    Ask for opinions, information and get advice ..... But in the end - this is absolute truth. You only do it seldom and it probably has to last a while and get what makes you happy.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Agdoc2000 View Post
    Im still leaning toward the RT188. How do like it on Fork? Caddo is a beautiful lake. Any issues at all with towing, trailering, keeping fish alive in the livewell, getting blown around?
    Last time on Fork it was windy but I still fished, also got high center on a log and had to crank the Rude to get off, why I'm glad I got a tin. Tows like a dream and as far as the livewell I can tell you I left Bob Sandlin with fish in the livewell in July and arrived home in Alvarado and they were still swimming. It will move around in the wind but not much more than any glass boat I have owned. I was on Caddo last March when a cold front was coming through and the wind was blowing me sideways while running on pad, still a dry ride, now of course I wasn't on the big lake but made for a cold ride back to the cabins.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

4. Member
    from which dealer are you buying the boat?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buton View Post
    from which dealer are you buying the boat?
    Diamond sports marine on Lake fork.

Cabelas by my house has some 2014 for sale at a slightly higher price, but they give you a 1000 dollar gift card.

6. Member
    have you check outdoor specialties in eastland tx?

7. Member
    i fish on Grand lake in ne oklahoma with the wind and the forty ft. crisers never had a problem. my rt188 with the opti max 115 does great. oil use is no factor really used less than a gallon all summer and fall. get the talon also i love mine and it hanging off the back still run around 48 mph on the gps.

8. Member
    Guys...i need help. Found a nice used skeeter with low hours. here are my options as I see it

Option 1:
    Brand new 2015 Ranger RT188 in maroon (gig em)
    115 HP merc pro xs
    single console
    obviously with warranty
    dual mark 5 depth finders
    MK maxx 70 (5 speed i think)
    3 bank charger
    fit and finish of a Ranger
    Max MPH 45ish

25700 out the door

Option 2:
    used skeeter 2011 zx190
    Yamaha vmax 175 HP HPDI
    dual console
    dual hds 5 (gen 1 i think)
    MK maxx 80
    keel guard
    good reviews on this site
    38 hrs on motor
    max mph 60ish
    no warranty

28000 out the door

Im bleesed to be able to buy a boat this year! Any thoughts? All opinions welcomed.

9. Member
    Again I really think it depends on what your needs are for a bass boat. In your backyard for yard work do you need a wheelbarrow or a small tractor?

[QUOTE=Agdoc2000;5709300]Guys...i need help. Found a nice used skeeter with low hours. here are my options as I see it

Option 1:
    Brand new 2015 Ranger RT188 in maroon (gig em)
    115 HP merc pro xs
    25700 out the door

Option 2:
    used skeeter 2011 zx190
    Yamaha vmax 175 HP HPDI
    no warranty
    28000 out the door

Well the Ranger is a great deal no doubt. the Skeeter should be a great deal but there should be a transferrable warranty available on the motor from Yamaha. The Skeeter does have a transferrable warranty probably available as well. I would contact a Skeeter dealer and discuss warranties that may be available on the boat. I don't see any reason why there isn't some type of warranty on the motor. You may also be able to talk to your local Yamaha dealer about aftermarket warranties especially with the motor only have 38 hours on it.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

That is low hours for a 2011 boat. Like got limit said depends on what YOU want. Having warranty on a new engine is a plus tho. Unless its a 5 year promotional warranty it was probly a 3 year standard. But like said above an extended warranty can possibly be bought. Worth looking into if you like the boat.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    Thing about used boats............

They are used. If you're okay with it and prefer it then go for it. Just know that the motor (being a 2011) already has substantial hours on it and that some higher hours maintenance and repairs are a significant possibility. There is also the factor of not knowing if the former owner used Sta-Bil at every fillup, compression may be good but could fail soon due to sticky rings (happened to me), or other things. Thus....USED boat.

I bought brand new for these reasons. I wanted to be the only owner for a while. Some people never buy new and always used cars/trucks/boats. They like it that way. I don't. It's your call.

Also, get the boat that best fits what your needs are. Not the prettiest or the fastest. While these are big factors, get what best suits your needs. Bigger boat burns more gas too. A LOT more gas.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

The hpdis are known for being a little thirsty and they like oil. Not as efficient as the optimax engines in the DFI world. Wouldnt call 38 hours substaintial by any means but unless there are service records to go along with it the past is a big guess.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    Ozark...how do you like your setup? can you campare it to a similar sized skeeter or other glass boat?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agdoc2000 View Post
    Ozark...how do you like your setup? can you campare it to a similar sized skeeter or other glass boat?
    HA! Compare to a Skeeter? Nope. I don't know about the older models but I rode in a new boat about 20ft long with the new 250SHO on it and it was the best riding glass boat I've ever been in.

Now this model I don't know about but it's glass......it's going to ride better BUT......you owe it to yourself to take a test ride in both. I can tell you the glass will feel and ride better and it will be faster. Again......what do you need from a vessel?

By the way......I did NOT see the boat above only had 38hrs on it as BTO was quick to point to. That's nothing. Barely broke in really. I assumed it had 150-200+. Apologies...
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

I would still like to have service records tho and a compression and leakdown test. Which the dealer should easily perform for you if interested.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I would still like to have service records tho and a compression and leakdown test. Which the dealer should easily perform for you if interested.
    Yeah I wouldn't buy a used boat unless the boat could pee in a cup in my presence, blood tests, leak down tests, compression tests, MRI, stress tests, voltage test, and the Back to the Future Test (connect 1.21 jigawatts to it and if it don't go flaming off into the future, I wouldn't buy it).

I'm making jokes but to get the point across. GET THE MOTOR TESTED AND MAKE THE DEALER WARRANT IT for a least some short time period. A few months, 6mo, something.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

These are two completely different boats.
    I could understand deciding between and new metal Tracker or the Ranger or G3 .... Or I could see deciding between the used Skeeter and a used Ranger glass boat and a used Triton glass boat ---- or something like that. But you have two completely different boats.

My opinion is that you should think about how you will use the new boat and where you will use it. How do you fish and the type of water.....Decide what type of boat you want and go from there... Just my thoughts. They are completely different boats.

My only other thought is that the Skeeter price is higher than I personally would pay for a 4 year old boat. You are in the general ballpark of a brand new Charger similar and I would also be more impressed with it if it had a Yamaha four stroke. I am not a HPDI fan personally.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

19. Member
    If your also considering an 18 ft glass boat NEW for about the same cost of the RT188, take a look at the new Triton 179 TRX. 18' 6", rated for a 115, same as the Rt. Both are great boats, just different.

20. Member
    The deck on smaller glass boats are WAY smaller. Almost any Tin boat brand today has a much larger front deck.

I've had fellas at the dock tell me....
    "Man. Your deck is way bigger than mine and my boat is 20ft!" (Older Ranger glass rig)

Just something to consider also.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast